Sign in to follow this  
tvscum

Off to Palm Springs to test ride a Ducati Scrambler

I was able to muscle my way into the Palm Springs national press launch of the Ducati Scrambler on Tuesday. Most of the national motorcycle media get take an entire day with a 100 mile loop from Palm Springs up 243 to Idyllwild and back down 74.

Since we are local media, we get it for three hours. But those national press types don't know how to ride that puppy in the sand. Our report will air on Channel 8 on Thursday, I think.

Here are some national reviews out of Palm Springs last week.

On the other hand, maybe I'll just wait for this Husky black bad boy Scram to hit the market!!!

http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/11/08/husqvarna-vitpilen-and-swartpilen-concept-motorcycles-first-look-review-photos-at-eicma-2014/

Husqvarna_Svartpilen_left-590x393.jpg

Imagine a College Kid who idolized Joel Robert working for Edison Die in La Mesa and all these motos around.

The closest I got to riding a Husky or CZ was selling programs at Indian Dunes when the Europeans came over.

IMG_1345_zps3c9a5c82.jpg

IMG_1346_zps2135c331.jpg

Here's a bit of GoPro video of the ride. It looks like our broadcast report will air on (EDIT: NEW AIR DATE) CBS News 8 in San Diego on TUESDAY, DEC 23 on 5 p.m. newscast. My overall impressions is that the Ducati Sram is a great street bike for a first time rider. Very fun. However, as we all know, dirt bikes have a 21" front rim. My Triumph Scram has a 19" front rim. The Ducati Scram has an 18" front rim. This affects the off-road handling on rocky dirt roads.

On the other hand, the Ducati is 400 lbs, while the Triumph Scram is 500 lbs. The Ducati has much more power and fun factor on the street.

More review on air Thursday. We have an interview with Ducati and more video for the on air report.