Sign in to follow this  
mtnmanseth

Help w top end on GasGas please

Ladies, Gentlemen, RiggerDan:

It ain't the ideal time of year to do this, I know, but my beloved and trusty steed, the mighty Spanish senorita aka GasGas, has decided it's time I freshen up the ol' top end.... the original 9 yr old base gasket failed last weekend. To the best of my knowledge, the bike has about 150 hours on the original top end (100 of those hours by yours truly) so it's time anyhow. I've never done a top end before, and am kind of excited to get it going and completed (I'll be sending the head off for some machining work, too). First, I need help measuring the cylinder bore so I can order the best fit Wossner piston kit. I will have her torn apart by tomorrow afternoon, and can travel to you if you'll help me measure the bore. The beer I shall bring shall be cold and delish. Anyone available to assist tomorrow afternoon/evening?

Muchas gracias y saludos, amigos!

seth, you can bring it over and we can measure it. I have a nice mititoyo bore gauge. You can check out the track since you were wanting to come over and work on it also. Would have been better if you had a bike to ride.

You could probably just order a "B" piston too by the way. You don't really need to measure them. Those wossner pistons are good German made stuff, with 150hrs, a B piston is going to work fine.

Perfect, many thanks Spaugh. If you'll PM me your address and phone number, I'll let you know when I can come by with cylinder jug in hand. The cylinder has an "A" stamped on the back, and most guys on the GG forum say that a "B" size works great after first piston, but let's measure and see...

I sure appreciate all the friendly, generous, helpful folks I've met on this site! And RiggerDan.

Two stroke top ends are a piece of cake. I did a KDX200 top end when I was 14. Unbolt, inspect, replace parts, rebolt, go.

Good luck.

Cheah, I wish it were that easy for my Type A personality... just put in the same stuff and go. But there are so many variables to research and decide on for technerds like myself... different base gasket thicknesses, different piston materials (i.e. forged vs cast), different piston sizes (that vary by only 0.0005"), custom head machining options for more low end torque, do I use Iridium plug or regular... yada yada yada. Actually, though, I love this stuff. I do find zen in the art of motorcycle maintenance...

Thanks again for all the support, SDAR.

Spaugh's the right guy to have in your corner....

Good luck on your endeavor, this seasons off to great start weather wise, the trails are calling mtn man