Sign in to follow this  
BriKman

What is East of the Saw Mill?

Doing our 3rd annual shortest day of the year race the sun down to Mike's in a couple of weeks. Sticking to the typical route, but looking to see if we can stay around east side of Saw Mill and make it down through to race course above Catarina, plenty of roads back there according to E32 (see red highlights on attached image, blue and pink are known routes) but probably mostly gated, anyone ever get through that way?

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-10%20at%205.07.4

If I remember right from a ride I did years ago where I got hypothermia so bad from stupidly being an unprepared newbie, there was bad rocky drops to the desert, think stagecoach as being a good road.

Years ago a lot of fences started going up. yes a lot of roads but never figured it out because we were always on the way to Mikes. Exploring that area might be good if you have a local along. Always seemed a bit sketchy and remote . Now most of the routes go south for awhile then cut over to the east.

If anyone has more information let us know .

Was reminded on another board that 2006 500 went back there, dug up my old gps file and sure enough. We tried coming up from the south last year and ran into gate, others have said the same from other directions, so pretty sure the area is generally off limits. We have a couple of Ensenada locals riding with us so will have them ask at Ramona's, but at this point I am doubtful.

Here is 2006 500 track through that area.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-11%20at%209.27.2

hows the leg doing?

It is " OK " I guess . Been riding Mtn.bikes . Took my 800 out for a street ride last weekend. But I will stay off the dirt bike yet for awhile . Can only hike around a mile before I want to come back in. I am in no hurry to get back on the dirt bike .