danrider

Getting Ready for AZ Back Country Route

I have been preparing for my next trip, I plan on doing AZ Back Country Route at the begging of February 2015. I been trying out some new gear, tires and working on my front fork suspension. I am going to put in some new springs in the front because the stock ones are rated for 160 pounds, to soft. I do enjoy this bike, it is really nimble and I had no trouble in the sand. I am on my way to Big Bear this week and plan on doing some trails down to the desert. post-13882-0-69676900-1416796040_thumb.j

Cool. I'm in pre-planning stage for AZ Back Country Route in the spring. I'm curious on why you choose February? Going to be coooooold

Cool. I'm in pre-planning stage for AZ Back Country Route in the spring. I'm curious on why you choose February? Going to be coooooold

The south part of it will still get into the upper 70's during the day, It will get cold in the upper elevations. I really enjoyed camping on my AK trip and it only got a couple of times in the 30s. I want to try it in preparations for a larger trip in the future. I just want to make sure I have all the right gear, most of us know how our gear does in fair weather, I will let you know how it works out for me.

Most likely part of the route will be closed in February. We did it in June and it was in the 30's up on the rim. Most of this ride is above 7k feet. Great trip and would do it again. But not till May at earliest.

We easily rode to Pioneer Pass just south of Globe the first day. The first part is easy/ fast. Then 2 more days to get to Navajo res. The whole deal takes 4 days. We then rode north rim to Mesquite then slabbed it home.

once on the rim i plan on going over through the pumpkin patch then through coyote ranch, that is still all dirt and accessible year round.

Gents,

I'd love to do this route...may or june...let me know if it suits. Actually looking to get a team together for the Continental Divide...but having done half of it before this looks a great option

Kris