kato

reminder-dont forget your shock bearings

With my rear wheel off I noticed some play in my swing arm. It was coming from my bottom shock bearing. Inspected and this is what my spherical bearing looked like.. with help from Suspension101 I was able to identify it. And then find a shinny one eventually.

Granted my beater is old (ohh do I love it) but it never hurts to check, pretty easy to overlook this one (on mine the bushings hide the bearing completely)

CAM00507_zps608a6f3d.jpg

--------------

Original post:

Just noticed mine blew up and trying to ride sunday. Its the bottom bearing/eyelball joint thingy. bushings (in my hand) seem fine. Its a older (90s) WP shock.

I asked suspenders and hope he'll work his usual magic but maybe someone else knows where to find this local?

Thanks

CAM00497_zpsbc21eed6.jpg

Go to Google type in "bearing supply san diego" There are a bunch of bearing supply houses in SD.

Also try Marshalls Industrial Hardware:

8423 Production Ave.
San Diego, CA 92121

Mcmaster-Carr might have it but will take a day or two for shipping

How about a motorcycle salvage?... Again go to google "motorcycle salvage san diego"

Take the whole shock with you.

You may need to replace the seals too.

Hope you can find something.

George did find something very close but the seals def dont match (and mine crumbled upon removal together with the spherical bearing).

Jim, thanks, I ll give a try at your options today.

Rod End Supply 800-284-2902

rodendsupply.com

got it, thanks guys. Updated first post.

///

About that little 25mm OD spherical bugger:

Standard size for those 15mmID bearings, according to local bearing places, is 26mmOD. My WP uses 25mm. Pivotworks has a 25mm bearing kit (includes the dust seals etc) that retails for over $70. Yikes. Found out that KTM has a lot of bikes using those 25mm bearings on their shocks so I called a few places and the oem KTM part is $85, bearing alone!!!! even some salesreps couldn't believe it over the phone and offered discounts without me even asking ah! Still, $50 for a bearing is pretty steep even if you aren't poor like me.

Plenty of googleing lead me to a thread on CafeHusky where the poster had the same issue and found a solution, an AllBalls shock bearing kit that fits (apparently allballs purchase 26mmOD bearings and grind them down to make those kits), $20.

and that's my story. see you on the trail.