Boston Mangler

Here is MY Comm Setup (wireless/bluetooth option)

Hey Guys

I got the RR setup. Although super stout, and well proven rugged, just too much cables and such for me.

Broke my neck 2 years ago, and even though i have heard from a bunch of people that they disconnect easy in a dismount, the thought of having something connecting my head to the bike just weirds me out... Yeah, i'm a freak, so be it..

My Goal/Wants out of this system is the following:

-Streaming Music from iPhone with good quality (not Bowers level good, but good for me)

-My own ear buds to fit comfortable in my big Dumbo ears

-PTT cancels music and returns to music after done talking

-Turn by turn directions if i so choose (google maps via phone)

-Wireless

Here is what i did (thanks to Vacman for the tips)

Anyway.. Since replacing my helmet after the big crash, i started with brand new Shoei VFX-W, since the last one fit like a glove and saved my life, i figured a repeat.

I wanted everything as small and unobtrusive as possible.

For the Helmet comm, i went with the Sena SMH10R:

http://www.sena.com/product/intercoms/smh10r/

I then added the little chingadora plug to use my own earbuds instead of the big annoying helmet speakers:

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/earbud-adapter-cable/

To get the phone and the radio working together happily i used the SR10 Bluetooth 2 Way Radio Adapter:

http://www.sena.com/product/product/sr10/

I then got the jumper for the SR10 to the Baofung:

http://www.sena.com/product/accessories/2-way-radio-cable-for-kenwood-twin-pin-connector/

The basic gist is:

Plug the radio into the SR10, the SR10 connects via bluetooth to the SMH10R headset, and to my phone.

The PTT button on the handlebars cancels out the streaming Bieber jams from my phone, and activates the comms.

Incoming comms also cancel out music. Once conversation is over, music comes back.

Just finished putting it all together, put radio, SR10, and phone in my tankbag and went into yard with my helmet on. Music is crystal clear and sounds great. Havent tested actually talking to someone via radio yet, but everything appears to be working great!

The ONLY downside i see to this setup, is the PTT assembly is pretty flimsy compared to the RR or PCI stuff. I got a spare and will keep it with me. I might have a electronics nerd buddy try to just wire the SR10 style connector onto a RR switch and call it good.

Time will tell how this all works, but for now, i am stoked, and looking forward to it.

Any questions or comments, lemme know

Here are some pics.

Thanks

post-142-0-98043400-1411007705_thumb.jpgpost-142-0-25996300-1411007734_thumb.jpgpost-142-0-67546300-1411007757_thumb.jpg

That's basically the setup I have. Did you bluetooth your phone to the SR10 or your SMH10? Cause the SR10 will not do A2DP and comes though with MONO sound.
Also know there is a delay between when you receive a radio signal and when the music cuts out and the radio transmission comes though.

It's possible to miss the first part of the conversation. Usually on group rides with SDAR I leave my music off mostly seems to shorten the delay a pretty good bit. I just make sure to key my mike and listen for the channel to open before I start talking.

You can go in and change the programming on the SMH so you will have a sidetone.

That's basically the setup I have. Did you bluetooth your phone to the SR10 or your SMH10? Cause the SR10 will not do A2DP and comes though with MONO sound.

Also know there is a delay between when you receive a radio signal and when the music cuts out and the radio transmission comes though.

It's possible to miss the first part of the conversation. Usually on group rides with SDAR I leave my music off mostly seems to shorten the delay a pretty good bit. I just make sure to key my mike and listen for the channel to open before I start talking.

You can go in and change the programming on the SMH so you will have a sidetone.

I bluetoothed both the phone and the SMH10 to the SR10 (that's what its for). Seems to work great. But haven't had an actually radio check yet.

Leaving the music off isn't an option. If i rode without music, i would probably end up upside down in a bush. :)

How is yours setup?

Thanks

Glad you're getting dialed in. Like Downs I have my phone synced to my helmet. That way I don't have to have the sr10 with me unless I'm doing a radio ride. There is a slight delay in my experience but nothing terrible and certainly not worth giving up GPS, music and phone for. I may not use them all the time but it sure is nice when I do. :)

Only if you have to go with the fancy new Sena like Kevin did. If you do an SMH5 you're within $50 and you can use it on every ride. Not to mention with a $20 kit you can easily move it from helmet to helmet. I have an RF1100, a Hornet and a VFX-W and one Sena that I can move between helmets depending on the kind of ride I'm doing.

Mounting the radio in the tank bag is going to be less than ideal and will significantly impact the range. Ideally the radio mounted vertical in a backpack is one of the more optimum locations but then you're back to having cables again. I've long toyed with the idea of mounting the radio on the bike but never have been able to come up with a satisfactory antenna mounting location. I've seen the antenna mounted down along the fork tube but that greatly impacts the radiation pattern as well as the swr. It's an interesting concept and I'd be interested in ideas. I don't need\want my phone or anything else hooked up as I ride to get away from that stuff but I realize the world spins differently for everyone. As for your concern regarding having a cable attached between you and the bike it's a non issue. When I had my big getoff at the Dash the harness just unplugged itself. I was amazed that it didn't even damage the cable whatsoever. Still using it today.

Yeah... I know it won't be "ideal" but the way i had it setup yesterday seemed OK. Will be testing it tonight with a buddy.

In top of the Wolfman tankbag i punched a tiny hole, the antenna coming out of the top front of the bag, pointing up. I will try to snap a pic later.

I also wrap the radio and SR10 in a towel, to help prevent accidental keying and what not.

I'm not too concerned with having a big range, IF i need to, i can remove it all from bag pretty easily.

I don't need/want my Phone, for any "Phone" related things, ie calls and such, but i always have to have some sort of music, background noise when i am riding. Been doing it for years, and feels really weird without it, especially on longer rides.

As for the cables, yeah, i am sure it is a non issue, as many have told me that, i think its more of just a mental thing for me. Piece of mind really.

Thanks for input

Only if you have to go with the fancy new Sena like Kevin did. If you do an SMH5 you're within $50 and you can use it on every ride. Not to mention with a $20 kit you can easily move it from helmet to helmet. I have an RF1100, a Hornet and a VFX-W and one Sena that I can move between helmets depending on the kind of ride I'm doing.

There are quite a few slightly used units on ADVrider right now for short $

And of course, this JUST came out after i redid setup. hahaha:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=724&products_id=1565

Not sure if it works with Moto setup or not, but cool nonetheless

Saw that email too. It's only for wired intercom systems like in a truck or UTV. Pretty awesome for those guys though. :)

The way I have mine setup right now is the SR10 only handles radio duty. My Radar Detector when I run it has a big block of lights on top that are impossible to miss so I don't wire that into the SR10. My phone is bluetoothed to my helmet because the SR10 transmits in mono bluetooth (unless there's been some firmware update I don't know about) and sounds like crap.

Buddy came over with his wired PCI Race Radios setup.

Radio to radio Crystal clear

Both using Wired comms, he could hear me Crystal clear, i could barely hear him

Me using Bluetooth setup, I could now hear him Crystal clear, but he could barely hear me. Hmmmm

Will mess with it more later.

Thanks for the tips