Sign in to follow this  
unclecameron

Riding Boots?

Looking for a decent set of dualsport riding boots that have the following:

1. Breathable

2. Cover at least mid-calf (the area I kick my cylinders with)

3. Work on street and mud/sand

4. Don't look like astronaut gear, in case I want to go somewhere respectable (it could happen)

5. Flexible so I don't have to walk like a robot

Anyone had any good experiences?

Oxtar Infinity (BMW Savanna)

Satisfactory overall, but not brilliant for any of your mentioned tasks, and very weak on rocks.

Offering more protection from rocks (and the bike), MX boots are not waterproof and are cumbersome in the twisties or strolling about town. The Savannas feel like sneakers off the bike. Just keep them cinched up to support your ankles in the rough stuff.

Sidi makes a dual sport boot, I believe called the Discovery. Not as tall or bulky as a regular MX boot, but tall enough and waterproof, so they claim.

The SIDI Discovery is a nice boot that will do what you want it to do. Comfortable right out of the box. Feels like a regular(street) boot, and you don't have to walk around like a robot. They don't have the total protection as a true MX boot, but for dualsporting, they give the support that is needed. They are waterproof too.

rick

In a thread I started about boots about a year ago, someone rcommended Icon Field Armor boots. I was surprised to find out Amazon dot com sells them. He got his boots at FBC, but Cycle Gear might carry them in one of their stores if you want to see feel and touch before you buy.

here's a pic

615CH2S35ZL._SS500_.gif

and another

ml-kdztblg.jpg

I have a pair of Icon Motorhead boots which I bought at Cycle Gear. I think they give almost as good protection around the foot as the Alpinestar Tech 7 I'm using now. The downside is that they aren't the mid-calf boot you're looking for; they only come up to the ankle.

ICON MOTORHEADS FOR A NIGHT ON THE TOWN

Motorheadboot.jpg

THEY EVEN COME IN BLACK FOR EVERYDAY USE.

1g11678.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a few hours to read about boots, try this thread from ADV rider.

Not sure the Icon boots go up high enough, I have serious leg damage from a skiing accident where I almost lost my left leg, so I need a little more protection up the calf...right where I kick those dang cylinders on the pig :lol: I looked at the SIDI Discovery a little bit, not too thrilled with the big white logo on the heel and the weird grey soles, would prefer to wear something more subtle into restaurants. Looking at the BMW Santiago, which was comfy, anyone had any experience with those? Bit pricey, those :lol:

Looking for a decent set of dualsport riding boots that have the following:

1. Breathable

2. Cover at least mid-calf (the area I kick my cylinders with)

3. Work on street and mud/sand

4. Don't look like astronaut gear, in case I want to go somewhere respectable (it could happen)

5. Flexible so I don't have to walk like a robot

Anyone had any good experiences?

I wear these on the street: Classic "Terminator" Engineer Boots

Except mine are steel toe......think I bought'em at Sears for ~$60.....

Yeah, I was thinking about Doc Marten's with a steel toe and high calf too, but I don't think they'd breathe, the BMW ones look like you could ride with them partially opened to get airflow in desert heat, though I'm not sure it really works like that. Also wondering if the Gore-Tex liners do anything except raise the price :lol:

Also wondering if the Gore-Tex liners do anything except raise the price :lol:

I've never had a motorcycle boot with a Gore-Tex liner, but I've used regular hiking boots with Gore-Tex liners. The ones I used were Rocky something or other - Rocky makes lots of different model boots. When they were new, I could walk around in the water all day and it wouldn't soak through, but my feet would start to feel damp after about an hour. Walking around on a dry day, they would breathe better, but not quite as well as regular hiking boots.

After about six months of use, they wouldn't be waterproof anymore - walk through an ankle-deep puddle and start to feel the water seep in. I thought the water seeped through where the upper joined the sole, but I'm not sure.