Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

need a new ignition and key

I snapped my key in the steering lock and now I have no key for my bike. No, I don't want to take it back and buy a honda, so what should I do? A new ignition is 85$. I can put a 2$ radio shack switch on it, but I like having a key. Anyone know a place to get a cheapy ignition and key set?

Sounds like you already found the cheap alternative. It cost more than $85 to get a key made for the old ignition.

I snapped my key in the steering lock and now I have no key for my bike. No, I don't want to take it back and buy a honda, so what should I do? A new ignition is 85$. I can put a 2$ radio shack switch on it, but I like having a key. Anyone know a place to get a cheapy ignition and key set?

Talk to the dealer. Your bike is new enough they may be able to get a key made from the VIN. They can do it with a $8000 car, you would think they could do it with an $8000 bike. Just a thought. :) Ken

Guest Hammerin Hammon

:):):D

What the dealer used to be able to do, and I don't know if it can (still) be done for all brands, but what they did use a book with codes, and there would be a specific code in this book that went to a VIN and then they had a blank and a hand held key cutter, and Viola! they would cut a key. Last time I tried to have one done for my street Kawasaki, they couldn't do it though and that was around 1990. I got a blank and had a key maker do up a spare off of my mangled key. I had to file and work the new key until it fit and worked. Other than that, you can get aftermarket ignition sets or go to salvage and pick up a cheap used ignition set, it just won't be for a KTM.

the bike was used when I bought it so no dealer is going to wanna deal with me is my guess. I still have the snapped half so maybe I can get a spare made from that/?? If not I'll put a switch on now and keep an eye out for a cheapy. And next time I'll definetly buy a honda :):D:D:P:D:D:):D:D

the bike was used when I bought it so no dealer is going to wanna deal with me is my guess. I still have the snapped half so maybe I can get a spare made from that/?? If not I'll put a switch on now and keep an eye out for a cheapy. And next time I'll definetly buy a honda :):D:D:P:D:D:):D:D

Well, I have a Honda key and ingnition available. PM me if you are interested.

It was the only good part of the bike so I kept it. :P

I just got another 450exc and got 2 keys with it, ask the seller if they have the other one