ADV Bum

Escrow/ Title Co ?

Checking to see if we have any connections for an escrow/ title company. I have a simple empty lot transaction. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I do not have any recommendations but I do have one to avoid , Chicago Title . A few years ago I paid them $1100 to do a title search on 5 acres I was looking to purchase in central Ca. their search turned up nothing . About 6 mos. later I found out through the county that there were 2 key issues . I contacted them and got a major run around finally to be told to file suit or pound sand , their incompetence cost me $3800

PM sent.

Corpic - don't know your situation but title can only handle issues that are recorded against the property of public record.

They have no knowledge of any local or governmental violations, non conforming zoning, illegal grading etc. - that's what seller disclosures and a good agent are for.

Having said that I recently was told by Chicago Title that a certain property in Escondido was landlocked with no legal deeded access. I did my own work and found not one but two legal easements for access to the property. Took proof to Chicago Title but they still would not insure that these easements were legit so we switched to Fidelity and they insured with proper access.

Yes, we are dealing with the same issue with a rural project. Everyone refuses to accept a microfiche copy of a 1937 court ruling. Again Chicago Title, knock yourself out!

Chicago - I've had issues over the years as well. (omissions, lack of thorough research, yada)

Positive experience(s) with both Fidelity and First American Title.

The only good experience I had with Chicago Title was this cutie that used to work there. Ahhhhh good times ;)

I would NOT recommend Ticor Title in Carlsbad.... Just bought my place last year and used them as it was a seller's requirement. Seemed like ever 48 hours they had a new "requirement" that needed to be met expeditiously... A guy at work had to use them a few months later... Same story....

I think I used First American down in bankers hill on my first house. And remember them being good... But that was 6 years ago.