EKN8404

Trail Tech X2 Off-Road Motorcycle Headlight?

Anyone running the trail tech halogen lights and whats your opinion on it. I have a 2013 500 EXC and looking to switch to that. The Baja designs light is sweet looking and i know is very bright but dont like how it mounts to the bike. Anyone know the big difference from the off road version and the DOT dual sport model? Any advice would be great.

I had one on my DRZ400 and wired it to run high-low simultaneously. Still wasn't very bright for riding in rural, back country where there is no ambient light. Maybe run a cheapie LED like the one Goofy has in conjunction?

Mediocre at best if you want real light output. Get some small LEDs and tie them into your existing wiring. You can get plenty of light for under $100.

Honestly I hardly ever ride at night, so there wont be any crazy desert night riding where you would want max light, however there are sometimes when we are coming back from a days ride and I run out of day light. How good is it for street use, will it blind all the cars with just using the regular low beam?

Haha no. It's no better than your stock headlight. In fact I would ague that it puts out less usable light. It's an upgrade on older bikes or bikes that didn't come with a headlight, but it's no brighter than the current crop of stock headlights. If you want more light for those times you need it and want to be more conspicuous to oncoming traffic during the day then LEDs are the way to go. They use a fraction of the power of a traditional halogen and put out massively more power.

EKN, since your 500 is fuel injected, you're running on DC power and can easily add some LED auxiliary lighting. You could keep the stock hi/low KTM light for street legal use and simply flip on an auxiliary light whenever you occassionally need it after a long trail ride that leaves you in the dark.

ADVmonster sells some auxiliary lighting pods that are small yet powerful and would work for what you're describing. You could mount it like this:

post-14322-0-57664800-1404675402_thumb.j

Available here: http://stores.advmonster.com/model-60-led-off-road-flood-light/

The seller offers an ADV discount and other lights as well.

Here is the light in action. It will easily overpower your stock light on high beam. It will blind other cars and it's not DOT approved but it should work great for off-road trail use!

I have one on my Husky and it was a huge improvement over stock. I have the non Dot, off road version. Plenty of light to get you back to camp like you are looking for and I haven't had any complaints about running it on the road. It was pretty much plug and play, had to dink around and make a lower bracket, but it was just over 100 bucks and so far I'm content.

IMG_1084_zpsaeff79a9.jpg

I just installed a TrailTech X2 on my wife's WR450 after my son crashed it and busted up the stock light. The TT is probably equal to the stock light on the WR, the bike doesn't get ridden much at night so sort of difficlut to say for sure. I got the light for $70 from Powersport Superstore, so am ok with it for the price.

The light is a bit bulky on the back and mounts close to the forks, so if you have any electronics in that area you may need to move things around to get it to fit nicely.

Thanks for all the responses. I might just keep what i have right now, I do like the brightness of the LEDs but prefer style over the function in this case. I might look into the HID version of the TT or look to see what other options they have. I really like the Baja designs squardon light but you have to add brackets and extend your light out a little. In my opinion it looks a little goofy but i know its a very powerful light. My buddy has the 2 LEDs mounted on the side like yours Goofy but and works very well but I prefer the slick look of the stock light or the TT light. I really appreciate all the help though guys, now just gotta figure out what I wanna do.

I really like the Baja designs squardon light but you have to add brackets and extend your light out a little.

I really like the Baja designs squardon light but you have to add brackets and extend your light out a little.

In the 30 + years I've been jacking around with bikes I've never experienced true "plug and play"

In the 30 + years I've been jacking around with bikes I've never experienced true "plug and play"

The ADVmonster LED light for my Husky was plug and play, nicely setup.