Crawdaddy

LA-B-V - Anybody else riding in this event?

Well now you can update this thread with Strega can't you B)

I thought about volunteering to be a pit tootsie but I don't think the scheduling will work for me

Well now you can update this thread with Strega can't you :P

Yep B):D

Roger (and any others) - A few things :rolleyes:

- Get your LA-B-V Entry postmarked BEFORE 11/17 to save a few $$.....

- As discussed, the Giant Loop Saddlebag set-up might work well for you since you could use it on either your 450 or the 625 :huh:

- Tires? The stockers are probably 50/50 dual sport…...I know the bike only has ~450 miles on it but we’ll be riding through some soft/sandy stuff and 50/50 tires aren’t gonna cut it (IMHO)……suggest you switch'em to 80/20 minimum (dirt/street) tires and keep the stockers in the garage for (?)...……I threw on a rear 606 and a front MT16 (haven’t tried a MT16 before but it “looks” better than the MT21 (to me) for soft/sandy “western” conditions …….though it also looks like it won’t last as long……..whatever/only one way to find out……suggest you buy’em mail order, spoon’em on, and save a few $$.....

- Take a look at your drivetrain......it's probably set up stock with 15 or 16/42 (?)......I replaced the 15 counter sprocket with a 16 last night (though I'll be bringing the 15 along).......so I'm going to be running 16/40 (zoom)......same gearing I used riding back from CO........I don't think you want to go too small up front since we'll be covering lot's of miles of open terrain/road.......also don't want Doug leaving us behind on his "Great Pumpkin 950" B):D

- Don't forget to hardwire your Garmin

“Nice to have’s”:

Tugger

Heated Grip elements on your handlebars

Kevin (and any other "ADV Bike" LA-B-V riders)......I spoke to Gil Busick for a while last night about how he laid out this year's LA-B-V route.....

As expected, I think the ADV route will be pretty tame (lame)......lot's of ~35MPH BLM/Pole Line Rds :)

Day 1 - I think we oughta stick with the plan of taking the ADV bikes on the regular Dual Sport route on Day 1 (we'll hit some sand, whoops and a couple of steep downhills, but probably nothing anymore difficult than what we rode in Bishop a few weeks ago.....he said the downhills may be a tad bit steeper but also rockier so they won't be as slippery as Coyote Flats).........

Day 2 - Gil recommended taking the ADV route to Baker (skipping the ~15 miles of sand in Manx Wash and Afton Canyon) then picking up the regular dual sport route again in Baker (Red Rocks just has one short section that's a bit nasty.....the rest of it shouldn't be a problem though there will be some sand/whoops just as on Day 1)......Gil's been one of my riding buddies for years and I trust his judgement/fun meter.....I think Doug, Roger and I will probably adopt his suggested plan for Day 2....

He also suggested skipping Mojave Rd. west of Kelbaker Rd. (with the ADV bikes) on the return trip………I think we oughta plan a separate trip for Mojave Rd. with the small bikes…….and when we ride it from Barstow to Avi we’ll ride through Manx Wash/Afton Canyon and some other stuff we’ll be skipping as part of the LA-B-V, Day 2 morning section……..Gil also suggested that if we're thinking about riding Mojave Rd. in it's entirety from West to East we might want to wait until the Spring when you can haul ass across the dry lake bed rather than having to re-route around the mud (as you may have to do this time of year).

Given his input, fatigue from LA-B-V, potential cold temps in the mtns if we route through Big Bear/Idyllwild on the return, familiarity with Big Bear/Idyllwild, lack of familiarity with Joshua Tree area (for me)……I’m thinking my group of 3 may head south for warmth/new (easy) terrain on the way home……..we’ll probably B-Line for Laughlin on pavement and ride ~225 easy miles of assorted dirt/pavement to the 29 Palms area and stay there on Sunday night……or ride the eastern portion of Mojave Rd. to Kelbaker Rd. then head south to 29 Palms (~260 miles)…….either way we’d head into Joshua Tree fresh on Monday morning with ~200 miles left to make our way home……I'm not really interested in pounding out the entire trip home in one day.....

My tentative plan is to trailer my 02 KTM 400 EXC to Barstow in a Land Rover with my pit tootsie on Friday. Camp or hotel in Barstow, then ride the 250 mile route from Barstow to Vegas on Saturday. Partake in Saturday night activities and trailer bike back to San Diego on Sunday. I am not out to break bones or speed records, so my pace will be very moderate. I will probably have my VX170 and Garmin Rino for this ride.

My tentative plan is to trailer my 02 KTM 400 EXC to Barstow in a Land Rover with my pit tootsie on Friday. Camp or hotel in Barstow, then ride the 250 mile route from Barstow to Vegas on Saturday. Partake in Saturday night activities and trailer bike back to San Diego on Sunday. I am not out to break bones or speed records, so my pace will be very moderate. I will probably have my VX170 and Garmin Rino for this ride.

Check in Friday afternoon/evening if you can......you'll want to be out on the trail early (NLT ~6:30) on Sat. morning.....

Hey Guys

I'll be looking for you guys at the start, or where ever we happen to meet. Out in the middle of the Mohave maybe. I'll be riding with my buddy Ralph, from Lake Isabella, you guys might know him, he been riding lots of dual sport stuff over the years. He used to live in SD. We both ride KTM 450's. Both pretty generic looking. I have the "see thru" Clarke tank, he has the gigantic orange KTM tank. My girlfriend Jennifer is gonna be helping out at sign ups. Will be staying at the Oxford Thursday, Ramada on Friday, and Orleans on Saturday. We will probably try the hard ways Friday (weather permitting) and probably just try to make time Saturday on the easy stuff. I hope we can meet up. I'm gettin' kinda jazzed about doing this ride.

Jim Martin

Hey Guys

I'll be looking for you guys at the start, or where ever we happen to meet. Out in the middle of the Mohave maybe. I'll be riding with my buddy Ralph, from Lake Isabella, you guys might know him, he been riding lots of dual sport stuff over the years. He used to live in SD. We both ride KTM 450's. Both pretty generic looking. I have the "see thru" Clarke tank, he has the gigantic orange KTM tank. My girlfriend Jennifer is gonna be helping out at sign ups. Will be staying at the Oxford Thursday, Ramada on Friday, and Orleans on Saturday. We will probably try the hard ways Friday (weather permitting) and probably just try to make time Saturday on the easy stuff. I hope we can meet up. I'm gettin' kinda jazzed about doing this ride.

Jim Martin

I know Ralph through a few internet exchanges (AKA MrOrange on D37).....I think we've probably BS'd at a few D37 rides and or Dualie/BBTR rides.....we're staying at the Best Western Thursday night, Ramada on Friday, Orleans on Sat......your plan is a good one on the smaller bikes.....try to be in/out of Sandy Valley by 2pm (latest) on Sat so you can incorporate Red Rocks into your ride.....we'll be taking the ADV route to Baker on Sat morning to make some time....

Our tentative game plan for the ride is noted in post 53.....we should be easy to spot - 98' 620 ADV, 01' "Stealth" 640 ADV., 06' 950 ADV

Hoping the rain stops Wed night......

So Crawdaddy... Is it just you and me from SDAR going??? Anyone else???

It's just you and me in terms of our "immediate" group/pairing for the ride out/event/ride back......which is fine with me......I'm not too interested in riding with more than 3-4 (max) in our immediate group......that way we can keep the pace up where it needs to be in order to finish while the sun is still out on Friday/Sat.....still need to fine tune the plan/route for the way home on Sunday or Sunday/Monday......

- Kevin said he has ~6 or 7(?) Ghostriderz lined up.......

- Randy is always a "definite maybe" <_< on any given ride <_< ........he'll probably make up his mind while eating turkey and stuffing on Thursday night before the event start on Friday morning :)

- Strega was making some noise but the logistical hassle will probably knock him out......

[/quo

We have 5 ghost riderz on ADV bikes this year on LA-B-V. Riding to Lancaster, then the ride to Vegas, then riding dirt home on Sunday.

Crawdad-if you want to ride up from SD let me know-we will hit some dirt via Wrightwood on the way. Staying at the Best Western Palmdale thursday! The one in Lancaster is no longer a Best Western!

If you want to know the route home on Sunday-you will have to show the secret handshake-or ride with us!

We have 5 ghost riderz on ADV bikes this year on LA-B-V. Riding to Lancaster, then the ride to Vegas, then riding dirt home on Sunday.

Crawdad-if you want to ride up from SD let me know-we will hit some dirt via Wrightwood on the way. Staying at the Best Western Palmdale thursday! The one in Lancaster is no longer a Best Western!

If you want to know the route home on Sunday-you will have to show the secret handshake-or ride with us!

We'll be "Super Slabbing" our way up Thursday night and staying at the Best Western (Antelope Valley Inn) on Thursday night.....~2 miles from the start line in Lancaster....

Our game plan is to break the ride home into a 2 day jaunt.....see post 53

The director of the ride says the Adventure route is easier and shorter than the Dual Sport route. GPS tracks are only available to paid entrants the day before the ride. I am not interested in riding straight desert roads for long distances so I will take the Dual Sport route. I am interested in knowing which channel riders with the Yaesu VX170 or Garmin Rino plan to use.

I picked up a couple riding buddies for the Dual Sport ride. Maybe we will bump into you guys in Baker. Leave a "Crawdaddy was here!" marker on the trail.

Thanks for weather update Roger.

The director of the ride says the Adventure route is easier and shorter than the Dual Sport route. GPS tracks are only available to paid entrants the day before the ride. I am not interested in riding straight desert roads for long distances so I will take the Dual Sport route. I am interested in knowing which channel riders with the Yaesu VX170 or Garmin Rino plan to use.

I would imagine the Adventure route may be LONGER than the Dual Sport route since its easier terrain......but I haven't seen it so I may be wrong....

Got your PM.........see my post #53.....we plan on riding the Dual Sport route on Day 1 and the Adventure route from Barstow to Baker on Day 2 (skipping Manx Wash/Afton Canyon) followed by the Dual Sport route from Baker to Vegas.....If I was on a smaller bike I'd ride the Dual Sport route in it's entirety as you stated above......you might be able to hook a riding partner on D37..........that being said, you're welcome to join us for Day 2 in it's entirety but it would mean adopting our game plan.......I think it would be too hard to plan a meeting time in Baker.......too many variables and no time to wait around on Day 2......it's a long day regardless of route.....if you dilly-dally on the way to Sandy Valley on Day 2 you’re jeopardizing your ability to reach/ride Red Rocks in Day light......and you really DO NOT want to miss the Red Rocks area.....

As for the VX frequencies.......Doug is our "radio Czar" on this trip.......I don't even know how to turn the radio on yet!!! (picking mine up tonight).....hopefully I'll receive my helmet kit in the mail today......put the heated grips on the 620 yesterday......that oughta help keep the paws warm when the rain starts.....

Weather Report

Wed in Los Angeles - 80% chance of rain - 66 deg (Not a factor)

Thurs in Los Angeles - 10% chance of rain - 64 deg

Friday in Barstow - 10% chance of rain - 61 deg

Saturday in Vegas - 30% chance of rain - 61 deg

Sunday in Laughlin - 10% chance of rain - 65 deg

Monday in San Diego - 0% chance of rain, windy - 72 deg.

"Lunch stop will be in Johannesburg."

(We'll have to take the 2 mile jaunt over to Randsburg to check it out, cool place.)

(We'll have to take the 2 mile jaunt over to Randsburg to check it out, cool place.)

Geez, you're slowing me down already.... :D:D:P

We'll see how we're running timewise when we get there and make the call..........we're already slated to visit Randsburg on the X-Plane ride in Jan so no BFD (to me) if we blow off Randsburg on the LA-B-V ride........hell, I won't even need gas in Johannesburg :P:D .....my focus is on reaching Barstow before Kevin, Randy the rest of the Czech community get there......I'd like to be showered and in the bar when the Ghoster's show up... :P:P:P:P:P

Once you switch out all your gear to all black, you can be part of the Desert Gestapo.

Geez, you're slowing me down already.... :D:D:P

We'll see how we're running timewise when we get there and make the call..........we're already slated to visit Randsburg on the X-Plane ride in Jan so no BFD (to me) if we blow off Randsburg on the LA-B-V ride........hell, I won't even need gas in Johannesburg :P:D .....my focus is on reaching Barstow before Kevin, Randy the rest of the Czech community get there......I'd like to be showered and in the bar when the Ghoster's show up... :P:P:P:P:P

The GHOSTRIDERZ have a habit of arriving after dark for some reason, this is part of the GHOST in GHOSTRIDERZ.

The GHOSTRIDERZ have a habit of arriving after dark for some reason, this is part of the GHOST in GHOSTRIDERZ.

*Might* have something to do with the Ghostriderz usual starting time each morning :huh: , or should I say afternoon :rolleyes::lol::D

*Might* have something to do with the Ghostriderz usual starting time each morning :huh: , or should I say afternoon :rolleyes::lol::D

That could be a valid point? Some say the Ghostiderz are part Vampire, and some say that when you ride at night you leave no tracks.

Crawdaddy, what bar will u be at Friday night? I am staying at the Hampton Inn. My cell is (619) 756-5002. I would like to get some pointers from you on my Garmin Rino 530.

Crawdaddy, what bar will u be at Friday night? I am staying at the Hampton Inn. My cell is (619) 756-5002. I would like to get some pointers from you on my Garmin Rino 530.

Ramada......I don't own a Rino.....bring your cable for the folks to load tracks

I'm all packed but clothes, that's the easiest part I think. I'm REALLY looking forward to this event, this should be a good time for all of us!

Hear ya on the radios soon!

I'm all packed but clothes, that's the easiest part I think. I'm REALLY looking forward to this event, this should be a good time for all of us!

Hear ya on the radios soon!

What a girl :beach: ....though I should probably start at least thinking about getting ready <_< .........but coffee first :ok: ......last minute packing tends to aide me in my "less is more" approach......because the more time I allow to pack the more crap I add to the stack..... :o:P:good: