I have ridden Baja extensively for 13 years. My recommendation to your group is : pack light, pack light, pack light. Unless you are doing only dirt roads if your bike is too heavy you will not enjoy much of the trip especially in the soft sand, sand whoops and technical areas.

I think someone should take or rent a Sat phone for emergencies. A sag vehicle is always a great luxury if you have that. At least one person should have a GPS. Join the Binational Emergency Medical Committee out Chula Vista. Do a google search. If you are hurt they will get you out of Mexico.

Pack everything, ride your bike and decide what to get rid of until you are down to an acceptable weight for you. Try to keep as much weight off your body and on the bike as possible. Try to centralize the weight on the bike. Only use heavy duty tubes or a mousse to prevent flats.

Call me if you have any questions at 858 922-8220 cell.

Byron Chesebro

post-1009-1195448958_thumb.jpg post-1009-1195448983_thumb.jpg

Love the flowers, that would be the one I'd nick! ;-)

Bikes are way too pretty!

Didn't we tell you to pack light????

post-5-1195521179_thumb.jpg

See I packed too much too!

Don't mistake my baggage volume for weight. While they may look large, they will be filled with airy things like my Hopes and Dreams for The Future. :)

But seriously, how am I supposed to carry my velvet fedora without crushing it if I don't have a large bag? Apparently, traveling is much easier for men!

Don't mistake my baggage volume for weight. While they may look large, they will be filled with airy things like my Hopes and Dreams for The Future. :)

But seriously, how am I supposed to carry my velvet fedora without crushing it if I don't have a large bag? Apparently, traveling is much easier for men!

I have a feeling I'll be packing a bunch of Britt's stuff. She keeps saying, "But you have a big RACK!" which is normally something I'm all excited about, not the other way around. I'm putting my foot down on the curling iron (it's just too cruel, dontcha think?).

dk

These are the tools I have gathered together (spare levers at the top). Clayton has the two innertubes strapped to his fender. Is this too much? It would suck mightily to lack something for repairs. John-Mark, you packing the tire irons? I don't have those or a patch kit.

post-1009-1195544010_thumb.jpg

Everything will be going on the bike; all I will have on my body is a waist pack. Erm...and my clothes.

Try not to double up on tools. As you have 3 identical bikes in your group, just add what extra is needed for the 250X. Those not carrying tools can carry some of the other useful stuff. I would also add:

Tow strap (preferably at least 8 ft long)

CO2 cartridges

Some stainless wire (zip ties don't work on hot parts)

Definitely someone needs to bring tire irons (I prefere 3)

Locktite

Duct tape

A good sized rag/towel to spread things out on for a tire change (don't want sand in the bearings)

Valve core remover/extra valve

Appropriate fuses

Spoke wrench

Small can of wd-40

These are the tools I have gathered together (spare levers at the top). Clayton has the two innertubes strapped to his fender. Is this too much? It would suck mightily to lack something for repairs. John-Mark, you packing the tire irons? I don't have those or a patch kit.

post-1009-1195544010_thumb.jpg

Everything will be going on the bike; all I will have on my body is a waist pack. Erm...and my clothes.

Ptooee, I carry more tools than that on a day ride. Where's the JB Weld Qwik? And a tow strap? A little baggie of nuts n bolts, perhaps.....

I hope you all have tools spread out amongst you. I carry enough to take the bike apart down to the frame, most of the time. If you are going to carry too much of something, it might as well be tools.

I carry enough to take the bike apart down to the frame, most of the time.

I mentioned that I packed "My Hopes and Dreams for the Future" in my bag. Well, I also packed my "Calgon, Take Me Away" tool, which will be called upon if for any reason a bike needs to be taken down to the frame. The tool will transport me back to San Diego while my riding partners deal with the broken bike.

I have a feeling I'll be packing a bunch of Britt's stuff. She keeps saying, "But you have a big RACK!" which is normally something I'm all excited about, not the other way around. I'm putting my foot down on the curling iron (it's just too cruel, dontcha think?).

dk

But they make those cute butaine ones now! ;-)

dk

But they make those cute butaine ones now! ;-)

Hey, you, zipit!

Although some who have not read the earlier pages are being repetitious, I do like the reminder about the tow strap. If you cannot source one in time you may borrow mine. I think it's a Moose and is in a small pouch.

Although some who have not read the earlier pages are being repetitious, I do like the reminder about the tow strap. If you cannot source one in time you may borrow mine. I think it's a Moose and is in a small pouch.

I carry one.....small/lightweight.....

Moose Trail Strap

I went to a couple of bike shops looking for a tow strap but had no luck. The auto parts store only had the giant yellow one which weighs as much as one of my wheels. I do have 15 feet of 1" tubular webbing that I bought for the lapsed hobby of climbing. Its strength rating is for something like 4000 lbs so I'll just pack that.

On a lighter note, John-Mark sent me this story:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36297

I'm hoping criminals realize that dirtbikers can't pack much so we're not worth stealing from.

We're home safe and sound. In summary, we learned that LOCTITE IS YOUR FRIEND and even though we were told to pack it we forgot. As such, many bolts were lost, but at least we had spare bolts and a ton of zip ties. More details later. Right now I have a sinus disorder from the high winds going up my nose all day yesterday. That Arai dirt helmet with a shield might be on my shopping list.

post-1009-1196050456_thumb.jpg post-1009-1196050419_thumb.jpg

< See avatar - The Arai XD is a great helmet!

Glad ya'll made it home OK ... and lost bolts just add to "adventure" ...

Is that second pic at the El Cortez is San Filipe?

We're home safe and sound. In summary, we learned that LOCTITE IS YOUR FRIEND and even though we were told to pack it we forgot.

Zip Ties and Duct Tape.....I never ride without'em!!!

Welcome home.....look forward to your report/photos....

< See avatar - The Arai XD is a great helmet!

Glad ya'll made it home OK ... and lost bolts just add to "adventure" ...

Is that second pic at the El Cortez is San Filipe?

I own the arai xd helmet, it is awsome, I can get them for 373.00 OTD from a source in SanMarcos if anyone is interested. By the way it is a SuperMoto helmet but I use it everywhere including Glamis.

I own the arai xd helmet, it is awsome, I can get them for 373.00 OTD from a source in SanMarcos if anyone is interested. By the way it is a SuperMoto helmet but I use it everywhere including Glamis.

I use the poor man version; Simpson GS3-MX with face shield (www.simpsonraceproducts.com/products/product_detail.aspx?cat_id=278&prod_id=4137).

It keeps the dirt out of my eyes even when I’m throwing the motorcycle upsidedown. :) It is still a MX style helmet and allows some air to come in. The face shield dosen’t fog up much. You might want to check them out also.

Roger

We're all back ok, and had a blast. A trip report will follow, but initial advice upon return is: Loctite, more tools, quicksteel NOT jb weld in little containers that will puncture, purpose built dual sport luggage, and suspension work.

dk