Bruce

Clogged Pilot Jet

I will probably get ripped for even suggesting this, but......

Took my XR650L out of winter storage and most of the gas had evaporated from the tank. It was hard to start, wouldn't come off choke and idle smoothly, backfires when coming off gas........classic symptoms of a clogged pilot jet. But, after taking it through the neighborhood a few times and letting it idle for a while, it improved. Still rough, but a little better.

I'm thinking about taking it for a long ride to Mikes next weekend. It's rough, but ridable. Is there a chance that the jet will clean itself out if I just run a tank of fresh gas through it? Is there some additive that would help? Or, once it's clogged, will it stay clogged?

It may clear itself, but you may also win the lottery. So you're saying there's a chance? :upsidedown:

Your main jet "might" get better, but I doubt the idle jet will...been in the same situation many times

Pull the idle and replace it or thoroughly clean it...better yet, buy a new one and install it, then clean the old one for back up

It's a 30 minute job on the XRL-

30 minutes? Don't I have to remove the carb completely? I've never done it, but from the outside it seems like a lot of stuff is in the way. I remember on my old DR350 I could remove the bowl with the carb still on the bike.

My XR was way easier than my DRZ-maybe an hour tops-

I pulled the entire carb to do "Dave's Mods", so don't know if you can rotate it enough without removing

OK, I'm convinced. I'll tear it down tomorrow. It's a stock carb (I think). I wonder if there is anything else I should do, jet wise, while I'm in there.

If it was running well when you put it away, I'd leave the sizing alone if that's what you're asking. That carb would get a full rebuild kit before I ended up in the middle of nowhere but at least make sure things are freed up and everything moves and functions. I'd at least take it apart and blow all the channels out with carb cleaner and get the residue out of the bowl.

Seafoam seems to be a popular additive for keeping things clean and "recovering" a sick carb but I'd tear into it.

Do It now in the comfortable garage with proper tools and time or do it on the side of the trail in the dirt and grime.

In many cases you don't even need to remove the float bowl. The idle / pilot jet can be removed through the drain plug on many carbs.

Takes 10 mins to clean mine.

Z

Stock XRL? I suggest "Dave's Mod"

Search it-bike comes lean from the factory and spools up slowly.

If I remember correctly- a tiny washer to raise the needle, a bigger main and 3 holes added to the slide for quicker acceleration.

Otherwise; as Trophy suggests...back to stock

The Pig is purring once again!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I removed the carb as suggested and cleaned a piece of gorilla snot out of the pilot jet. Started right up and is idling smoothly. Thanks again. I'm heading to Mikes next weekend, if anyone whats to join me.