Boston Mangler

Gorman aka Hungry Valley OHV Area 3-26-2014

I'm actually taking my family up there in the 19th. They wanted to try out off-road riding. I'm renting out the bikes and quads. It sure is going to be fun!

Christi,, is your 250x plated? There is a road that goes through the park and loops around Alamo Mountain. Its a fun loop with two fun trails that spin off it. Snowy creek, double black diamond, but very fun and Miller Jeep trail. They are both listed as closed. Its hard to say based on the website if that loop is open or not but to get there you need a plate. Once you start up the mountain its green sticker again. Its kind of confusing and most rangers will cut you some slack as long as you don't give them crap.

Make sure everyone has a spark arrestor because they all check that.

Christi,, is your 250x plated? There is a road that goes through the park and loops around Alamo Mountain. Its a fun loop with two fun trails that spin off it. Snowy creek, double black diamond, but very fun and Miller Jeep trail. They are both listed as closed. Its hard to say based on the website if that loop is open or not but to get there you need a plate. Once you start up the mountain its green sticker again. Its kind of confusing and most rangers will cut you some slack as long as you don't give them crap.

Make sure everyone has a spark arrestor because they all check that.

I was there last week... That Snowy Creek trail and the other really cool stuff is closed due to some fire earlier in the year.. My buddies that i was with that live up there said its epic! :(

Yeah, definitely have all your stuff legit, they checked out registration and our spark arrestors when we pulled in..

Was the Alamo loop open? I cant imagine how big that fire was that hit both South Frazier and Snowy. Those areas have to be 20 miles apart.

I'm thinking the rangers just don't have the manpower to clear, maintain and patrol those trails.

Last year when I was up there I ran into two rangers on some singletrack that were pretty cool. They were saying that they didn't think they would be around next year.

Was the Alamo loop open? I cant imagine how big that fire was that hit both South Frazier and Snowy. Those areas have to be 20 miles apart.

I'm thinking the rangers just don't have the manpower to clear, maintain and patrol those trails.

Last year when I was up there I ran into two rangers on some singletrack that were pretty cool. They were saying that they didn't think they would be around next year.

Honestly, i am not sure.. I went with 2 buddies that live up there and were my guides. I had never been before and don't know the area at all..

From what they (and a few others said) were that they occasionally close down trails due to staffing, and inability to maintain them all. Also, so they don't all get overused i guessed..

Someone posted a link to a website somewhere in this thread that lists what is open and when..

Sorry i cant be of more help, i was just a follower! :)

K

No, my X isn't plated. But maybe I should take the KTM to be safe. Gosh I don't know. ??

No, my X isn't plated. But maybe I should take the KTM to be safe. Gosh I don't know. ??

I wouldnt worry about it Christi. Looks like even the alamo loop is closed. You'll be fine with a sticker bike just make sure everyone knows to not ride on the main road going through the park. Its okay to cross it, just dont ride it. Theres really no reason to anyway since there are trails everywhere.

Nope, no issue at all.. We had a plated bike, a green sticker, and a red sticker bike with us.. All were fine.

Red stickers are ok until May 1

Since you asked, my opinion stands as Hungry Valley is Ocotillo Wells with trees and bushes. If you like riding Ocotillo Wells you'll like Hungry Valley. I am bored at OW and no amount of throttle makes it more exciting.

On our trip we spent about 5 hours there and both felt it was 3 hours too long. Now if we could've found, or wanted to stay later and find, the singletrack that was reportedly closed maybe my opinion would be different. Maybe more time there would've been good, however we had a date with Ballinger Canyon and there we found a larger riding area with exponentially better trails.

I'm glad you like it at Gorman and I'm even happier that the weekends are full of people that love riding there. As long as everyone is happy at Hungry Valley they won't venture out in search of new riding places. And THAT makes me happy.

And yes Vic, very special indeed. If you ever need a ride partner I'll be the first in line.

I have ridden H.V. a number of times over the years. 30 years ago it was way better (as most things were), it wasnt governed.......and had lots of open single track. I have ridden through there maybe 3 times in the last 3 years, will take Ballinger over HV anyday. HV is a haven for quads and squids a combination that makes me nervous/paranoid but they mainly stay in sight of their transportation vehicles. Once away from the campgrounds things are much safer. Last time there we parked the trucks in camp and the quad pit racers were out attired with t-shirts and flip flops while churning up the campground, always a real treat.....

EDIT:

If you have never been to Gorman (HV) you really should go, there are some really neat trails there and the spring flowers in Gorman are phenomenal, Lupens and yellow flowers and the California Poppies. Also the Ca poppy preserve isnt too far away.

Their are some trails that start in the town of Fraizer Park and head into the Mtns. I hope they did not close them .Single track and jeep rds.

Squid was a term that was used several times at HV.

After leaving there we went straight to Ballinger, camped then killed it the next day.

Not one person out there and SIC trails. The area is like 15 times larger as well.

Ball sack as I call the place has these sweet braking bumps that are to die for. Some are huge that I have named "stadium jumps" then others are lovingly called the stair steps. They come from out of nowhere and are so steep and sharp you are reduced to 1st gear or 1 mph. Which ever comes first. It sounds crappy but It's super funny. Railing uphill into a butter sweet turn only to run into a set of "stairs". ---- comes unglued so fast. After a days riding I had a wicked case of what I named "Condor Nutz" You have seen a Condors neck right?? All pink, wrinkled and only a few bent up hairs remaining.That's what my boys looked like from getting ratcheted back and forth across the seat hitting the stairs.

Jon and I had a blast riding that place. He killed some major hill climbs. Rode some serious spines and even found ourselves in this wash with like 15 miles of those stadium jump/braking bumps. The kind where you just say F it and flop all over the place for 30 minutes straight.

So many flowing good trails too. I just enjoy telling these stories cause I was laughing the entire time at Jon and myself.

Thumbs up and a Condor Neck high five to that place!

post-14596-0-38578000-1396532831_thumb.j

post-14596-0-91680500-1396532869_thumb.j

Vic: I know the areas you speak off and those stair steps make memories and pain.....going the other direction on them is way easier, instead of uphill. A couple of pics.

post-13615-0-51553800-1396536653.jpg

post-13615-0-22659700-1396536663.jpg

post-13615-0-20075300-1396536678.jpg