Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

DirtBike School for 11 year old

I'm looking for a DirtBike School from MSF for my 11-year-old son. He's starting to get some confidence on his KLX 110 and it's time he started learning a little more. Sometimes kids learn better when it's not coming from their parents. I plan on attending too. No doubt I can get something out of it too.

Here's a short list of nearby schools I found on the MSF website

Name of School---------------------Instructor ------------Location

VEHICLE SAFETY CONCEPTS------- Unknown ---------- TEMECULA, GORMAN, OCOTILLO WELLS, HOLLISTER

DIRT RIDER TRAINING-------------- Don Miller -------- CASTAIC, RAMONA, WESTMORELAND

INTERNATIONAL TRIALS SCHOOL-- Bill Markham----- PERRIS

TRAIN2RIDE-------------------------- Bonnie Warch---- LAKESIDE, PERRIS, PAUMA VALLEY

Has anyone been to these schools? Can you recommend any of them for an 11 year old?

Gary LaPlante of Motoventures has gotten favorable mention in other threads, but he's up in San Bernardino now. That's a little far for me.

carguy and me will be MSF Dirtbike Instructor certified by the end of this month. If you can hold-off for a bit we'lll be getting a local school up and running in East San Diego County soon!

Ride-Orange, will you take 50 year olds as well as 11 year olds? If so sign me up!

We will teach ages from 6-11 and 12 and older. There will be alot of combined knowledge and the MSF curiculli. It will be fun and most of you already know us. :D:D

After calling all the places I listed in my original post, I found that they divide their classes into 6 to 11 year olds and 12 years old and up. Kids can't be in the adult class and adults can't be in the kids class so I couldn't attend the same class with my son. I guess it must be an MSF requirement. None of the local places have a class scheduled for kids. They just wait until they get enough interest and then start a class.

I enrolled my son in the Dirt Bike School at the Honda Rider Education Center in Colton. They have scheduled classes for kids one or two times a month. A parent has to be there while a kid is taking the class. That's OK. It'll give me a chance to take some pics.

After calling all the places I listed in my original post, I found that they divide their classes into 6 to 11 year olds and 12 years old and up. Kids can't be in the adult class and adults can't be in the kids class so I couldn't attend the same class with my son. I guess it must be an MSF requirement. None of the local places have a class scheduled for kids. They just wait until they get enough interest and then start a class.

I enrolled my son in the Dirt Bike School at the Honda Rider Education Center in Colton. They have scheduled classes for kids one or two times a month. A parent has to be there while a kid is taking the class. That's OK. It'll give me a chance to take some pics.

Guess you did not want to wait. :)

Guess you did not want to wait. :)

carguy when you start your school will you guys be providing bikes for the young kids or is it byob Bike that is? i've got a 6yr old and a 12 year old that i would love to put in it so they get some training before i buy them one you know. that way when i pitch the idea to the admiral she'll be more willing.

carguy when you start your school will you guys be providing bikes for the young kids or is it byob Bike that is? i've got a 6yr old and a 12 year old that i would love to put in it so they get some training before i buy them one you know. that way when i pitch the idea to the admiral she'll be more willing.

PM Sent

As mentioned, we will have the appropiate size bikes to riders available. Ages 6 and up. You can BYOB, we will T-CLOCS it to ensure safety. :blink:

Cool, I guess that you'll have a 50cc for me. That is what appears to be the appropiate size for me. Roger :blink:

Cool, I guess that you'll have a 50cc for me. That is what appears to be the appropiate size for me. Roger :D

Seems you like nothing less than 600cc to me. ;):blink:

It's not what I like, it's what is the appropriate size for me. You've seen me ride so you should know that. :blink: Roger

The Dirt Bike School at the Honda Rider Education Center was yesterday. Once kids lose their fear, they want to go fast. They're learning their limitations. It's better they learn as much as possible they easy way in a class rather than the hard way by crashing. That's why I enrolled my son in a Dirt Bike School as soon as possible.

The instructor at the Honda Rider Education Center was great with kids. My son learned a lot and had fun doing it.

Here are the kids learning how to mount a bike.

20071117RiderClass0508.jpg

A few hours later, they were practicing what they learned.

20071117RiderClass0524.jpg

Here's a pic from the trail ride at the end of the class.

20071117RiderClass0549.jpg

Thanks to all who replied and thanks to Nick, the instructor at the Honda Rider Education Center.

2Wheels:

The Honda Rieder Education Center in Colton is impressive isn't it. My son Brandyn and I took the school there last weekend and became BirtBike Coaches. We are in the process of starting a school in Lucerne Valley, out on Soggy Dry Lake. They are in the process of opening a MX track in Thousand Palms. I talked with the developer and we might work out a deal to teach at the MX track. The DirtBike School is a great school to teach people of all ages the fundamentals of riding off-road.

Barry

The Honda Rieder Education Center in Colton is impressive isn't it.

Honda has definitely made a commitment to rider education.

Front of Colton Honda Rider Education Center

20071117RiderClass0480.jpg

Side of Colton Honda Rider Education Center

20071117RiderClass0484.jpg

That paved lot is where they do the Basic Rider Education course for street riding.