Ben

Yami too lean!

Any ideas how I can enrich my fuel? By dies during idle and initial throttle ever since I installed my fmf q4 pipe. It's frustrating. Any help would be amazing about now.

While you can certainly lean a bike out with a pipe, it doesn't seem likely that you'd lean it out so far it wouldn't even idle with just a slip-on. I'm guessing you've got a fuel delivery or carb issue.

Was it running perfectly before the Q4 add on? If so, then there's a change in jetting and possible needle position needed. I'm no carb expert but folks start going one size up on idle and main jets, fiddle from there. When I had my WR, I gave it to Steve at C&D for carb changes when I opened it up.

Tom - I think he has a WR450

It's a 2012 wr450 FI no carb. It idles hen dies 20 sec later. And the moment I turn the throttle it dies. I'd have to turn harder and quicker to pass the low rpms

I'd start reading up mapping I guess. Is there anything in the Q4 paperwork or jump on ADV in the WR450 forum.

Performance ECU and gytr programmer needed? I thought they would be able to adjust the fuel in the stock ECU.

I have very limited knowledge, well, about most things......but the stock mapping will only take things so far as far as adjustments. I don't know where the limits lie with the WR. I remember somebody bringing a laptop to a maintenance day at my house a few years ago and that's when I knew I was old. :tired:

Sigh.... Thanks guys for the help. Trophy you ain't old bro.

Pastapilot- don't you have one of them there mappy EFI thingies for your YZF?

Ben- I would also suggest trolling around thumpertalk and advrider for somebody with the tuner

Once I get my first service and if it still does it after then I'll the ECU and find anyone with a tuner. Thanks BS

Hello. I have a GYTR Powertuner and can help you load different ignition maps into the GYTR Performance ECU. You need the new ECU regardless of whether or not you have the pipe. It's part of the standard "uncorking" process of any EPA legal bike. In order to be CARB/EPA compliant the stock ECU had to be locked and is not programmable. Look up CARB vs Suzuki Motors (RMX450) for an example.

Anyway the Performance ECU will be preloaded with more aggressive tuning and should correct the idling issues without additional tuning so you may not need the Powertuner but you will need the ECU. There's no question about it and no need to wait. Order it today. It's only $99 and includes a new throttle screw. The Powertuner is an amazing tool but once you find a map you like chances are you won't use it much. Having said that, it's a blast to play around with the different settings and get an idea of what is capable with the new fangled ignition and fuel systems. Once you do it, you'll never want a carbed bike again. Come to think of it, I never wanted a carbureted bike before finally getting an EFI bike. I learned how much tuning can be done with EFI on cars and didn't need to relearn the lesson when I got back into motorcycles.

As was recommeded from a couple others, get on Thumpertalk's WR4XX forum and start reading. That's the best way to get an idea of what to do and expect with the new WR. It's a great machine I almost bought one but got a YZ450 instead.

Once you get the ECU I'd be glad to help you with installation and, if you want it, upload a map for you.

Feel free to PM or call me for any help.

Thanks bro!! I'll put in the order. We should ride sometime and play with the settings.

Sure. Let me know when. I'm not working most of March but will be out of town for 3 weeks afterwards. When I get back, it's mountain time.

ECU comes in on Monday. I'm not sure in the ride and tune day because all of my weekends are shot with clinicals for school. We'll get together soon though to try on an appropriate map.

I'll be out of town for a few weeks at the end of March. After you get the new ECU installed it should run a lot better. Better, but it may still have some lean, off idle, throttle tip in issues that only the Yamaha technicians tool can correct. I'm still happy to help you out with my powertuner. We'll just have to work out a time to meet up.

Sounds good pasta. I appreciate it again!

Well my bike is still in the shop waiting on a new FI on button. Should be done this week.

Hey Pasta you back? I got some settings I wanted to try out.