Guest Crusty

Spoiler Alert 2014 Dakar

Broken Honda Alert! On Man, I hate that ohmy.gif

But Seriously, sad when the machine takes out the rider after all that work. That is theoretically why they race, to improve the product.

You sure it was the machine? - looks like he had a little accident. The pipe is smashed, skid plate missing, rear parts are gone and road book is destroyed. At least it sounds like he is OK.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19urna_us-stage-12-top-moment-el-salvador-la-serena_auto?start=72

2_zps7f127f36.png

Photos+galery+-Dakar-8.jpg

zlb8.jpg

Things are getting interesting in the Mini camp...see minute 2:50 - lol

http://www.dailymoti...a_auto?start=25

Peterhansel (now in overall lead) had team orders "not to attack him (Roma)"

"I even u turned and asked Nani if he wanted to lead".... "We'll see maybe the team orders will be changed"

funny stuff right there!

Guest Crusty

Sad day, for #3.

9945_05114802_374.jpg

Select LanguageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSwahiliSwedishTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluPowered by google_logo_41.pngTranslate

chile.gifLatest Rally News: Stage 12 - El Salvador - La Serena - Race Report - Chile - 17/01/2014

9945_05114802_374.jpg

Helder Rodrigues, fourth in the penultimate Dakar 2014 special

It was a troublesome stage for TEAM HRC in Copiapo, where Helder Rodrigues finished fourth and Javier Pizzolito tenth, on a day which Joan Barreda’s chances of taking a podium place in Valparaiso ended.

The penultimate day of the Rally Dakar was played out first over rocky terrain before reaching a 150 km stretch of dunas outside Copiapó. Towering dunes in which one had to pay strict attention to the navigation.

Portuguese rider Hélder Rodrigues rode into Copiapó aboard his Honda CRF450 RALLY in fourth place. ‘Estrelinha’ now lies in fifth overall place just ten minutes away from a final place on the podium. Rodrigues will battle it out every inch of the way before the race winds up in Valparaíso tomorrow.

Javier Pizzolito put in a good performance in the stage, with a tenth final place some 12’49” off the eventual winner.

Joan Barreda, after marking a strong rhythm in the first part of the race, arrived at the refuelling in second place. He crashes in the kilometre 264 of the special in the area of sand dunes around Copiapo. He was forced to repair the damage and, subsequently, was unable to continue at full-speed. The Spanish rider fought on to stay in the race and finish the special. Now, he moves to the seventh place in the overall.

Once again the commendable effort of the female member of Honda Argentina Rally Team, Laia Sanz, should be pointed out, finishing the penultimate stage in twelfth place, and thus scaling various positions on the overall leader-board. The Catalan rider is now in 14th. Pablo Gonzalez finished the day in 24th position.

Helder Rodrigues - 4th - +07'21 - TEAM HRC

I rode a good stage and I felt comfortable. I saw Joan after his fall and asked him if he needed any help. He told me that it wasn’t necessary, so I carried on. It was a real shame that we was unable to carry on with the bike damaged, and needed the help of another rider to finish the special.

Classification Stage 12

1 - Cyril Despres - 03:58'18 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

2 - Marc Coma - +2'17 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

3 - Olivier Pain - +5'53 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

4 - Helder Rodrigues - +7'21 - POR - HONDA - TEAM HRC

5 - Jordi Viladoms - +9'10 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

6 - Daniel Gouet - +9'52 - CHI - HONDA - Tamarugal Honda Racing XC Rally Team

7 - Kuba Przygonski - +10'45 - POL - KTM - KTM Rally Factory

8 - David Casteu - +11'03 - FRA - KTM - Team Casteu

9 - Ivan Jakes - +12'04 - SLO - KTM - Nad Ress Adventure

10 - Javier Pizzolito - +12'49 - ARG - HONDA - TEAM HRC

General standings after Stage 12

1 - Marc Coma - 52:40'16 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

2 - Jordi Viladoms - +01:59'49 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

3 - Olivier Pain - +02:10'16 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

4 - Cyril Despres - +02:14'01 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

5 - Helder Rodrigues - +02:20'39 - POR - HONDA - TEAM HRC

6 - Kuba Przygonski - +02:37'23 - POL - KTM - KTM Rally Factory

7 - Joan Barreda - +03:04'54 - ESP - HONDA - TEAM HRC

8 - Daniel Gouet - +03:17'10 CHI - HONDA - Tamarugal Honda Racing XC Rally Team

9 - Stefan Svitko - +03:52'45 - SLO - KTM - Oraving Slovnaft Team

10 - David Casteu - +04:01'42 - FRA - KTM - Team Casteu

2f4d1549c1-L.png

Worldwide Sales KTM

Worldwide Sales Sherco

Worldwide Sales Yamaha

Worldwide Sales Honda

Guest Crusty

Skip to main content

teamhrc_websitenew2013_11.jpg[/url]

Team HRC Dakar

HomeSelect LanguageAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBengaliBosnianBulgarianCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKhmerKoreanLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSomaliSpanishSwahiliSwedishTamilTeluguThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishYorubaZuluPowered by <a class="goog-logo-link" href=" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(68, 68, 68); font-weight: bold; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font-size: 12px; ">google_logo_41.pngTranslate

chile.gifLatest Rally News: Stage 13 - La Serena - Valparaiso - Race Report - Chile - 18/01/2014

9777_dak14_stage13_barreda_21892_d.jpg

Joan Barreda closes the Dakar with another victory, the sixth for the new Honda CRF450 RALLY

The Rally Dakar 2014 has run its course. It was a fight to the finish for the TEAM HRC riders as the 36th edition of the world’s toughest race drew to a close. Hélder Rodrigues finished the highest of the Honda riders in fifth place, with Joan Barreda in seventh with five stage victories under his belt. All the Honda CRF450 RALLYs finished the gruelling rally with the same engines, signalling a huge success for the brand and highlighting the machine’s great potential.

Fifth overall place in the Rally Dakar went to Hélder Rodrigues. The Portuguese rider nearly went from zero to hero aboard the Honda CRF450 RALLY, beginning the opening days with stomach problems and still having the chance of a podium place on the last day.

Joan Barreda last night arrived back at the bivouac in La Serena exhausted after finishing the 349 km liaison thanks to the help of another rider who accompanied him back to the camp. Barreda had taken a heavy fall at kilometre 265 of the special, where the front end of his Honda CRF450 RALLY received some heavy damage. The rider was forced to stop and check the state of the different navigation components before hitting the road again. Nevertheless, in trying to make up for lost time, he fell again, this time causing an electrical problem, which required him to seek assistance from a fellow-rider.

Today, after the mechanics fixed up the damaged bike parts, Joan Barreda was off again, storming home to victory once more. The rider from Castellón, Spain has now chalked up a total of five victories, and finishes in seventh overall position.

Javier Pizzolito finished his fifth Dakar. The Argentine rider proved himself to be consistent in the latter part of the race, finishing two stages in the top ten. The ‘water carrier’ of Hélder Rodrigues finished the rally in 23rd place .

Sam Sunderland, the winner of the second stage, was forced out of the race in the fourth round after a fall which broke the exhaust, causing overheating and meant that he was unable to finish the marathon stage.

Portuguese Paulo Gonçalves finished three times in the top ten over the course of the first four days, but on a dreadfully tough fifth day some dry shrubs got caught up in his exhaust and set the bike on fire in dramatic fashion. He could only watch helplessly as the flames engulfed the machine.

TEAM HRC is enormously satisfied with the job done by riders Laia Sanz and Pablo Rodríguez from Honda Argentina Rally Team, and Jean DeAzevedo from Honda Brasil Rally Team. Laia Sanz finished in seventh, the best stage finish for a female in the Dakar, and 14th overall on the Honda CRF450 RALLY pre-production model that will be available to rally riders later in 2014. Pablo Rodríguez improved in the final stages finishing in 32nd place. Jean DeAzevedo had to retire in the fourth stage after an incident where the sump took a heavy hit from a rock.

Laia Sanz: "As the race went on I started to realize that I was further ahead than I had expected. I was very surprised to find myself up against people that before I hadn’t seen. I had a problem one day with a waypoint but for the rest I’ve been very consistent and I’m pleased about it".

Pablo Rodríguez: "I’m very happy. It has been a very tough race but we’ve managed to finish. The bike was excellent and caused no trouble at all. I was able to come back in a couple of stages and do a good job. You’ve got to learn from some mistakes and keep looking to improve things".

Joan Barreda - 1st - 1:59'44 - TEAM HRC

Today is the last day of the Dakar. For us it feels tough because I lost a lot of time with a problem after a fall at kilometre 200 But today I was back in the saddle like a pro, and I did a really good job in the special. In the end it wasn’t the result that we were working for in the Dakar. Well, now it’s time to go home and try to get to grips with what happened, how and where we went wrong and see how we can sort them out for next year.

Helder Rodrigues - 3rd - +01'23 - TEAM HRC

The Dakar has finished and it’s been the hardest one that I’ve done yet. Honda has proved that it’s got a great bike. No one has had to change their engine even once in the two weeks of racing and that’s really important for us. I had a few problems last week, but nothing significant. I lost a bit of time, but the second week went better. I didn’t achieve my goal, but am happy to finish another Dakar.

Javier Pizzolito - 20th - +11'53 - TEAM HRC

One more Dakar over. It’s not to be sniffed at! Maybe it wasn’t the general standings that we were hoping for, or the individual or collective ones either. It’s been a year of hard work where we’ve put together a really competitive bike with a lot of promise.

I started the Dakar with a lot of problems in the third stage. But I was able to overcome them a lot better than my rivals.

Classifications Stage 13

1 - Joan Barreda - 01:59'44 - ESP - HONDA - TEAM HRC

2 - Olivier Pain - +00'40 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

3 - Helder Rodrigues - +01'23 - POR - HONDA - TEAM HRC

4 - Joan Pedrero - +01'35 - ESP - SHERCO - Sherco Rally Factory

5 - Cyril Despres - +02'30 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

6 - Mickael Metge - +03'31 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

7 - Daniel Gouet - +04'08 - CHI - HONDA - Tamarugal Honda Racing XC Rally Team

8 - Kuba Przygonski - +04'17 - POL - KTM - KTM Rally Factory

9 - David Casteu - +05'16 - FRA - KTM - Team Casteu

10 - Ivan Jakes - +07'20 - SLO - KTM - Nad Ress Adventure

General standings Dakar 2014

1 - Marc Coma - 54:50'53 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

2 - Jordi Viladoms - +01:52'27 - ESP - KTM - KTM Red Bull Rally Factory

3 - Olivier Pain - +02:00'03 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

4 - Cyril Despres - +02:05'38 - FRA - YAMAHA - Yamaha Racing

5 - Helder Rodrigues - +02:11'09 - POR - HONDA - TEAM HRC

6 - Kuba Przygonski - +02:31'46 - POL - KTM - KTM Rally Factory

7 - Joan Barreda - +02:54'01 - ESP - HONDA - TEAM HRC

8 - Daniel Gouet - 03:10'34 - CHI - HONDA - Tamarugal Honda Racing XC Rally Team

9 - Stefan Svitko - +03:50'10 - SLO - KTM - Oraving Slovnaft Team

10 - Ivan Jakes - +03:58'09 - SLO - KTM - Nad Ress Adventure

Guest Crusty

I wonder how many engines the other teams had to use to finish.

All the Honda CRF450 RALLYs finished the gruelling rally with the same engines, signalling a huge success for the brand and highlighting the machine’s great potential.coolio.gifcoolio.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Guest Crusty

2f4d1549c1-L.png

Worldwide Sales KTM

Worldwide Sales Sherco

Worldwide Sales Yamaha

Worldwide Sales Honda

What most KTM. riders don't understand is,

the best thing about KTM. is their small.size,

compared to Honda.

1390085356[/url]' post='165940']

I wonder how many engines the other teams had to use to finish.

As many as it took to WIN.

Honda is known for out spending the competition in whatever it attempts....sometimes it works and sometimes it takes longer. Apparently Dakar will take longer...even Yamaha beat them.

5 out of top ten is a pretty good showing for KTM

RIP KS

At the risk of hi-jack, KTM is a brand with a passion for performance, and a desire to push the envelope.

They are not near as big as Honda, and the profit expectations are not as great. Smaller companies also have a "nimbleness" that allows them to adapt to trends faster than a behemoth company (like Honda)

Honda truly has a bike for every type of rider, whereas KTM is looking for performance-niche riders, with several models closely aligned within that niche.

I'm still surprised the Japanese companies have let KTM (and to a lesser degree Beta, Husky, Husqvarna, etc) just gobble up the performance consumer.

KTM probably has a lower margin, even with a higher retail, and that just will not sit well with Honda bean counters and stock market analysts.

Same story we've been debating here for 10 yrs. Honda- tried and true.

I am glad Honda joined the rally, and pulled out all the stops going for the victory- competition is good for racing, and good for consumers.

Worldwide Sales KTM

Worldwide Sales Sherco

Worldwide Sales Yamaha

Worldwide Sales Honda

So what are they Bags.

Guest Crusty

Great race, glad I watched it.

I think where all the riders finished would be the same, if they all switched bikes.

Maybe not if they all had to finish on the same motor.

Now that Honda proved it could be done, I think the rules should change,

so that winning this race, would be more meaningful, and prove brand reliability.

As a privateer things just go better.good.gif

I like finishing rides on the same motor.coolio.gif

Manufacturer , Race Finish , Unit Sales = 2012

KTM - 3rd - 1st - 98,740

Sherco 4th 4th Private

Yamaha 2nd 2nd 6 million

Honda 1st 3rd 9.9 million

Motorcycle Consumer News has printed this info but I am Not a current subscriber. I will keep lookin'.

EDIT: Looking at Investor Relations etc. for 2012. I can't find information on Sherco which suggests to me they are a privately held company.

This site does not do charts well. I suppose I could create a spread sheet and import as a photo. But I won't.

Guest Crusty

In 2012 KTM and Husky combined sales were 107,000

Honda 18.5 MILLION

This year KTM. Sales are up 49%