Sign in to follow this  
husky4me

Front Page San Diego Union Tribune

I read this San Diego Union-Tribune article on the first page this morning. It mentions that the state commission has been reshaped, making it more fair for off-roaders. It seems like good news for us, but it is still upsetting that the writer seems biased against 0ff-roaders in general. Presenting us as people who damage the environment. I don't like for people to generalize about my riding, because for the most part I try to protect the environment and respect off-limits (as far as I know). I typically clean up garbage on trails, and do not trash it. It's just kind of upsetting the way they portrait us! :friends: I do understand that there are riders out there that act in an irresponsible way giving us a bad name. I'm proud of SDAR as most of us are very respectful of the environment. :drinks: Any comments from other riders?

Well that was one of my motivations for building the site, to convince the public that we could create a group of people who had dual usage in mind, i.e. caring for the environment while we were out enjoying it. As a fortune would have it, the group has turned into just that, it seems we don't really attract the type who rides wheelies over rare cactus while flipping off cops wearing shorts and sandals. Most guys (and gals) are somewhat more mature than that, but we still want to make the point that the backcountry should be accessible to us as well. They normally shut down areas due to complaints about people riding offroad and destroying things, our argument has been that it's not our group doing it, and there needs to be a distinction.

We've been able to keep very good relations with BLM as a club, which can only help us change the public opinion of bikes with knobbie tires, and that means we'll have more people involved, and therefore more places to ride. I would hope we'll get more chances to represent the positive aspects of motorcycles, and gain more recognition as a responsible group, which represents most of us :friends: , even Kevin sometimes :drinks:

...but it is still upsetting that the writer seems biased against 0ff-roaders in general. Presenting us as people who damage the environment.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't had time to open the paper yet :drinks: I went back and read it a couple of times and I didn't get that out of the article Martin. I did see the paragraph you may be referring to, but Gardner includes that it is the off road critics that are quick to generalize us.

This is a good piece legislation. Although it comes at a substantial cost (doubled Green Sticker fees :friends: ), it seem to go a long way toward bringing the OHMV Commission in line and insuring that our registration fees may actually go toward off road programs (what a concept!!!).

I'm sending the Governor a quick "thank you" note :king:

...but it is still upsetting that the writer seems biased against 0ff-roaders in general. Presenting us as people who damage the environment.

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't had time to open the paper yet :drinks: I went back and read it a couple of times and I didn't get that out of the article Martin. I did see the paragraph you may be referring to, but Gardner includes that it is the off road critics that are quick to generalize us.

This is a good piece legislation. Although it comes at a substantial cost (doubled Green Sticker fees :friends: ), it seem to go a long way toward bringing the OHMV Commission in line and insuring that our registration fees may actually go toward off road programs (what a concept!!!).

I'm sending the Governor a quick "thank you" note :king:

You are right Rob. I jumped into conclusion when I first read the article. But still believe the writer is not really giving our perpective of the sport in a balanced way. I'm glad Cameron is writing to the paper in response. Thanks Cameron. ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Well that was one of my motivations for building the site, to convince the public that we could create a group of people who had dual usage in mind, i.e. caring for the environment while we were out enjoying it. As a fortune would have it, the group has turned into just that, it seems we don't really attract the type who rides wheelies over rare cactus while flipping off cops (wearing shorts and sandals.)

What are you suposed to wear when you ride 1 block to the beach to surf. I wave at the cops, they ride bikes and surf too. :friends:

The changes in the commission were influenced by many individuals and groups who work hard to protect our off-road rights and our access to public lands.

Thanks to the people of CORVA, SDORC, and many other local California multiple use and off-road groups and all individuals involved who did something to help this change go through !!

Unfortunately, there aren't enough people willing to do a little bit, or more.......to help the fight. So, if you're not yet a member of CORVA and/or SDORC, get to their websites and sign up !! Just a bit of motivation to any non-participants out there.