KE6UPI

New Member / Rider in Temecula

Hello Everyone, I wanted to say hello and hope to get to ride with you guys and gals. My wife (CFO) let me buy a new 2013 KLR650 ( Sorry it's yellow ). I wanted the F800GSA but the CFO said that I had to learn on a less expensive bike first. She is right you know. LOL I'll keep an eye out for trips / rides that offer a newer riders to have fun. Also I would like to meet so I can see all the accessories you added to your bikes so I can get an idea of what to buy for my bike..

Thanks, David

Hello Everyone, I wanted to say hello and hope to get to ride with you guys and gals. My wife (CFO) let me buy a new 2013 KLR650 ( Sorry it's yellow ). I wanted the F800GSA but the CFO said that I had to learn on a less expensive bike first. She is right you know. LOL I'll keep an eye out for trips / rides that offer a newer riders to have fun. Also I would like to meet so I can see all the accessories you added to your bikes so I can get an idea of what to buy for my bike..

Thanks, David

You just missed out on a great Noob Ride yesterday. And we had another the week prior. I'm sure other's will be planned for the near future they seem to be a lot of fun though I bet they are a lot of work for the guy organizing them. There has been large KLR turnouts at the past two Noob Rides I have been on.

What part of town do you live in?

I live off of Murrieta Hot Springs Rd and Pourroy. I saw that the ones that went on the noob ride loved it. I hope there will be more to come.

A KLR is a great first bike...relatively low, torquey, and fast enough for the interstate

A few things- do-hickey...do a search; it's no joke or innernet rumor. it's real...I lived it!

Search EagleMike for the cure!

KLR gen 1 is one of my bikes, and it seems to get it all done.

Yeah- its a pig, but comfy-

CFO sounds smart- wreck the cheap bike first

New member and licensed ham radio operator, too.

Uh-oh. We flout the law sometimes...

Got to have fun at the camp site calling CQ on 20 meters...

David

Well…we do use some simplex comms with "simplified" procedures…can we count on your discretion?

oops.

Welcome to the club!

Actually, I want to know if we should avoid putting the new member in an awkward position.

Or, even better, set him up to give a tutorial on the use of our 2m handsets….party.gif

I can help with your radios. I'm looking at the Sena SR10 and the SMH5 for my comms. Spoke to Sena and it uses priority routing or audio ducking.

I can help with your radios. I'm looking at the Sena SR10 and the SMH5 for my comms. Spoke to Sena and it uses priority routing or audio ducking.

Of course it does! I was going to say the same exact thing :unsure:

um what :huh:/>,Im in wildomar and have some tracks from here to anza,idyllwild,corona,gavilin.it all depends on who and what is going on.hit me up I wont duck the audio

Enough members are earning their licenses that we COULD start using repeaters for larger-scale rides. I'd really like to see an hailing frequency established for the Desert Dash, but really for any ride where riders might become seperated.

The problem is these Yaesus and the Arfy-style Chinese brands are not intuitive in their programming, and I would like to learn more about making them work, which repeaters to use, etc.

Welcome!

I live just below Palomar mountain on the North side and work here in Temecula. I'll be doing a few rides here and there. Anza, Idylwild, etc... I am usually last minute but I will post up next time.

Where's the wife's bike?

Yes Paul, The Chinese radios need programing software and are not easy to program in the field. East County Repeater Association ecra.org has some repeaters that cover the desert area and can get back in to San Diego. Also getting the local amateur radio clubs to help out with the run. There is a list of local club at www.sandarc.net.

David

I'm pretty handy with the FDC programing software. Probably won't work on the Baeofongs and what not.

When I was in Texas I simply put my freqs and what they were into a spreadsheet that had the channel number next to them then shrunk the spreadsheet down to a small square and taped it on the back of my battery.

Check out Chirp radio programing software. It can program most ham radio HT's. And it's free.. I use a netbook for programing on field day.

http://chirp.danplan...chirp/wiki/Home

Damn. No worky for VX-170.

But there are others.

I know the baofeng will monitor two frequencies- do you know how that works? Say I'm happily chatting with my immediate group on simplex and I hear a call on the repeater frequency- do I have to stop and switch freqs on the radio to answer that call?

I have two of the Baofeng UV-5R radio's and they have dual display and dual band (Vhf/Uhf). So it can receive to different freqs at one time. Vhf/Vhf Uhf/Uhf or Vhf/Uhf. There is a A/B button to change what channel to transmit on. They are cheap and I like to call them a throw a way radio.. You can find them on Ebay for around 40 bucks.

David

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

I have two of the Baofeng UV-5R radio's and they have dual display and dual band (Vhf/Uhf). So it can receive to different freqs at one time. Vhf/Vhf Uhf/Uhf or Vhf/Uhf. There is a A/B button to change what channel to transmit on. They are cheap and I like to call them a throw a way radio.. You can find them on Ebay for around 40 bucks.

David

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Yeah- that's what I figured.

Unfortunately, the a/b button push…radio is on my back in my Camelbak or in my rear jacket pocket. About the worst place to press a button.

Hey David!

Welcome to the place :) I am up in La Cresta and get in day rides now and then, will yell at ya when I head out. Let me know if you plan on a day tripper soon.

Baja is the shizzle though! You will love the KLR.....comfy and bullet proof!