Sign in to follow this  

IN, we did the JCR race of this same thing last year. It was super fun, The Ranch Carlsbad track onto some single track onto a dirt road then into the really good single track that looped back into to the finish. A brilliant course both fast slow and super fun. As usual for Erek's events very well managed and executed. Highly recommended and close by.

My Cafe Husky Report from last years event. (I forgot just how much fun I had!!)0900 Sat morn start.

50A race first race of the weekend. 1.5 hour @ 7 mile loops. Very fun course with a little of bit everything and of course some really good single track, some of it fresh cut. We used alot of the "Carlsbad Track" then some single track onto the "Freeway" (track access road) for the dez guys, then back into the single track basically until the end of the loop. I had a bad start was second to last on the MX first section and was behind the TM450EN of Pete Vetrano. I got roosted super badly from the leaders on the uphill start and was glad I decided to use my X brand roll off kit goggles just for the watered down MX portion start they were a good choice. The TM and I had a great fun time for a while then I snuck by Pete on the (simple)E-cross section with a trick line I scoped before the race (Its alway good to "walk" at least some sections of a race course). It was fun having a little Italian brand battle going on. I left the TM then moved deeper into the pack and worked through guys and finally caught Ajax on his bitchen Ohlins equipped WR300 in the single track, I hooted and laughed behind him for a while and rode off line a few times but could not get a pass, he eventually relented and left me a gap. I continued on my way and caught my friend and moto-mate Massimo on his Kato 250XC-F he was having some issues, he bent his shifter on a rock, he pulled to the side and tipped over. (He ended up trail fix bending the lever back into better position, it was up against his footpeg). So I got him as well (unknowingly I was up to 3rd ). I got restuck behind another guy that was faster than me in the open stuff but way slower in the S/T and lost time as Mass was fixing his lever.

I then made a tactical error, I got paranoid about going out on the final loop and stopped for a fuel splash and got passed back by the charging Italian on his Kato. He was on fire and I knew in the moto stuff he would keep me at bay, I charged hard but could never get him back, he was on a mission and took the final award for a well deserved 3rd place podium spot!!

The GET-XTR-EME Team (Kudla Family) once again put together a great course and organized the race perfectly. I will continue to support their West Chec series in 2013 as much as possible (they have the race organization dialed!)

PS a MY12 (blackhead)TXC310 won our race, me P4 on the TE310, I'll wait for posted results because I forgot all the details (where Ajax and others finished). Oh yeah the guy on the TXC310 won at the last barrel before the finish check according to witnesses he block passed his way for a hard pass but no foul to the checkers for P1 after 1.5 hours of racing!!! There were 3 Huskys a TM and the rest....mix of KTM and Japanese brands. (I think we had 9 in 50A class)

2012 old guy class results

http://www.moto-tally.com/gxe/results.aspx

Kudlas do put on a good race. Just hope there is no snow.

Snow naaaaa, just hope there is no dust, that was factor last year.

It only snows in March up there...........haha

Snow, hell yah, unfortunately I'm off back to Wales that sunday for a few days to visit friends and family so going to miss it again, real shame :(

I plan on doing the 0900 short course race on Sat and if up for it with these amazing conditions may jump into the A Pro A long course loop at 1300. We are IN as far as I know. If you want to try a local HS race this is good one to do, nice mixed course fun and safe.

bike is in some work from last weeks tecate hs, may not make the am race if not i will just do the 1300 long course race and watch the pros take off and leave me with a well burned in trail and no bottle necks!!(just like tecate for the most part)

after all my motivation a stomach bug thats been plaguing me came on full blast friday afternoon, been layed up since. todays event actually got cancelled due to high winds, word from Erek yesterday was a success.

This year, I wanted to try the Saturday Scramble. I am so glad I did! It was almost all single track! Twisty and tight with soft spots, big ruts, up and down hills, off camber, tree branches sticking out in all directions. LOL. This was listed as EASY, but I beg to differ. There was no way this was for any beginners or even some novice. It took a while to get my single track groove on. It was dead engine start. It seemed I was the only one without e-start and it showed. It took about four kicks off the line and I was last! The first single track section was the tightest in my opionion. I stalled right off the bat. Luckily it only took a couple of kicks to get going again. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn about a third of the way into the first loop. I ended up on the advanced loop and did not realize it until I ended up at the same spot ten minutes later. I lost about 10 minutes here. The second loop was way better. I got more comfortable. The thired loop even better. I finally got lapped by the leaders at the end of the third loop. Kind of bummed because I really wanted to do at least one more!!! All in all, I had a blast though next time I will run HANDGUARDS!

I was planning on the Sunday GP but decided it was too windy. Apparently the promoters thought so too. They cancelled the GP due to 70 mph winds! Too bad because the GP is an awesome course!

Thanks for report. Im bummed not to have made it. Wanted to do AM and 1300 HS, been bouncing off a bad gut issues since after the last Nat H&H (before Thanksgiving), was on a good feel for Tecate HS then its been up and down. And down for the Anza event.`Glad it was fun!