Sign in to follow this  
GY6.1911

Idle Issue...

Bike just died at a light.... Kicked it over, thinkn I misjudged my mileage and it ran fine till I hit the next fuel station. Fuel wasnt the issue, had 1/2 a tank. It runs fine as long as I keep her alive when stopped or in neutral. Anyone got any ideas why it wont idle steady?

Pilot circuit has the pilot jet, fuel or air screw and all the passageways. Best to remove the fuel screw and the pilot jet, blow compressed air through the jet separately from the all the passageways, then blow through the passageways. Then reassemble, and set the fuel screw.

Sounds like pilot jet to me too. You probably don't need to buy a new one. Just pull the existing one out of the carb and clear the blockage. The passage is very small. I use a stiff piece of wire strand from a wire brush to poke through the jet. When your bike wont idle, this is often the problem.

Guest Crusty

Most books tell you not to use a wire from a brush because it can damage the jet.

Something softer, I use bristle brush, carb cleaner and compressed air.

If compressed air won't clear a jet, I like to use #77/78 number drills. Inexpensive. Or a very small sized sewing needle, since they are tapered to a point, it's difficult to damage a jet with them. ;)

Guitar string works good for jets also.

Most books tell you not to use a wire from a brush because it can damage the jet.

Something softer, I use bristle brush, carb cleaner and compressed air.

Malarkey!

Straighten it out and push it through...I've done it many times with no damage whatsoever.

I was just at MotoWorld and they had the carb / wire selection jet cleaning kit hanging by the parts counter. $11

Ol' Reliable saved me the trouble n somehow fixed itself.... Was going to do everything suggested, but to my surprise, shes runnin good without me doing anything. Been ridin hard this whole last week & no idle problems... I love her, I do... Haha