Sign in to follow this  
Chad

Need a Great Diesel Mechanic - 6.0L PowerStroke

Any recommendations on a great (I guess good will pass) Ford PowerStroke mechanic? I'm done paying dealer service what appears to me to be wholly unreasonable labor prices and overall total costs on repairs.

Case in point: In September my alternator went out. Local Ford service wanted approx. $765 to install a re-manufactured 110 amp alternator. Something like $385 in labor (3 hrs quoted) and $380 part.

I did some digging and research, watched a youtube vid or two, and installed a new manufactured HD 200A alternator (cost $340) in about 1 hour from tools out to tools in. I am REALLY having a tough time trusting dealer service pricing any longer.

I now have an immediate need for a great/good diesel mechanic/garage. Took the truck in this am b/c it started leaking a good amount of oil driving back from McCain on Sunday. Ford service says its a cracked rear engine cover and wants $5,900 to fix it. Approx. $2,100 in parts (new cover, various seals, etc.) and $3,625 in labor (balance is tax). I'm told the engine must come out, so I know it's gonna be expensive, but I gotta believe I can do better than Ford's quote given my past experience.

I live in PB and realize it is not the hotbed of diesel mechanics, so am willing to drive to the right guy or gal. Given the complexities of modern engine electronics and such, I would prefer a well-equipped garage that specializes in diesels, specifically PowerStrokes.

Any and all recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated... And thanks in advance SDAR community!

Any and all recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated... And thanks in advance SDAR community!

Call Jose (Owner) at Poway Automotive and tell'em I sent you. He has a diesel truck himself and services my RAM 2500 Cummins turbo.

http://powayautorepair.com/

Another recommendation....

Action Turbo Diesel in Santee

Talk to David

619-562-2550

My dual sport friend Colin Smith who owns Top Value Tire recommended them....his old biz partner buys and sells diesel trucks and that's who he uses.

Glenn's Automotive in Ramona 760-789-2900 is an old school shop and he is a diesel guru. I have known him for almost 20 years and trust him like family. He will know any shortcuts to not pulling the motor if possible.

Thanks very much, Gents! I will make some calls tomorrow...

I'm not sure if his schedule is clear enough for it but Diesel Man is a mobile diesel wrench that I recommend to pretty much all of my diesel drivin' customers (RV's primarily) when they're in need of service. I've never heard a bad comment from any of my customers yet. If you wanna give him a try I can give you his #.