Crawdaddy

Ramona Dual Sport Loop - Download the Tracks

QUOTE(bikeslut @ Oct 2 2007, 07:11 PM)

what's in Ramona? anything good?

Decided I should make a stand alone post on this.......

I created a map of my normal Ramona loop in GMAPS Pedometer....it's about ~115 miles but I think the actual ride is more like ~120-130 (I usually gas up in Santa Isabel which is ~25 miles into the loop)....the map gets a bit sloppy towards the end (painted it with broad brush strokes) but you get the idea......what a pain in the A$% to create it.....glad I have a GPS!

GMAP Ramona Loop - Packards/Pamo/Sutherland/Rodriguez/Mason/S2/78/Grapevine/Jasper/S22/S2/79/76/Mesa Grande/Black Canyon/Pamo/Packards

(This is the same route I took a few of you on in May or June)

Chris,

Thanks for the map. I can view it on Google but unsuccessful in saving as .gdb. Looking at the Cleveland Forest Map the route south of Banner is the Calif Riding and Hiking Trail, correct? I have a TKC on the front, but waiting to put one on the back before trying the loop south of Banner and up Grapevine. Can't wait! The temperature is cooling so this will be quite nice soon.

Dave

Fred (Snaildarter) and I took a nice ~115 mile ride this morning. I now have tracks laid down for C-Daddy's Ramona Loop ride :D . This is a fairly mellow loop which contains a few fun dirt sections (FS-12507, Rodriguez TT/California Riding and Hiking Trail, Mason TT, Grapevine Canyon, Jasper Trail).

I've attached the tracks as a ".txt" file.......right click and save the ".txt" file as a ".gdb" file to load the tracks/waypoints into your Garmin (surely you have bought a Garmin by now? :D ). The file contains 10 tracks and 4 Waypoints. The first track is a truncated version of the ride in it's entirety if you don't care about the fidelity of the breadcrumbs and just want a general track to follow. Tracks 01-09 are more detailed. I had to break the active track down into 9 individual tracks to keep the number of points below 500 in each track (some older units can't accept tracks with more than 500 pts :D ). The four waypoints are Packards/Gas in Ramona, Gas in Santa Isabel, and The Hideout. :(

This is a fun loop in either direction - Regardless, plan on a trip length of ~3-4 hours depending on speed/number of stops. Be sure to top off your gas tank in either Ramona or Santa Isabel - depends on which direction you're following the loop - regardless of direction, you'll need a range of ~90 miles between fuel stops.

Have fun :mega_shok: :D

Ramona_Loop_Tracks.txt

Thanks for taking the time to do this Chris!

Good Stuff! This is a fun trail and one of the first Dual Sport rides i have done!

I like the fact that there are so many options in the area that you can make it as long or as short as ya want!

No thanks necessary, it was fun! (for me......yes, it's true, I've turned into a GPS geek as well as a Dual Sport rider)

Most all organized D37 Dual Sport rides these days offer Garmin Tracks at the ride registration - for those without, buy one and you'll likely become a GPS geek too! Good tool to have in addition to the roll chart on organized rides and also a handy tool for back tracking and/or saving tracks when out exploring.

For those new to the game looking to to pick up a Garmin GPS who don't necessarily need all the bells and whistles that come with the 60CSx, I'd recommend picking up its predecessor - the Garmin 60C (they're discontinued now so you can pick them up for ~$160 on E-Bay) The 60C has a COLOR screen and 56meg of built in memory. It doesn't have the removable microSD card, high-sensitivity GPS receiver, barometric altimeter and electronic compass that come with the 60CSx, but it's a great COLOR unit that you can hardwire to your battery and has a usb interface for your computer. If you do want the full ticket 60CSx you can find them for ~$300 with a bit of searching.

60C on E-Bay

You'll also need a Ram Mount

I think I just hijacked my own thread :mega_shok:

Good Stuff! This is a fun trail and one of the first Dual Sport rides i have done!

I like the fact that there are so many options in the area that you can make it as long or as short as ya want!

One fun option/variant is to swing a right on Culp Valley when you reach the intersection of Jasper and Culp Valley (a few miles short of S22).......Culp Valley is a fun trail that drops down to S22 to the east......then you can take S22 down to Borrego, stop for gas/lunch/rest, then U turn and ride Jasper/Grapevine/etc. in reverse back to Santa Isabel/Ramona.........or just U turn without dropping down to Borrego...... ~90 mile range will get you back to Santa Isabel......that's probably the most attractive variant to me - doubles the fun on Jasper/Grapevine/Mason/Ca. Riding and Hiking Trail

Chris,

What tires are you using on your KTM? I still plan to get a GPS and do the route you planned out but I'm wondering if I should put something other than the Dunlop 606s on the DRZ since there's a fair amount of pavement.

I'd like to get this ride in before the weather gets too cold. I am pathetic in the cold.

Zina

Chris,

What tires are you using on your KTM? I still plan to get a GPS and do the route you planned out but I'm wondering if I should put something other than the Dunlop 606s on the DRZ since there's a fair amount of pavement.

I'd like to get this ride in before the weather gets too cold. I am pathetic in the cold.

Zina

The 606s should be ideal for this ride since they're a relatively aggressive DOT tire.......I can never make up my mind on tires......I'm currently running Kenda Carlsbads front and rear but I've run 606s, Pirellis, 739s, etc......at our skill level I doubt it really matters all that much as long as the tread is moderately aggressive for off road use......

There is quite a bit of road on this loop.......a necessary evil to cover that much turf......I just ride ~55mph on the road and that doesn't tear'em up too bad........

Is this area on fire right now?

Yes, the fire passed through of much the Black Mtn/Sutherland area......sucks