OU812

FNG in Oceanside

Hello everyone. I'm new to dirt riding and hoping to join in on some mellow rides. I've spent a lot of time in the dirt but on four wheels in a Jeep. I ride a CRF250L. For the most part it is a commuter but I'd like to put some more dirt miles on it. In my Jeep days I spent a lot of time in San Bernadino volunteering with the adopt a trail program. I see SDAR has an adopt a trail and sooner or later I'd like to get involved with that. On my list if places to ride in the near future I would like to explore arround Anza Borrego, play arround on Clefhorn up to big bear, and I might try and do the Mojave Rd. My "tow rig" is a Westfalia Vanagon. Next weekend I am dragging the bike up to Johnson Valley to camp with some of my jeep buddy's. Ill be watching the informal rides and meeting some of you soon. Thanks for letting me join.

Hello everyone. I'm new to dirt riding and hoping to join in on some mellow rides. I've spent a lot of time in the dirt but on four wheels in a Jeep. I ride a CRF250L. For the most part it is a commuter but I'd like to put some more dirt miles on it. In my Jeep days I spent a lot of time in San Bernadino volunteering with the adopt a trail program. I see SDAR has an adopt a trail and sooner or later I'd like to get involved with that. On my list if places to ride in the near future I would like to explore arround Anza Borrego, play arround on Clefhorn up to big bear, and I might try and do the Mojave Rd. My "tow rig" is a Westfalia Vanagon. Next weekend I am dragging the bike up to Johnson Valley to camp with some of my jeep buddy's. Ill be watching the informal rides and meeting some of you soon. Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy Johnson Valley and trust your riding partners

Welcome and I see you're a Van Halen fan. Me too. I'm in San Marcos, so I'll let you know if I heard of any N County rides.

Charlie

Welcome! Post some pics of the Van!

Don't have to ask me twice. I love my ol van.

I'll be camping here again Friday. Technically its Lucerne valley.F5EEFAD5-002C-4891-9F24-4A5819710E4C-1168-000000DB9474459C_zps18683c14.jpg

This is Big Bason Red Woods

null_zpsb23cf5e8-1.jpg

And this is not my van but this what I am doing with my van. Ive got the tail lights and signals on the bike wired up like trailer lights. Also I pull the chain off the rear sprocket to tow. I'll post a picture of my set up next week.

photo_zps26ba501e.jpg

Sorry, not sure how to make these pictures smaller. :unsure:/>

Sooo do you change tires when you get there? Would really suck to wear out your rear tire before you even get to where you are riding.

I was thinking the same thing...the main reason I truck my bike is to save the tires; especially if you run knobs

OH-considered a JoeHauler?

Tire wear is not much when the wheel isn't pushing or pulling. My van will not support the full weight of the motorcycle on the rear bumper. The engine and transmission are both in the rear so there is already a lot of weight back there already. I could pull a trailer but my 80hp would rather not. Besides I don't have much room to store a trailer. Even considering the additional tire wear(which is minimal) this is the best option for me. Aside from buying a pickup I don't want. Its a hassle taking the chain off and getting it on there. But for me its less of a hassle than storing a trailer and pulling it with my van. I appreciate the input guys. I have put a lot of thought into this.

Cool- I understand the challenges of a microbus up a steep grade...think Dumb and Dumber two-up on a mini-bike

Thought about a joehauer in the front?

Ok, ok...i'll stop now

Nice camping rig!

welcome to SDAR.....love the van......I had an old vw camper, it was alot of fun...that was before I rode though.....great time of year, there should be lots of riding going on, mts, and desert...see you out there sometime..

Welcome to the jungle! 2 wheels, to me, is a hellofalot more fun than 4. I still go 4Xing, but I almost always bring my steed as well. Even muddin doesnt compare to my 2 wheel adventures, close, but not quite...