No Shift

DR 650 suspension

My stock DR 650 suspension needs to be improved. Where do I go? What do I ask for?

And how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks

:lol: I just want to fix my bike. :lol:

If you replace it with a Husky you will need to have 5 bikes like she does. Thats no solution!

First where do you live? If you are mechanicallly inclinced you can do it yourself with new springs all around. What is it that you do not like, or are having trouble with?

Hi Bill! When are we going to ride again??? :D

There's an old saying around our shop "If I can't fix it. I'll fix it so NOBODY can fix it!"

Like bum says, springs are a key component and replacing them is not rocket science, but it does take some mechanical abilit and maybe the use of some special tools.

There are a couple of good suspension tuners around, like Precision Concepts in Temecula and El Cajon. You might try going on Thumpertalk and searching for what the DRZ guys are using or recommending. :lol:

Good luck ;)

If you replace it with a Husky you will need to have 5 bikes like she does. Thats no solution!

Somebody can't count :lol: But getting back to the thread, maybe Papaalex could help you. He did lots of stuff to his DR650 and probably could tell you some tips. Maybe you should PM him.

CALL RUDY. PRO PREPT in escondido 489-5774 he is a suspension guy and call hooty at mad racing also.

Hi Bill! When are we going to ride again??? :D

There's an old saying around our shop "If I can't fix it. I'll fix it so NOBODY can fix it!"

Like bum says, springs are a key component and replacing them is not rocket science, but it does take some mechanical abilit and maybe the use of some special tools.

There are a couple of good suspension tuners around, like Precision Concepts in Temecula and El Cajon. You might try going on Thumpertalk and searching for what the DRZ guys are using or recommending. :lol:

Good luck ;)

The DRZ is quite different. Springs seem to cure a lot of the DRZ issues for... um... larger people like myself, but the DR requires a bit more.

Springs to suit no shifts weight, then valving , oil weight/height etc. to account for his preferred riding type...

but I am by no means a suspension guru... for my DRZ, I will be replacing the springs, putting in some heavier oil and, if that doesn't work, I'll call in the pros.

No Shift,

I did my suspention at precision concepts in El Cojon.

Front new stiffer springs, oil, seals ~$200 (can't do valving on DR650).

Rear new oil, nitrogen (I kept stock spring) ~$100.

I made a mistake by droping the bike at the shop, they charge additional dismouting/mounting $65 per each end. So, if you can take fork and shock off the bike and put it back your self, save $130.

My goal (most rider's as well) was to do all around service and to stiffen front (must do on DR). I'm 145 Lbs and stock shock spring works for me. I guess that you'll have to put a stiffer spring, they can help you at the shop to choose rating (try to talk to a main guy).

To me, it's just not worth of time and effort to mess with suspention, I think you end up paying ~$70 per end for only labor. Seals are not warranted in suspention shops, and one failed after two rides, brought it back and paid another $100, nothing you can do about it.

I like the results, bikes handles much better. I'll be doing 1 year service for my new KTM and putting softer front springs at the same shop.

Hope it helps

Alex.

Thanks guys and girl for the help, I now know what to do and how much it might cost me and or labor involved. Ride Ornge, I just got back form a 2 day ride to Mike's Sky Ranch so this weekend is out. But I was thinking about the next weekend after. Perhaps an intro to newbee ride? Lots of new faces that I havent riden with yet. What do you think Ornge? PM me. Perhaps a toure de AB state park.

Since no shift already hi jacked his own thread, i'll chime in, too...

I have ridden very little of AB... I would be VERY up for a Sunday trip... sand, dirt, step ups, drop offs, barbed wire, cholla, low hanging mud cave roofs... I'm in for all of it.

Since no shift already hi jacked his own thread, i'll chime in, too...

I have ridden very little of AB... I would be VERY up for a Sunday trip... sand, dirt, step ups, drop offs, barbed wire, cholla, low hanging mud cave roofs... I'm in for all of it.

Sounds like the one we just did last weekend :lol:

SUNDAY... I can't go Saturdays...

DD- You and I may never meet, since we have opposite days off...

To me, it's just not worth of time and effort to mess with suspention, I think you end up paying ~$70 per end for only labor. Seals are not warranted in suspention shops, and one failed after two rides, brought it back and paid another $100, nothing you can do about it.

I had the same problems with premature failures on my Ohlins shock. After I found another shop to service my shock other than Precision Concepts, my reliability issues went away.

I had the same problems with premature failures on my Ohlins shock. After I found another shop to service my shock other than Precision Concepts, my reliability issues went away.

what shop did you go to?

what shop did you go to?

By the way, I went to Precision Concepts in El Cajon after I switched out my fork and shock springs so that they could revalve everything to match. They were quick and thorough and turned around a good product fast but the girl at the front desk I found to be very condescending. She treated me like I was some kind of dumb bell and didn't listen to anything I had to say. She was RUDE, I thought. I would consider going back to Precision Concepts for other valving work, but I would try the one in Temecula next. I work on my own suspension, change out springs, oil, seals, seal heads, set the sag etc., and have personally revalved two of my Japanese machines. I am not going to pretend that I know as much as those guys, but I know a little bit, it works for me and I don't cotton to being treated like a dope.

what shop did you go to?

By the way, I went to Precision Concepts in El Cajon after I switched out my fork and shock springs so that they could revalve everything to match. They were quick and thorough and turned around a good product fast but the girl at the front desk I found to be very condescending. She treated me like I was some kind of dumb bell and didn't listen to anything I had to say. She was RUDE, I thought. I would consider going back to Precision Concepts for other valving work, but I would try the one in Temecula next. I work on my own suspension, change out springs, oil, seals, seal heads, set the sag etc., and have personally revalved two of my Japanese machines. I am not going to pretend that I know as much as those guys, but I know a little bit, it works for me and I don't cotton to being treated like a dope.

DD

You are no dope!

Thanks for all the help!

SUNDAY... I can't go Saturdays...

Bill gave me the hijack green light-

With Soccer in full swing, Sundays work better for me too. The next two are out, but we'l be at Superstition the entire weekend of the 19th- 21st. I'll update a port in local rides...

By the way, I went to Precision Concepts in El Cajon... but the girl at the front desk I found to be very condescending. She treated me like I was ome kind of dumb bell and didn't listen to anything I had to say. She was RUDE, I thought. I would consider going back to Precision Concepts for other valving work, but I would try the one in Temecula next. I don't cotton to being treated like a dope.

You're certainly no dope Mimi :lol: You hit the nail on the head - Marsha is a Super Biiiiaaatch!!! I'm sure Bob Bell is aware that she has cost them some business, but I think she's married to Mark (who runs the El Cajon store) so I guess they just tolerate her :lol:

what shop did you go to?

I sent my Ohlins to Pettersson Pro Suspension in Anaheim. They are a factory Authorized Ohlins Service Center. Quick turn around and he knows his stuff. I agree, the girl at Precision Concepts is very rude and the work is so-so. I wont drag them through the mud, but they wont see any more of my $$.

By the way, you should check out Racetechs website. They are good with Japanese suspension and probably carry springs for your shocks and forks and cartridge emulators for your forks. They also have a spring rate calculator on their website although you have a little extra weight problem thrown in there in the form of your honkin' gas tank. I am good at calculating spring rates too, so if you need help, I can get out my little calculator and punch up some numbers based on things such as machine base weight, lever ratio, your weight and what your honkin gas tank adds in to the factor. Fork oil levels can affect your ride too. Then you just have to set all to a specific preload to achieve your unladen sag (you not on bike) and laden sag(you on bike). Proper sag is terribly important. It isn't all rocket science but it is all math. I had to research and learn all this stuff because of all the bad advice so-called experts were giving me.

By the way, you should check out Racetechs website. They are good with Japanese suspension and probably carry springs for your shocks and forks and cartridge emulators for your forks. They also have a spring rate calculator on their website although you have a little extra weight problem thrown in there in the form of your honkin' gas tank. I am good at calculating spring rates too, so if you need help, I can get out my little calculator and punch up some numbers based on things such as machine base weight, lever ratio, your weight and what your honkin gas tank adds in to the factor. Fork oil levels can affect your ride too. Then you just have to set all to a specific preload to achieve your unladen sag (you not on bike) and laden sag(you on bike). Proper sag is terribly important. It isn't all rocket science but it is all math. I had to research and learn all this stuff because of all the bad advice so-called experts were giving me.

my sag increases as i get older...

I'm dragging this thread back into the daylight because I need to get my shock and forks modified for my 120 lbs. While I will eventually have my DRZ450 worked on, right now my focus is on the 08 Husky TE450.

I thought about taking my stuff to Precision Concepts in El Cajon, but in my research I have repeatedly read that the women there is a horror to talk to (as verified here by SDAR-ers). I know next to nothing about suspension and I am not up to being treated badly just because I'm ignorant (if Mimi got lip, I'll be abused royally). I've also read that they may not have much experience with Marzocchis. Don't see the point in paying a premium if they're only so-so with working on those.

If anybody has advice on what I should do, I would appreciate it. I've pulled the shock and will remove the forks tonight and I'll be ready to send them anywhere. I just need a waaaaay softer ride so the bike stops being my mortal enemy.