Honda90

Tool Kit Recommendations

you can get by without a clutch, front or rear break ect. when needed. CiD

right... tom gave the example of a broken throttle cable, and he set the idle up high and rode it out

Vic busted his shift lever, and rode mostly in 2nd gear all day, then, at the top of the hill to come back, reached down and put it in 4th, and rode back on the fire-road

I busted a clutch perch on 3A and rode the rest of the trail without a clutch

busted a clutch cable on kernan, and rode most of the day without... you can still shift; with an electric starter (with safeties disconnected) you can start the bike in gear (lurch)

ride with flats... I've heard people say they stuffed a flat tire with leaf litter (but imagine that not lasting long)

I don't pack a spark plug wrench; because I don't pack a plug

my multi-tool, along with flat repair takes care of almost everything I need on the trail...sockets, screwdrivers, hex keys, knife, tire irons... my pack without water weighs maybe 5 pounds

again; pack the kitchen sink, or pack nothing... lots of people do each, most people fall in between

My pack grew heavier over the years riding with Meeting various people and taking different recommendations on what I should have in my tool pack. When I started reading about and prepping for the Tour of Idaho ride I came across some "enlightening" advice.

Q: What should I pack? What do you consider indispensable items?

A: Not much. Light is way better than heavy. We use Ogio Flight Vests (with 2.0 liter bladders) and very lightweight backpacks. We carry energy bars, a wilderness emergency and first aid kit, a small tool kit, survival equipment, a personal shelter, a beacon, camera gear, GPS and that's about it. Some mail changes of clothes ahead to the motels they plan on staying in (well, one of the posse does). An emergency beacon is a great idea. A WI-FI capable cell phone with a good browser is also a good idea as it will allow you to both call from motels in areas that have no cell service and download Google Maps to help you with the route ahead. Pack the minimum that you think you can get away with then chuck half of what remains. Light is right. If you carry a lot of heavy stuff you will end up needing every bit of it. Check out our T1 tested review.

I have owned and sold an Ogio Flight Vest. It was great for loading up everything I needed and kept it handy, but was like wearing a wool sweater over my riding gear.

Now I just use a smaller size back/hydration pack and fill it with what I NEED.

I agree 100% I have a Flight Vest I used on my Cabo ride and have not used it again. I really like the Giant Loop Mojave bags for tools and tubes and then a small backpack for water and radio.

CiD

My pack grew heavier over the years riding with Meeting various people and taking different recommendations on what I should have in my tool pack. When I started reading about and prepping for the Tour of Idaho ride I came across some "enlightening" advice.

Q: What should I pack? What do you consider indispensable items?

A: Not much. Light is way better than heavy. We use Ogio Flight Vests (with 2.0 liter bladders) and very lightweight backpacks. We carry energy bars, a wilderness emergency and first aid kit, a small tool kit, survival equipment, a personal shelter, a beacon, camera gear, GPS and that's about it. Some mail changes of clothes ahead to the motels they plan on staying in (well, one of the posse does). An emergency beacon is a great idea. A WI-FI capable cell phone with a good browser is also a good idea as it will allow you to both call from motels in areas that have no cell service and download Google Maps to help you with the route ahead. Pack the minimum that you think you can get away with then chuck half of what remains. Light is right. If you carry a lot of heavy stuff you will end up needing every bit of it. Check out our T1 tested review.

I have owned and sold an Ogio Flight Vest. It was great for loading up everything I needed and kept it handy, but was like wearing a wool sweater over my riding gear.

Now I just use a smaller size back/hydration pack and fill it with what I NEED.

Count me as another "ex-flight vest" guy

Stifling, and lots of pockets you feel obligated to fill up

Yep...I never liked the idea of those vests either. Why carry it on my body when the broke can carry everything.