mtnmanseth

Truck transmission shop?

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I'm brand new to the area and need some advice...

I have a 2006 Ford F150 4X4 that developed transmission slippage last night. I live in Encinitas, work on Carmel Mountain road. I have NO CLUE who to bring it to... can anyone suggest a reputable transmission repair shop in San Diego, please?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Cheers

My friend Colin at Top Value Tire recommends Advanced Automatic Transmissions...619-449-7957 in Santee....a bit of a drive for you, but good work is worth the travel sometimes.

Talk to Ian or Joseph.

Anyone Colin recommends has to be good, otherwise he wouldn't recommend them. Colin is a fellow motorcyclist, Desert Dash & SDAR supporter, and a stand up guy.

Great, thanks Randy, I completely agree that quality work is worth a little extra time/effort...

I'll try to reach Ian or Joseph.

Thanks again!

OH, please remember to tell them Colin at Top Value Tire recommended them.

First thing I did was check transmission fluid, which was replaced about 10k miles ago by previous owner. Fluid was clear red, smelled new, not burnt, and level was perfect. Truck has an EDGE programmer with transmission fluid temp display, which has always ranged 140-160 degrees F in past 6k miles that I've owned the truck. Not sure what's up...

Tow truck is en route to get it to Ian at Advanced Automatic Transmissions. Randy, I did specify that I was sent by Colin.

Ugh, this may be an expensive one... definitely cutting into my new KTM/Husaberg purchase budget :angry2:

Thanks fellas for your advice!

I've got the same truck, same year, and same programmer. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya!

One reason I like stick shift better....I've got over 320,000 miles on the original tranny in my '98 F150.

Seth, good luck with yours....hope it doesn't cost too much.

Randy, I bought my 2006 F150 after I sold my 98 F150 in May. My 98 had the 4.6L, 5-speed manual, with 235,000 miles on it. Didn't leak a drop, ran perfect. Changed the STOCK CLUTCH at 190k!! My mechanic was amazed. It was a Montana truck, loooooooooong highway miles, no stop and go traffic, I sold it because I didn't think it would last a week in SoCal driving conditions. Had to leave the 'ole boy in Montucky. The reason I bought another Ford truck was my experience with my 1998. This new truck so far... <_</> We'll see, may be a simple replacement part, right?

post-15274-059672000 1380916200_thumb.jp

Randy, I bought my 2006 F150 after I sold my 98 F150 in May. My 98 had the 4.6L, 5-speed manual, with 235,000 miles on it. Didn't leak a drop, ran perfect. Changed the STOCK CLUTCH at 190k!! My mechanic was amazed. It was a Montana truck, loooooooooong highway miles, no stop and go traffic, I sold it because I didn't think it would last a week in SoCal driving conditions. Had to leave the 'ole boy in Montucky. The reason I bought another Ford truck was my experience with my 1998. This new truck so far... <_</>/> We'll see, may be a simple replacement part, right?

My '98 has been ALL SoCal and Nevada miles, mixture of stop & go and highway miles....yep, I have the 4.6 with 5 speed manual.

I do think FORD makes the best trucks !

How many miles on your current F150 ? That's a good lookin' truck.

I have the 150 crew cab... 103,000 miles, with a mixture of freeway (live in Alpine) and stop and go (work by the beach)... never an issue; front brakes lasted 80,000 miles, rear brakes, 100,000

last truck was a 250stretch cab, with diesel... transmission needed rebuilding at 235,000 miles... $1700

Got my truck back today. Advanced Automatic Transmissions in Santee took it in, tore it apart, and found a split "forward drum" and some burnt/worn rings, gears, and bands. I opted to have them rebuild mine rather than get a Ford remanufactured, despite the warranty being 3x longer. They already had it in the air and Ian (the owner) did a fine job of explaining how my own rebuilt transmission (with some upgraded/HD guts including torque converter) would be better in the long run vs. a reman tranny. $2,630 all said and done. Truck drives GREAT, seems to shift even smoother. So far so good, hope this one lasts another 98k miles!! Thanks for the guidance, Randy.

Needless to say, my plans to buy a KTM or Husaberg 450 is... delayed <_</>