Sign in to follow this  
ADV Bum

Map, XR650l, and a boy with a sense of adventure!

post-174-1191211882.jpgpost-174-1191211922.jpgpost-174-1191211938.jpgpost-174-1191211951.jpgpost-174-1191211963.jpg

I ended up going last night. Went alone. Got up early this morning had coffee, and off I went. I rode most of Lake Silverwood, all of miller canyon. First photo is a downhill that I decided against going down. Was a very long steep hill on the other side that I wanted to do, just did not know if I could get out without trouble. I stopped where the rock is. A little late im afraid. I had to try and turn around on the decline. It was early and I did not want to ruin the day. That was the only hill up or down that I turned away from. Rode everything forwards and back. The bike was running fantastic. Probably the best day of technical riding I have ever had. I think those new pivoting pegs had alot to do with it.

Hooked up with a couple as I was coming out of miller canyon. They took me to pinnacles, some single track up to Lake arrowhead. I ate lunch at the lake. Beautiful. Rode the street back to my place to relax for a couple hours during mid day heat. The bike is chilling in the back of the cabin. Early afternoon I went back into miller canyon searching for some roads. Found the Tunnel trail that was supposed to be closed. Wasnt. Did some exploring where the fires where. On the way back I found a tiny trail with a ribbon. Single track some club had marked out. Did it! I wanted to go down to Deep Creek , but did not have time. Did about 80 miles.

All in all it was fantastic! Wish someone could of gone. Next time it should be and all day ride during the week to avoid people on the trails.

post-174-1191211882.jpgpost-174-1191211922.jpgpost-174-1191211938.jpgpost-174-1191211951.jpgpost-174-1191211963.jpg

I ended up going last night. Went alone. Got up early this morning had coffee, and off I went. I rode most of Lake Silverwood, all of miller canyon. First photo is a downhill that I decided against going down. Was a very long steep hill on the other side that I wanted to do, just did not know if I could get out without trouble. I stopped where the rock is. A little late im afraid. I had to try and turn around on the decline. It was early and I did not want to ruin the day. That was the only hill up or down that I turned away from. Rode everything forwards and back. The bike was running fantastic. Probably the best day of technical riding I have ever had. I think those new pivoting pegs had alot to do with it.

Hooked up with a couple as I was coming out of miller canyon. They took me to pinnacles, some single track up to Lake arrowhead. I ate lunch at the lake. Beautiful. Rode the street back to my place to relax for a couple hours during mid day heat. The bike is chilling in the back of the cabin. Early afternoon I went back into miller canyon searching for some roads. Found the Tunnel trail that was supposed to be closed. Wasnt. Did some exploring where the fires where. On the way back I found a tiny trail with a ribbon. Single track some club had marked out. Did it! I wanted to go down to Deep Creek , but did not have time.

All in all it was fantastic! Wish someone could of gone. Next time it should be and all day ride during the week to avoid people on the trails.

Sounds like a great time. I'm glad my link to the FS website didn't scare you off. I wish I was able to tag along.

I heard it was WAY CROWDED up there today. Did you run into many other people?

I managed not to run into anyone! I did see people in certain parts. Seems those 4x4 golf cart things are getting really popular. The trails were really rutted and torn up. I have not ridden there in a couple of years and was suprised.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Who was the boy you rode with. <_<

I'm not trying to start a bitch war, but it saddens me to see how popular the 4x4 golf carts are becoming. I used to own a quad and loved riding it, but a bike was always more fun and required more skill to ride than the quad. Those f'n rhinos require 0 skill to take off road and the idiots behind the wheel have even less knowledge of off road etiquette and responsibility than the typical quadtard.

At least the 4 or 5 that I've seen off roading were quieter than most of our bikes. I guess it's only a matter of time before they all start hooking up with aftermarket exhausts.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I had a good time at Big Bear, but we had a head on in our group. Seemed to me like a unsafe place to ride. :) Lots of people up there. :unsure:<_<

I guess the only good place left to ride is from Carlsbad to Mexico for surf trips.

Damb, I guess I will have to sell the XRL. <_<

Damb, I guess I will have to sell the XRL.

Carguy, How much for your bike that's for sale?

highjack <_<

Roger

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I guess the only good place left to ride is from Carlsbad to Mexico for surf trips.

Now your learning. When are we going. Its not a Dual Sport if your only rideing. <_<

Hooked up with a couple as I was coming out of miller canyon. They took me to pinnacles, some single track up to Lake arrowhead. I ate lunch at the lake. Beautiful. Rode the street back to my place to relax for a couple hours during mid day heat. The bike is chilling in the back of the cabin. Early afternoon I went back into miller canyon searching for some roads. Found the Tunnel trail that was supposed to be closed. Wasnt. Did some exploring where the fires where. On the way back I found a tiny trail with a ribbon. Single track some club had marked out. Did it! I wanted to go down to Deep Creek , but did not have time. Did about 80 miles.

all day ride during the week! <_< I'm there... a few days notice and I'll take the day off

I'm not trying to start a bitch war, but it saddens me to see how popular the 4x4 golf carts are becoming. I used to own a quad and loved riding it, but a bike was always more fun and required more skill to ride than the quad. Those f'n rhinos require 0 skill to take off road and the idiots behind the wheel have even less knowledge of off road etiquette and responsibility than the typical quadtard.

At least the 4 or 5 that I've seen off roading were quieter than most of our bikes. I guess it's only a matter of time before they all start hooking up with aftermarket exhausts.

I have mixed emotions here... I figure the more people on the trails, the more voters we have keeping trails open. I may be thinking more of them than most of them deserve, but we can hope they stay off the single track, and dride within their skill and within the capabilities of their machines. (sic)

You're right... they should be educated. most of the people I know that that have them are ex-riders that just couldn't keep up, or else got tired of the injuries they got from trying to keep up. They know better than to drive like tards, they just don't care that much anymore. Also on the plus side; they stay within a six pack of the campgrounds... on the negative side, they have a six pack within them.

So Im stuck between a) embrace them as off road enthusiasts that can help our cause and <_< ostracize them as anti-trail fodder for the masses

...most of the people I know that that have them are ex-riders that just couldn't keep up, or else got tired of the injuries they got from trying to keep up. They know better than to drive like tards, they just don't care that much anymore. Also on the plus side; they stay within a six pack of the campgrounds... on the negative side, they have a six pack within them.

Are you trying to say there's a Rhino in my future??? :D

So Im stuck between a) embrace them as off road enthusiasts that can help our cause and :D ostracize them as anti-trail fodder for the masses

The only way I'm gonna let you embrace me <_< is if you put a WHOLE BUNCH of tequila and a little bit of margarita mix in the ostarcizer first :unsure: We can do some testing out at Superstition and we'll see how far you can get... Just remember, I'm a pitcher, not a catcher :D:):D

*******************************************************************************************

BTW - Nice ride Mike! Looks like you had some great weather. Sometimes I can sneak away for a weekday ride and I hate to see you pass on a trail due to lack of riding partner. Keep me posted too :D

...most of the people I know that that have them are ex-riders that just couldn't keep up, or else got tired of the injuries they got from trying to keep up. They know better than to drive like tards, they just don't care that much anymore. Also on the plus side; they stay within a six pack of the campgrounds... on the negative side, they have a six pack within them.

Are you trying to say there's a Rhino in my future??? :D

So Im stuck between a) embrace them as off road enthusiasts that can help our cause and :D ostracize them as anti-trail fodder for the masses

The only way I'm gonna let you embrace me <_< is if you put a WHOLE BUNCH of tequila and a little bit of margarita mix in the ostarcizer first :D We can do some testing out at Superstition and we'll see how far you can get... Just remember, I'm a pitcher, not a catcher :):D:D

*******************************************************************************************

BTW - Nice ride Mike! Looks like you had some great weather. Sometimes I can sneak away for a weekday ride and I hate to see you pass on a trail due to lack of riding partner. Keep me posted too :D

:unsure: Rob... rest easy... my tastes definitely run thinner, shorter and with far less facial hair... or back hair for that matter

as far as the baseball analogy... I play center field... I'll just sit back and watch whatever you and the catcher figure out... If you guys do it right, I won't even have to play.

and Osterizing is different that ostracizing... damn... now you're making me wonder if I spelled that correctly.

Now your learning. When are we going. Its not a Dual Sport if your only rideing. :unsure:

Anyways; Whatever!

all day ride during the week! <_< I'm there... a few days notice and I'll take the day off

BTW - Nice ride Mike! Looks like you had some great weather. Sometimes I can sneak away for a weekday ride and I hate to see you pass on a trail due to lack of riding partner. Keep me posted too :)

Next time I will give more notice. It would be nice to do a long morning run, take a break and relax, then do an extended evening into night ride. I had a lot of fun, so hopefully I will be going more often.