ontheroad

9/20 Corral trail 3 *learn from my f'up*

So it's black diamond practice day, great weather, just put new foldable levers on the 530, ready to do some rock practice.

Notice when I start off that the brake lever feels more abrupt and powerful, great if you're used to it, but it is noticeable.

I try to always have a finger on the front brake, but this new lever is causing me to have to re-learn how to be less aggressive with it (warning sign #1)

Hop onto 8, connect through Bobcat on 1 to 3, go over Bronco Peak, all good. This is my first time on 3, have done all the others though so thinking no big deal.

Toward the end of 3, somewhere around 3A, come down to what looks like about a 5' shear dropoff......there must be a split in the trail because it looks

like you'd need a trials bike and pretty good skills to jump up this face. But going down it, looks like you can just jump off it and land below. But I hesitate. (warning #2)

Stopping at the top, I find a very slight ramp on the right side and decide to try to roll it even though jumping it would make more sense, just hard on the bike. (warning #3)

I don't account for the fact that as I roll off this thing,

I will brace for the impact and that I always have a finger on the brake and that the front brake is touchy now and that I will be near vertical when all these unknowns get together.....

You can see where this is going. I tell myself "do not use any brakes" because of the steepness of the semi-ramp.....as I roll off, back as far as possible, all good,

but when I brace for the impact, my index finger automatically flexes and the new touchy front brake just drags enough that I'm now in a high speed rotating stoppie.....try to get back but too late

As it's flipping over I try to roll to the outside but the bike comes down on top of me on my left hand hard, middle two fingers feel like ice picks driven through them. Get up, dust off, all else good.

Get back on bike, clutch hand is in pretty good pain, tell myself to suck it up and finish 3 to 11 to perimeter. Back at truck fingers don't look right, drive home to LA, swing by ER, two broken fingers.

So,

I'm a dumbass for-

- riding alone

- the combination of knowing the front brake is touchy now, and my finger is always on it and going down technical rocks without re-learning/practice with new feel

- using technical rocks downhill to re-learn how my front brake feels now lol

- taking a way down a steep technical obstacle that is easier on the bike but more dangerous for me

- not backing out if it doesn't look/feel right, jumping it was fairly safe, rolling it questionable.

Plusses-

- time off work

- right hand skills will be off the hook yo

- this cast is a great back scratcher mmmmmmmm

- people in the grocery store now want to share their hemorrhoid stories with me

- CVS appreciation bonus points for buying the box of rubber bands from 1962 so that I can bag my arm 2x per day

It's a hard call, but I'd go with don't do what I did.

Is be less likely to make the same mistake if pics were posted. Perhaps a video of the fall?

(Glad you're safe)

If your are left handed ( sounds like you maybe ) You'll get a whole new appreciation for finger painting. :heh:

Hope the healing is fast.

I will ride most of the Corral Trails (I do have my least favorite) but stay off MOST of the blackdiamonds when riding alone

One is- yeah; you can crash

But also, in my experience, fewer people ride them, so less chance of random discovery of my body

Thanks for the well wishes.

Yeah the discovery thing could be a bummer. One week after the rains there were zero tracks on some of the black diamonds.

Even though I'm trying to laugh at what happened, it would be nice if this example helped someone else.

So besides the mistakes that got me into the downhill endo, there's the mistake of how the crash went.

Usually find a way off the bike that is reasonably safe, this time I just didn't separate enough as it came over the top.

I treated it like a high side tuck and roll (high side/low side I'm ok with, endo needs work)and just tried to roll sideways....not enough

Thing is I've been spoiled into thinking I'll separate from the bike, due to the momentum in a high side doing it for you.

But tucking and rolling here just guaranteed the bike was coming with me since momentum wasn't doing the separation part.

Imho, I should have pushed harder off the pegs to the side and then tucked and rolled, simulating the separation you automatically get in a high side.

Hard to practice but something to think about adding to the crashing techniques bag.

Glad you are Ok. It is a good thing to push yourself, that how you get better, but the caution is having an exit plan. Riding alone is awesome at times and then again can be concerning if you break or get hurt. If you have ASV type levers, there is an adjustment to increase or decrease the lever pressure/distance of throw. Take care

Thanks. Tried the ASV's and like the ARC's better for '08+ EXC's due to fitment/clearance. (ARC also makes the KTM hardparts ones)

The brake ratio is super strong though, feels like an oversize rotor now, nice but have to change pressure application.

Good thing I have good insurance too, looks like surgery on two fingers + 8 weeks out.

Yup, then after the surg. + 8 weeks in a soft cast, 4 weeks in a part time splint + PT. So 3 months, no scooter.

Get your insurance paid up too, total cost without it would have been ~ 2 new KTM's.....

(hence the ejection plan calculations for next time :lol: )