Sign in to follow this  
Afry

9/14-15 Lobster Run

Great fun! Todd, Kris and Seth have pics I hope they post up - cause this report sucks without them.

It was Mountainmanseth's birthday so we did this last minute trip down for lobster's and well - you know...drinks. Also joining us was Dave who contacted me from Meetup (It seems my post from here got posted up at Nomad Xventure Riders) Dave who has been riding street bikes for 30 years and practicing on his 525 but was going to ride his GSA which I agreed would be a good choice.

We met just north of the border and headed down to Puerto Neuvo for some great lobster lunch and drinks - from there we headed to Ojos Negros to top off fuel before heading up to Laguna Hansen where we were surprised to see Sondra! After hugs and a cold one we got mixed ride reports form the guys coming up there for the big party that night.

One of the guys said we could not get to Compadre trail form there on the trail we had tracks for and and that Compadre was blown out from the rain with big wash outs and sand pits near our destination Rancho Santa Veronica. Well one of the 3 was correct - there were big sand washes just south of RSV but not impassable.

Compadre was in good condition and the trail we took down from LH to compadre was a little washed out but super fun. Some short sandy sections and water crossings but overall a little too much for Dave. After a couple crashes he slowed down a bit (those GSA's are heavy) and we made our way to RSV around 9 just in time to grab some grub, cold beers and smooth tequila. We were surprised to see the dining room at RSV packed with folks there to see the Mayweather/Canelo fight - perfect timing!

After enjoying the fight Seth and Kris stayed up to drink tequila shots with new found friends.....heh.gif

Todd had to be back in SD early so he hit the road before breakfast. We took off later to find almost no line at the border (!). Dave went home from there so Seth, Kris and I decided to take 94 east to Campo then hit Bear Valley up and over to Pine Valley for some more fun. It is a little washed out and rocky but no one else there so....perfect! We then took Viejas Grade to Alpine for lunch at Alpine Brewery from there we all headed home.

Once again a great Baja adventure!

Everything Arnie said was spot on, another great trip south. After my first foray through Tijuana, we started down the coast. Things soon became a mirrored bizarro-world of the SD coastline to me. After going through the big city, I saw a sign for La Joya. Hmm, must be the Mexican version. Then further south a sign for Rio Del Mar. Unfortunately, Puerto Nuevo didn't turn out to be a Germanic doppleganger of Carlsbad. But it was still strange to see people hawking lobsters in the street as we rode by.

aRMdEga.jpg

I think Seth got the recommendation for this place from a friend, turned into a good choice.

P5Itmjk.jpg

They stuck us gringo's in the back corner of the restaurant..

f71jTt6.jpg

..with a great view of the coastline.

ETmtWtn.jpg

The large lobster, an amazing bowl of tortilla soup, rice, beans, and tortillas for $26.

JvBeNzE.jpg

Bellies full, let's find some dirt.

r7mkB3G.jpg

East from Ensenada and just past Ojos Negros on Hwy 3 we started our way north to Laguna Hanson.

IkfGfPn.jpg

We made it to the Sawmill, where some got their first taste of milk jug gas. Some other dirt bikes were also filling up..and wait who's that with them. Sondra of course, down in Baja by herself looking for adventure. It was great timing to run into her, so we shared a round of drinks to contemplate our next move. Two older guys who rolled in on dirtbikes told us "the road is impassable on those big bikes". I had done the route connecting Laguna Hanson to Compadre and couldn't imagine anything more than some puddles. Dave's hesitation on the GSA was easily sensed, but we didn't really think it would be too bad. Adventure bikes roll on..so we did.

We stopped at Laguna Hanson and it was brimming with water. Just one month prior it was bone dry. Heavy rains must have come through with those storms, a sure sign of the puddles to come.

uLmWIiK.jpg

Things never really got that bad, typical puddle dodging, short sections of some moderately deep sand, but at one point Dave and Todd were taking a while to catch up. Finally we heard engines through the trees, but not happy campers. Dave must have gotten loose somewhere at the wrong spot and nosed the beemer into a trailside tree. Luckily it was only some expensive surface damage via the lights and one increasingly frustrated Dave. I know how it feels to smash something expensive it's never easy. From here on we took our time navigating our way to Compadre.

Making a slight detour around a GSA unfriendly section of trail.

iY2a6jL.jpg

Not long after we came upon our biggest puddle yet, more of a bog. I was following Dave and I guess he didn't see any way around so he set sail for the middle, but only made it halfway. I skirted around the left side through muddy grass, but Dave was still spinning away in the muddy water. Seth and I waded in to our knees and gave him a push and he was soon out of that mess.

Seth stopped for this guy on the side of the trail. Always good to see some wildlife.

TN4Z7qr.jpg

Then Arnie comes back to say he ran him over :lol:/> Snake seemed fine though and was moving it's tongue. Probably just frightened of the brute 950SE.

We are running out of daylight and still not on Compadre.

svzC6f5.jpg

It wasn't all bad though, I got to finally use my LED lights to moderate success. One kept flickering on me and I'm confident it's just a lose wire connection. Riding through Baja at night though was a first and I think we all enjoyed it, except maybe for Dave. The trail turned out to be no issue at all. We slow rolled our way through the night, but about 3 miles short of RSV, our Sawmill Sage's advice finally rang true. 2-3Deep pits of sand littered the road for about a 1/4 mile each. Dave had a tough time of it plowing the beemer through. It makes for easy falls though, and with a little help picking up the bike, he always got back on it.

Out of the darkness and at our final destination, we stumbled into a bar full of locals hoping to see Mexico take down undefeated Mayweather. I'm sure they were just as surprised to see us.

R2p8hzO.jpg

As if we had reserved seats prior, Miguel sat us all at the bar for prime viewing of the fight, excellent quesadillas, and of course only the best for a round of birthday shots.

oJBixHd.jpg

El Mejor...according to Miguel

1RByq5L.jpg

Seth and I got forced into some additional beverages by some Tijuana locals. The one guy runs a machine shop with a CNC machine and insisted that we come to him if we ever need anything made as he's "half the price" of the US. Even a one run item. All he needs is an autoCAD drawing. Nice guys and we thanked them for the drinks, but had to get some sleep. Hope their business grows.

Next morning we made the fastest return ever through the border. Sunday at 10AM..I'll remember that.

LX6XZWU.jpg

Arnie, Seth and I did a quick rip up Bear Valley and had lot's of fun doing it. I gave my new suspension quite a ride this weekend have been nothing but pleased.

Here's to doing it again sometime.. :drinks:/>

"Seth and I got forced into some additional beverages by some Tijuana locals"

Kinda surprised you were able to ride back with those arms still twisted behind your back......

Looks like another successful trip and had to be a good way to spend a birthday weekend, eh Seth..?

Fuzzynug's ride report is pretty comprehensive so I don't have too much to add but here are a few shots of the fun. As usual baja didn't disappoint with regards to fun, cervesa's, tequila and adventure...

The obligatory crossing the border pic (of course with glove)

P1000341_zpsd3ba855e.jpg

Before or after lobster... I can't recall but this place was definitely worth the stop (I had the Steak & Lobster for $21)

P1000345_zpsc4189a24.jpg

The boys were ready to hit the dirt heavily laden with Lobster no doubt

P1000354_zps228c9e2e.jpg

P1000355_zps150f8514.jpg

Seth enjoying the birthday ride

9d85d05f-be9f-4615-85fc-1b1387a606ab_zpsa1f5f888.jpg

P1000360_zpsbdda650d.jpg

The Sawmill/Laguna Hansen... stop for beer and gas. Ran into the larger SD dual sport ride coming south and a rogue Slagnado.

P1000361_zpsbe15fc1a.jpg

P1000368_zps8bdf0b6a.jpg

$7 for premium and worth it...

P1000363_zps74f0b239.jpg

The scene of the crime.. the GSA sought out and found "the" tree. Rider was fine... the $700 headlight assembly was not.

P1000373_zpsc969c20d.jpg

The trail from LH to Compadre (that according to the southbound elder riders didn't exist AND we shouldn't take on "big bikes") needless to say it was a blast - washed out, sandy, rocky but fun as h*ll!

P1000375_zpsdf5234ac.jpg

As mentioned above the north end of Compadre near Rancho Santa Veronica does have a few pretty solid, deep sand patches now. Big bike riders beware...

P1000380_zps27517424.jpg

Dirty, tired but enjoying RSV as usual

P1000381_zps91a023b5.jpg

P1000384_zps2057bbc8.jpg

All in all another great ride... can't wait to go back :D/>