kvanderstel

90 DR650 vibration

I've picked up this vibration that is definitely engine related. I feel it all the time but gets more rhythmic as rpm's increase. I have yet to check engine mounts, I'll do that soon, but are there other internal things I can look for? It runs great, no weird noises, nothing. Ok, one thing, I swear, the sound of the engine seems...... Muffled? Maybe I'm dreaming.

This engine has counter balancing right? Could a broken clutch spring do it?

Suggestions welcome

A failed muffler will cause all those symptoms. I had one fail internally.

I vote motor mounts.

Well, both are easy to check. The muffler theory will require that I bother the neighbors a bit, but it shouldn't take long :rolleyes:/> :rolleyes:/> :rolleyes:/>

I took the clutch assembly apart, and I noticed the helical gear ring on the back of the basket is a bit wiggly.

Is that the cause of my vibration?

Is the part in THIS pic?

Yes, item 1 in the diagram. It gear ring has helical cut gears and seems to be riveted on, does not look serviceable. But it is loose, I would figure the gear should be fixed tight to the basket....

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I can guess something manufactured to be solid - riveted - should remain that way. There's a lot of stress right there and if it's not solid, I think it's probably the source of your vibration.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61568 <-- this thread may have some answers, too.

If new parts are hard to find or not budget friendly, somebody here might have a good shop to take it to for a re-riveting if it's not too far gone?