Wow when those guys said they were making it hard this year they weren't kidding. I think they took the Crown Jewels from all the previous years and made one extremely tough route this year. For those who weren't dumb enough to do the hard routes you missed doing Gold Mt twice, John Bull, The nasty crab flats single track down hill, deep creek, white mt, all before lunch. Lots of hard stuff on the second loop too. I got my plaque and hope you did too!

Great job on getting the plaque this year. Ck Pt 7 was no joke.

Well laid out course and the tracks were perfect. I thought the start might be a bit congested with everyone having to check in at the Convention center and then heading striaght to Gold Mtn. No issues at all with it. On Gold Mtn riders were either moving or tipped over. One you don't have to pass; the other is easy to pass. lol

Well done!

I showed up Friday afternoon at the Motel 6 and BS'd with Vic a bit before heading over for GPS registration duties.......we'll be making a few changes to the process next year (improving maps, rider instructions, etc.)

Good thing we went GPS only this year because the Permit Gods informed us we needed to change the tracks at 12pm on Friday :thumbsdown_anim:/> .........just hours before registration was to begin...... (we were forced to remove Jacoby Canyon, and a few other spots....long story)

Back to the GPS table Sat morning before unloading The Smoker/suiting up for my afternoon Hardway Sweep assignment

IMAG1970_zpsacde9663.jpg

Gil and I rode down to the gas station at 12pm to begin sweep but found out only ~70 riders had passed through the prior checkpoint :bigeyed:/> .......riders we're required to check in at the convention center no earlier than 6am on Sat.......and the ~90 mile morning loop was a "Best of" the north side of the lake.........so it wasn't surprising (to me) that it was taking folks ~6+ hours to get through the course/log jams........we hung out until ~1:30 then made our way between gas in Bear Bear and 38 Special (AKA Oxygen Hill and/or Pussycat Hill)......

We came across a couple of broken bikes but no broken bodies........I got back into town around 6pm then drove back out to 38 special in my truck to pick up a guy with a smoked clutch.......made it back around 7:45......luckily they were still serving dinner......

Proceeds from the ride were used to contribute to some local/worthy causes (high school scholarships/forest service).....the long tough course took it's toll......pretty sure less than ~50 folks rec'd plaques (I think the number was ~46-49)......versus the ~110(?) that rec'd plaques last year......

Any idea how many riders tried the "hard way" ? In 09 I think the # was around 170 and as I recall 60 plaqued...

I think I heard 175 attempts and 43 plaques. I switched to a crf250x a year back and was really happy, the smaller bike is much easier on the body than the 450, believe it or not it's faster in this terrain. Also found that the key is to ride everything as pushing, lifting carrying will wear you down faster than anything. Dont use the clutch to shift, save that hand for the nasty climbs where you need clutch finess. Sit down on the nasty stuff, it goes against everything you've learned but the bike will track straight and hook up much better. Also being the first 20 through these sections is so important as the trails break down quickly. I couldn't believe how bad Gold Mt was on the second run through at lunch. Don't think I'd have finished if I was towards the back, especially on Pussy Cat Hill, only 5 bikes had gone through before me and it was trashed, think silt filled with shale. A couple more tips, MX 51 rear tire 110/100-18 at 10 psi hooked up amazingly, run a Ultra Hd tube with slime. MX 51 front with UHD tube at 15psi. Of course trials tires are amazing but take away from the bravado of such a core ride. Never wack the throttle, conserve and keep moving so the bike stays cool. The hardest part was lugging jugs of fuel to make sure the bike made the 90 miles between fue, next time ill run a larger tank.l. Oh and going alone if your comfortable with that as waiting for partners can cause over heating and exhaustion. I'm no expert just know what works for me and hate seeing guys making harder than it already is. If you do your homework it really makes it that much more enjoyable. Happy trails

Ryan

Excellent info and agree fully. If riding with a "partner" I think a radio is a must. In 09 I had to wait at least 3 times for mine for more than an hour total and that was before the 2nd check point..... no communication was really bad, especially when I found out that he had quit after the 1st check point while I waited at the top of some hill for more than 30 minutes.....watching dozens of riders go by. Really hurt since we started at 6am and were one of the 1st riders out..... Then the other problem was that it didnt matter at that point what line you had on a hill as there were a bunch of other riders stacked up on the hills & you also had to stop.... Got back into BB around 3:30 went to the condo to find my partner watching TV..... I was starving, tired, wanted to quit but slammed down some yogurt a banana some water and grabbed my cell phone and wallet (forgot them in the rush to leave early) and went back out for the 2nd round. got my 5th check point came up on the sweeps around 6:30 or so and they told me there was no way I could make anymore check points just head back into town via the slab........ Was a bitter sweet end to the ride. Met some great folks and the dinner and raffle were the icing. Congrats on the plaque !

OK, so what Ryan said I do the exact opposite. I rode tires with 5500 miles already on them. I had 8 gallons of fuel. I carried my bike up everything. (those were my footprints up Pussycat) Holding on the bars with a death grip 100% of the way!

(laughing)

This ride is a crap shoot at best. I had no problems in the first half then on the second half I was tossed onto the ground several times w/o notice.

You just never know when it's coming.

Make it or not I'll guarantee you'll have a story to tell.

Thumbs up to all.

$85.00

+

odo: 210

Time: 9hrs 12min

Moving Avg: 24.3

Stopped: 33min

Equals this...

post-14596-091774400 1372171370_thumb.jp

and this.. (tear down/rebuild for next event)

post-14596-035885500 1372171466_thumb.jp

Tear Down Thread ohmy.gif

Major Watch on that. How many hours? Any symptoms initiating the event? How does it look inside?

dirol.gif

Congrats on the Plaque "Very Extreme Trails" YOU had to love that. I am quite content to congratulate others.

....Of course trials tires are amazing but take away from the bravado of such a core ride.

Whatever man :coolio: . I'm old/fat/slow and looking for any advantage I can get :big_boss: .......which is why I also carry a SAE air compressor......Pussy Cat hill is much easier if you air the rear tires down to ~5psi on that last straight uphill climb....then air'em back up to ~10PSI when you're done ;)

...I rode tires with 5500 miles already on them.

No sense showing up to this ride with "new" knobbies......the rocks will rip them right off and/or cause you to slide off......

See ya next year :good:

I carry the compressor to.... but mines for the blow up doll in my backpack! I swear I only use her to get by in the carpool lanes... HA!!!

See you again next year C.

Slavens Tests ; Trials compound / Knobby

Tear Down Thread ohmy.gif

Major Watch on that. How many hours? Any symptoms initiating the event? How does it look inside?

dirol.gif

Congrats on the Plaque "Very Extreme Trails" YOU had to love that. I am quite content to congratulate others.

I'll do a write up on a new post. Should have done a better job with photos but I didn't think anyone would be into it.

More to come....

Here are some pics, i borrowed a few of the trail photos off FaceBook. Working on a video that'll i'll share later today, it doesn't have much content though since the GoPro died after 15mins.

Starting this ride on a old tire is tough, Kudos to you!! Oh and with a soft throttle my rear tire is looking really good.

post-6116-039966500 1372175930_thumb.jpg

post-6116-082987300 1372175931_thumb.jpg

post-6116-035594900 1372175933_thumb.jpg

post-6116-087524000 1372175934_thumb.jpg

post-6116-011593600 1372175936_thumb.jpg

post-6116-057460700 1372175937_thumb.jpg

post-6116-051205500 1372175942_thumb.jpg

Awesome pics! Most times photos will not show difficulty but those bikes thrown all over the trail really drives the point home.

Super sweet.

OMG Vic u lost ur red head!!!! nice plaques guys.

Congrats on the fun times in BB! Had to take a rain check on my 3rd attempt for a plaque due to sister's wedding up north. Makes me a little sad seeing the picture of one then glancing over at the wall in the office which should have plaque #3 next to 2011 & 2012. Next year it's ON! Don't forget the Moonlight Madness run on Aug 3rd. A nice little kick in the pants...