unhuskyman

Finally got bit. or maybe nibbled on the 805

Heading to work this morning. Car changes lanes 20 feet in front of me no signal and stops between lanes. I slam into the back of her car at about 20mph. End up on the freeway and quickly push my bike out of the way. I was fine and only slight damage to the bike.

Please remember to ride safe and don't split lanes too fast/ forget how fast things can happen. This possibly could have been avoided on my part. Big thanks to the guy on the white triumph who stopped to see if I was ok.

Ride safe!

Glad you're okay. Were you lane splitting? I'm trying to understand what happened exactly, more details please.

Is it where the 52 merges with the northbound 805? I literally elbowed off the side of a car a few months back right there, I wasn't even splitting lanes at the time! That was before they narrowed up the fast lane, I stop splitting at that point after that, can't wait for them to be done, that whole area is dangerous right now! Glad your ok!

Yes I was lane splitting. Car changed lanes right in front of me. As much as I woild like to curse them. I was simply going to fast, and she was trying to get one whole car length ahead in traffic...

Just north of the 8 on 805 north

Hope you are fine.. That is why I understand the law as 5 mph to "split" 2 or more lanes same way not far left or far right and 10 mph "passing" crossing broken yellow line on two way roads.

If I'm wrong some one please post what is right...

My understanding was that lane splitting itself was illegal, while lane sharing is not. Its one of the greyest of grey areas.

Ca law states Lane splitting/sharing is legal, but dangerous.

I got my first ticket in over twenty years last year for lane splitting. I was asked if I thought what I was doing was safe and I stated no that CA law states its not safe and the vehicle hand book states the same. I wasn't traveling over 10 mph of traffic which was flowing on I-8 east at 30 and i was cited for 40. End of story.

Hers a good info link for the states version on lane splitting/Sharing.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

Remember that CA has the basic speed law which always applies. And when switching lanes while In the act one needs to use proper signals or perhaps face a failed to signal citation. Also new laws requires the use of mounted signals when working in addition to hand signals.

And the PoPo has his discretion for the basic speed law.

Needless to say I have a clean driving record. Knock on my head :)

Glad you're ok.

Have had many more "serious" close ones stopped with a near rear ender rather than splitting,

would still rather have to negotiate a maneuver in the same direction at near the same speed (splitting)

vs. being stopped and sandwiched at a light or traffic jam with zero time and outs to react, but good reminder of splitting speed issues.

LOL at the "it is not ok to lane split at a toll booth" :heh:

Saw a ladder in the middle of the fast lane on 5 freeway today just past camp pendelton northbound

There was a quarter section of a hot tub on 94 the other day on the way back from Vey's Lemon Grove.

...had it been a whole hot tub, I do believe I would've done my fellow motorists a favor and removed it. :D

Saw a ladder in the middle of the fast lane on 5 freeway today just past camp pendelton northbound

There was a quarter section of a hot tub on 94 the other day on the way back from Vey's Lemon Grove.

...had it been a whole hot tub, I do believe I would've done my fellow motorists a favor and removed it. :D/>

Must be a CA thing, cause I've never driven anyplace else with so many idiots that fail to secure stuff in their trucks!

Hows the bike?

Bike is fine blew up the front fender and put a little mar in the paint in the middle of the headlights. (Vstrom1000)

How are you doing? that is all I care about...... the bike you can replace it if you are healthy and in one peace no matter whether the insurance will cover the accident.Be safe out there riding is a very dangerous business.