Sign in to follow this  
pyro

Ramona to Santa Rosa Peak

We had a great ride out there today ! Special Thanks to Martoon for hooking it up, to Metal Twister for running relay on the posts, and much props to the good group that turned out for this ride. We started out from Ramona @ 8:45am with five riders, en route to meet rider #6 at an undisclosed intersection many miles up the road. Making good time, we blazed into the first checkpoint looking good. After a quick chat and some entertaining sideshow sedan drivers, our group of now 6 riders heads for the mountain:

1ea. KTM950 -> Now Thats One SICK MOTORCYCLE !

1ea. XR650L -> A Sweet rig for sure, especially on loan! (unfortunately the bike was running poorly due to some type of carb problem)

3ea. KLR650 -> A couple '06's and KLRoger's brand new '08 !

1ea. 400 Yamahoppie -> The bike we all wish we were riding up that mountain ! :blink:

After a quick stop for gas and some chorrizo and eggs, we were fueled up for the trip. Here's some photos:

Our fearless Leader

IMG_0261.jpg

Heading up the hill

IMG_0271.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

We managed to avoid a few minor obstacles along the way

IMG_0281.jpg

Top of the world, buddy boy ! Nice cool air and a great view.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Thanks for a totally awesome ride Jim and crew. Good Times !

IMG_0286.jpg

From the low lands all the way up to the Pine trees -->

250+ MILES on the meter. Another great SDAR Dual Sport Adventure !

Until next time,

RIDE ON AMIGOS !

Just want to add my thanks to Martoon for leading the way and the rest of the guys for great ride. Damn, now I have to go back to work!

Carl

Great looking ride! So how much was asphalt? How much was dirt? Great pics as always Troy, after seeing them I really kick myself for not finding a way to make it out with you guys yesterday.Thanks for the post and showing Martoon how cool this club really is. Bob

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Did you guys do the last climb up to the radio towers? I've been meaning to get back up there, this time on a bike (last time was in my truck). I'll definately have to catch the next run up there.

OK, now for what Pyro didn’t tell you. Here I am a newbee on my first ride with the club. I’ve just meet the ride leader Jim Martin and I see Pyro walking over to us, so trying to be polite I extend my hand in friendship expecting a handshake. What does Troy do? :blink: …Why he shoves my bike over in the parking lot and tries to light it on fire! He couldn’t find his lighter but my new 08 KLR is all scratched up and Troy starts taking pictures of it! What kind of a ‘how do you do’ is that? :D

While I should stick to this story I guess I should tell the truth. I was sitting on the bike when I saw Troy walk over. I had the kickstand down and the bike was resting on it (so I thought). I stick my hand out to Troy and shifted my weight pushing the bike over to the right. The stand holds this bike up so straight that this little movement was enough to send it off balance to the right. Because my hand was extended toward Troy on my left I couldn’t catch the bike before it fell over in the Parking lot. Jim caught part of the bike and kept it from landing very hard. He then picked it up for me (thank you sir). B)

Now put yourself in my shoes. You want to go on a ride with these guys that you just met. You hope that they will let you ride with them to a mountaintop that you have never been to. You hope to make a favorable impression with them. So the first thing you do that will stick in their minds is drop you new bike in a Parking lot! :D

Now I fully expected to drop the bike several times after we hit the dirt, but not while parked. I was very surprised when I was able to keep it upright going up and down the mountain. It was great following these guys. They showed me a nice pace on the dirt. Without them showing me how, I might have ended up crawling up the road. I now know that you can travel on dirt in 2nd and 3rd gear without problems. The ride was great and the group was terrific. I can’t even describe the view from the top of the mountain. I’m hooked…When is the next ride? :P

DigDug we did not go the radio towers. We stopped at the cabin site.

I was looking for Santa Rosa Peak on google, but could not come up with it.

Can you post the route?

Looks like a great run!!!

Can you post the route?

I know Toro Peak is in the same area, the next peak over, I think... but that trail and ride description looks exactly like the Toro Peak ride... even the mid pine picture break looks the same, as well as the last pitch to the radio towers.

Can you post the route?

I know Toro Peak is in the same area, the next peak over, I think... but that trail and ride description looks exactly like the Toro Peak ride... even the mid pine picture break looks the same, as well as the last pitch to the radio towers.

Same road. You hit Santa Rosa Mountain first and if you continue, the road takes you up to Toro Peak. This page has the best description, directions, maps and pictures:

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SantaRosaMt.htm

Here's his directions:

From San Diego - Head North on the I-15 and take the CA-79 South exit when coming into Temecula. Take CA-79 South (its actually more like east) 17.8 miles to the CA-371. Turn left (North) onto CA-371 and take it for 20.7 miles. to CA-74. Turn right on CA-74. At around 5 miles left for Santa Rosa Mountain Road on you right. There is a small dirt area to part right off the road. In the unlikely event that there are several cars there you can go up the road for just a short distance to several other spots to park.

He's also got some other cool areas, although I'm not sure how legal they'd be for dualsports (it's a mountain biking site). If only I had more free time to explore... :D