Bikeslut, Axel, 1Kstep, Scubatoe and Logroller run. Good times as usual.

Bikeslut and Axel got there a bit before the rest to make a few pre-runs.

Log and 1Kstep arrived a few minutes late and I believe the group got riding just before 8am. No other bikes or vehicles present.

It was Scubatoe's first time out to McCain and he did great, just as the rest of the group did throughout the day.

Starting the ride up the big rock slab we rode mostly around the central meat of the trails and while it was a bit dusty, visibility was still very good.

Bikeslut and Alex ended their ride about 10am, partly because that was close to their end time anyway, but also due to a not so auspicious oil leak.

Log, 1Kstep and Scubatoe took a break and then headed out on the trails for approximately another 1 1/2 ending by noon. We started off at the south west end of the staging area and rode the switch back for a while with eventually heading north along the western border, cutting over to the power lines, but not the road, then weaving back through single track and switch back until we came out at the big rock slab to drop in to the parking lot. Upon our return there was 4 or 5 extra vehicles and about 6 or 7 bikes. Only crossed paths with other bikes a few times on the trails.

By the time we left at noon it was in the low 80s - IMO. Although 2 Ford temp gauges tried telling us it was 90, but I disbelieve. There was a nice little cool breeze on part of the day and at least for me I did not feel hot.

I got some video footage on the first half of the day, but dust/light and my card acting up I did not get much for viewing. Some how the card got full zeroing out any footage of the fun time switch back and single track on the latter half of the day.

Pic order:

1. Scubatoe and me pointing to 1Kstep on the far ridge (cannot really see him)

2. Bikeslut

3. Axel over rock in center, 1Kstep to left and Bikeslut to right on foot.

4. Trail

5. Boulders

post-15129-005547100 1367193523_thumb.pn

post-15129-023987300 1367193533_thumb.pn

post-15129-007187800 1367193543_thumb.pn

post-15129-078476100 1367193562_thumb.pn

post-15129-012588900 1367193582_thumb.pn

Rock time

Pic order:

1. Scubatoe left, 1Kstep center, Bikeslut over rocks

2. 1Kstep

3. Scubatoe

4. Axel

5. Bikeslut and 1Kstep sitting in shade, Axel in back, Scubatoe in front

6. Biker gang

post-15129-024120900 1367193748_thumb.pn

post-15129-034618800 1367193756_thumb.pn

post-15129-033955100 1367193765_thumb.pn

post-15129-040954600 1367193777_thumb.pn

post-15129-058829500 1367193787_thumb.pn

post-15129-063115800 1367193828_thumb.pn

Nice riding with all of you; of course today the 2 DRZs were the mechanical issues

Mine wouldn't start, and the fan only worked sometimes, which led me to bail unannounced; sorry bout that

Then, when Axel got back to the tree a steady stream of oil was falling out off his skid plate; so, we loaded up and took off.

I believe the temp gauge read hotter than it seemed. It WAS 90 but dry and with a breeze felt cooler

Everybody rode great; we'll see what kind of video I got; I tried to follow everybody at least once. Not sure if I was close enough though

Good ride!

Great meeting and riding with you guys. McCain Valley was awesome - I had a blast. I'll see if I can salvage any decent screenshots from my video.

Axel thinks it's just the side cover, not the case, so not huge $$$$

Pictures of that in a sec

Axel thinks it's just the side cover, not the case, so not huge $$$$

Pictures of that in a sec

Sweet, must cheaper and a do it yourself job too.

I forgot to mention that two Harley hogs rolled in to the staging area. Unfortunately they did not attempt climbing the rock slab. :blink:/>

And another SDAR came out to ride by herself. Any guesses on who that may have been? Hint, she's been out there are few times. She also mentioned TICKS. Word is, apparently there are ticks out there. So check yourself before leaving the lot.

No ticks were spotted this weekend (did see another big rattlesnake), but all those ticks last weekend made me develop a nervous tic. :unsure:

Thanks for putting the ride together logroller...what a great day...a little dusty and warm.

I have a bunch of video that *actually came out* which I will be posting tonight. There is probably an hour of it and since I like to ride far back from the person in front of me...much of it is scenery.

Great pics of us popping up the rock, Logroller...Axel is committed! His front end is at about 10:00.

Scubatoe...what is the trials video that you were mentioning?

Whos who 1K second.

Huh???

|

|

|

|

edit, pic list added.

Sorry I was talking about B.S. pic. Just a guess Log,1K ,Scub and Axel. But thanks for calling the other pics.

I have seen so many pics of people looking at GoPros to see if they on, we should should post a whole page, its pretty funny.

Ticks Oh Hell NO. They get in your hair, oh wait I don't have any hair, well not much. :lol:

which led me to bail unannounced; sorry bout that

this would have been the perfect time for a radio. Since we rode "according to the rules" we never got too separated but in the manzanita single-track if the other rider is 20 feet in front of you you still can't see them.

which led me to bail unannounced; sorry bout that

this would have been the perfect time for a radio. Since we rode "according to the rules" we never got too separated but in the manzanita single-track if the other rider is 20 feet in front of you you still can't see them.

You saying BikeSlut broke he own rules :big_boss:

I did...I was having mechanical issues

Overheating while waiting and no starter if I shut it down...I gave the universal "I'm heading back" sign to chad (pointed at myself, then pointed to the trucks...how could you not TOTALLY understand that?!?!)

I also figured, if they were to regroup, they would discuss, that I (bikeslut) would be a willing sacrifice to make if "somebody" had to die in the desert alone, better me than anyone else. Therefore, they wouldn't be traipsing around looking for me...

Seriously- I couldn't stop anymore and stay with the group...I had to keep moving, so I head back the quickest way I could think of....and the guys found a nice singletrack to challenge themselves on, which I probably could not have done anyway

Here's the video I was talking about.

Those guys sure talk funny, 5-6cms?

Here's the video I was talking about.

The OffRoadFanatic Youtube channel has a bunch of good videos, especially under the enduro riding section.

OffRoadRider15f also has a bunch of good instructional videos. These two talk about weighting the rear tire for climbs:

video

Another look into the GoPro. Got love it. Looks like you had fun. :coolio:

the weighted rear (seat bounce sit or trials style weight transfer standing) in technical stuff is the counterintuitive but the correct way to get through stuff. Most folks get hung up and rev and lift the bike----resulting in trench digging or wheelspin. Seat bounce and clutch just be ready for the machine to pop over and move forward, try to lead with legs/feet, dont get them stuck behind you and slide back on the seat. thats my commentary for the day.

Im no pro but ive ridden with lots of them. those viddys are on the money.

Or go a step further and just observe Jarvis, Knight, Letti, Graffunder, any of the top tier extremo guys and how they work through ugly stuff add thinking and processing the best route through the section as well, that too may be counterintuitive but may end up even easier than the beaten path. and Stand more.

So I've been keeping my arse on the saddle recently, on purpose, even when it's not always the best time to be seated. I'm not suggesting this technique necessarily to others, but that I've been doing it to gain better knowledge of how the bike reacts to my weight distribution being planted on different terrain/obstacles. For example, knowing the difference between good and bad execution. I don't exclusively practice sitting during an outing, because it can get you in trouble, cause more fatigue, or at the least slap your lower back with a vengeance. OoH, my kidneys.

Standing seems to help in so many ways when tackling trails like at McCain. I also try to stand when it really isn't needed and play around with balance and control using foot peg pressure, bar steering and what not. I guess the point I'm trying to make is all of us, pros included, need to push ourselves (technique) to try new and old things on every ride. Whether we're proficient at it or not. I know I'm not proficient at dirt riding and I will continue to practice, practice, practice, watch more tutorials, practice and look for advice from my fellow SDAR members.

Don't be shy to tell me a better line or technique. Teaching is not rude, it's empowering to those asking to be learned.

Yeah- we were discussing this during a rest break

It seems like I sit a lot too, but I always have a lot of weight on the pegs.

I've seen people that rail and seem to stand the whole time (isde and vic) and I've seen people almost exclusively sit and move along quite nicely too

Whoops are the one place you never want to be sitting...I keep slapping Axel around for that

Nice ride guys! Nice to ride with chad again and nice to meet roller and scuba- I really thought skill level and pace were nicely spread out

Bikeslut is that the same bike you were riding last week?