JohnnyAirtime

EVENT IDEAS - what would bring YOU to the event?

Ok folks...

I'm still unemployed, and need to decide whether I'm going to do a "Cancer-Ride For Life" event this year (they do cost money to have, and my priority is my mortgage - so, I need this event to pay for itself)

For lots and lots of reasons, I'm reaching out to you all to see what would LURE you in... to attend such an event. NOW, know that the event doesn't have to be a long dual-sport ride as it has been in the past (for Cancer-RideForLife.com). It could be a camp out, a one day poker run (with prizes for 1st-3rd), raffles, etc.etc. The possibilities are endless, but remember I have to accommodate many people and what they would feel as a "fun day". Oh and of course, it has to be legal and approved by local authorities. dry.gif

The main theme of the event, will be to raise money to benefit Children's Cancer Research and Treatment (we have not secured a charity to donate to as of yet). So... the event will need to be something you have to RSVP for, and send in a payment. That payment will cover things like the cost of your event shirt, and your donation to the cause. Of course, we'll be acquiring the prizes through sponsors of the event and will not be part of your entry fees.

My initial thought to make this easy on me (as charity work, is hard workicon1.png!) was to have a 2 day event. 1 day dedicated to dirt bikers and the 2nd day dedicated to off-roaders (Jeepicon1.png types) and/or Geocachers. With the ability for whomever to camp out at the event and if they desire to do both days.

Thoughts so far are;

- Desert (open) camping

- poker runs (with prizes for best hand, etc)

- fun GPS'd routes

- raffles at the end of each day

WHAT WOULD BRING YOU to an event, that requires you to PAY a minimal fee?!

... I'm listening!

See http://cancer-rideforlife.com/ for past event information, pictures, and amounts raised.

Well john now that things are settling down for me, i am committed to an evet such as this. To answer you:

Here is my ideas

Tickets, low $30 ea, high $100 ea

Themes, desert camp with several rides of various abilities over two days. Include a bbq. The bbq could be a pot luck or catered by a truck aka roach coach

Do a raffle. Sell raffle tickets and allow riders to earn them, by completing various rides, bringing in more riders etc...

The rides could be dual sport only, off road only, very technical, easy or a mix. The mix of your group can determine the ultimate routes.

Try to local shop involved, i can help with that.

Include a workshop for those who camp and get there early. The workshop can be on suspension setup, saftey gear first aid, gps, anuthing that ds riders will use.

Granted this is based on what we did for the "ma n ride" for stand up 2 cancer. Let me know what i can do.

Take care.

I'm thinking you would have a better overall turnout if you could include all the off road groups for the weekend, maybe just have separate rides for each group? A bbq dinner one night sounds like a winner. Maybe a movie or a band? Vendors? I would try a little harder to make it if there was a ride that took me somewhere I haven't been. I saw all the Jeeps heading out to the Tierra Del Sol thing, what did they do?

Thanks for the ideas thus far.....

Like I mentioned in short, I had planned on something like the following;

DAY 1 (Saturday - 2 wheel day)

Poker run for dirt bikes (a big loop of about 70-80 miles).

Poker Run Prizes for the 1st - 3rd place

Raffle at the end of the day (buy tickets that day)

T-Shirts for those who RSVP (via online payment - and donation)

DAY 2 (Sunday - 4 wheel day)

Geocache type poker run (requiring capable vehicles)

Poker Run Prizes for the 1st - 3rd place

Raffle at the end of the day (buy tickets that day)

T-Shirts for those who RSVP (via online payment - and donation)

Touching base on the ideas being tossed out there...

Let me add to them, so you can see where this is going;

Music (bands or entertainment)

This would be age or genre
dependent
. Not everyone likes Slim Whitman! LOL Plus, I'd have to pay them to setup in the middle of the desert, and get permits to do such an "event". I'm not thinking a live band type thing would work out too well. But as mentioned - maybe a movie... Like something from Bruce Brown (Baja 1000, Hare n Hound...etc) would work out well. I've got the projector and would need very little to set this up.

BBQ/Potluck/Catered/or?

Not sure I'd be willing to add a food menu. Unless a Roach Coach type truck wants to come out and sell food (on their own). Again, they'd need permits if it wasn't a simple BBQ or Potluck type thing. Sometimes it's just easier to let people fend for themselves and not have to do "food". Lots of different taste buds out there... And if it's as simple as a potluck, I've never really seen a bunch of moto-heads bring out a
casserole
or favorite dish before. Might be interesting!! I can imagine... lots of KFC buckets and CostCo party platters. LOL! I'll definitely think about it, and put it on the table (as a vendor type thing).

Various tracks/routes based on ability or vehicle

I didn't plan on doing a roll chart... or flag/stake off a coarse to follow. I would only provide Garmin GPS tracks. This limits my attendees, and even then some would have to buddy up to another using a GPS. Again, there comes rules governed by the BLM. And also... the fact I'd like to keep it open to ALL bikes. Not just a plated dual-sport bike. I could easily offer a couple routes with varied terrain based on plated bikes only, green sticker bikes only, and/or novice - advanced. But one's advanced route may not be to the "expert" type, or a novice route to me may not be elementary enough for a specific beginner/novice. I'm not too worried about the actual paths/coarse I'll make... but the reason for those to ride the path/coarse. ANYONE can go ride the desert.... I need to give them a reason. Hence the poker run idea. Same with 4 wheeled vehicles... make it a route, that must require a "capable" vehicle.

Sponsors

Of course I'll be getting as many sponsors as possible... for raffle prizes, and promoting the event. That's the norm, and goes without saying. This includes but doesn't limit to Moto Shops, Off-Road shops, Big Corporations, Mom-n-Pop shops...etc.etc.

Workshop

Hmmm... good idea. Maybe a workshop on using a GPS, or something that's "generalized". Something easily covered in 30min to an hour, to keep attention span and not let people drift off into space.

Vendors

I know permits are required for specific types of setups and sales. Just like the t-shirt people,or food vendors at Superstition on major weekends. They don't just pull-up and start selling. They are required by BLM to go through a process and obtain their permit(s). But I can surely offer for businesses or sellers to be a part of it, as long as they understand the BLM's rules. It'd be cool to have something like Husqvarna bring out bikes to test (or any manufacturer or shop/dealer). Or some clothing vendor or aftermarket parts vendor come out and pitch their products. Maybe even a shop who has a mobile service. I'll look into it, but no promises.

Keep those ideas coming... AGAIN, this is YOU... asking me, to provide for you.

Don't let my above comments sway your requests. Just know I'll try my best to give YOU a reason to join the fun.

Showing a motorcycle film is a fantastic idea! That would help influence most. Maybe I'm a bit baised, but having one or two local professional massage therapists available for 10-30 minute chair massages will only help bring more people. Trust me, it makes a big difference to get a little bodywork after a tough day of riding...even if it's just a few minutes on an aching shoulder or sore hands.

Feet up slow races. Tire change challenge. Team direction and distance challenge on bikes.

Thanks guys....

As of now, I've put the 2013 Cancer-Ride For Life Event on HOLD.

Sadly... I'm up to my ears, and need to make sure mortgage is paid first before putting on any "events".

I'll circle back on this for 2014, and look into all the ideas being posted.

I hope all is well on your ends, and that you all stay upright on 2 wheels!