Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

Newbe from the box (El Cajon)

Hello,

My name is Roger. I bought my 2008 KLR650 this month and thought I’d try to hang with you guys and learn to ride it. I’m 50 years old and have been licensed to ride for 31 years. I use to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid. Anybody remember when you could ride at Miramar, Santee and San Carlos? I quit dirt riding in my mid-twenties.

I still kept street riding over the years. I bought this bike because I want to ride Alaska and up to the Arctic Circle. I don’t think I want to use my Harley-Davidson for that (Might get it dirty :unsure: .)

Still breaking the KLR in. I’ve been out to Otay truck trail, Pine Valley, Bear Valley etc. Boy that thing doesn’t ride like I remember. I don’t seem to be able to throw it around like I use to with the other bikes. Might it weigh more then the old 125s?

Anyway back to school and learn all over again. I don’t expect to do motocross on this hog, but it rides in the dirt as well as the street and I’m happy. I’m old, but I’m not too old to learn. Any riding tips will be appreciated. I would like to learn how to ride the bike through Baja. Maybe I can tag along on a trip with some of you guys some day?

Anyone else ride the KLR650?

Welcome KLRoger :blink: I'm glad to see another east county rider here, we're in Jamul. There are lots of guys here ready to ride and happy to teach (or at least be patient while you leard by re-doing). Keep your eye on the Informal Local Rides section and you'll find lots of opportunity there.

Click THIS THREAD and think about joining us this Saturday.

There are also a bunch of KLR riders here. Hopefully one of them will chime-in :unsure:

Hi Roger, welcome to the insanity that is SDAR! The KLR 650 is a great bike for your planned ride to Alaska, I owned a KLR for a few years because I wanted to do rides like that but couldn't work it in due to life getting in the way. Somewhere down the road I'll be getting another KLR because I think it has great potential for long adveture rides. You are more than welcome to join us for the ride on Saturday, it's a fun loop that is pretty easy. I am working on convincing another KLR riding friend of mine to show up too.

See you on the trail.

I’m old, but I’m not too old to learn. Any riding tips will be appreciated. I would like to learn how to ride the bike through Baja. Maybe I can tag along on a trip with some of you guys some day?

Anyone else ride the KLR650?

Right off the top of my head, the only riding tip I can give you is not to let the KLR fall on your knee. See the thread in Open Discussion about orthopaedic surgeons.

I just got out of surgery to trim torn cartilage in my knee, but I should be back riding again in October. I'm hoping to do more Baja trips, and I think the KLR would get you around down there just fine. Hope you can join us.

Welcome Roger, lot's of east county riders out here. You can tag along anytime. :unsure:

Boy you guys are fast! I didn't expect to hear anything for a couple of days. I am sooo glad that the salesman trying to sell me the $10,000KTM at North County Yamaha told me about you guys. Other wise I'd be out putting around by myself. This has opened up a whole new world! (No I didn't buy the KTM, at that time I'd just bought the KLR). :blink: I have to work the weekend so I won't be able to go on the ride. :unsure: You can rest assured that I will be going on rides with you guys soon. Roger

Boy you guys are fast! I didn't expect to hear anything for a couple of days. I am sooo glad that the salesman trying to sell me the $10,000KTM at North County Yamaha told me about you guys. Other wise I'd be out putting around by myself. This has opened up a whole new world! (No I didn't buy the KTM, at that time I'd just bought the KLR). :lol: I have to work the weekend so I won't be able to go on the ride. :unsure: You can rest assured that I will be going on rides with you guys soon. Roger

great group of guys here... you do do a lot worse for riding buddies. and two ladies... :blink:

Did they fix the dohickey on the new KLRs? I had a KLR but I sold it to backhoedoc on this site - Good solid workhorse of a dualsport.

IMG_0070.jpg

Everything I’ve read says that this new make over has changed the dohicky. I have not opened it up to look yet, but I have no reason to doubt that they made the change. One problem I have read about is that the spring may be too long and it will go out of adjustment earlier. Again I have not opened it up so what do I know. Roger

Roger, welcome to the site. I don't have a KLR, but if I did I would call Mike at 619-261-1281 or email him at mikeb@leftcoastklrs.com

Here is a website you can check out also. http://www.leftcoastklrs.com/

The next KLR tech day in Julian is Oct. 20.

Do yourself a favor and call Mike before you take your bike to a dealer, (any dealer).

I look forward to riding with you. :unsure: Ken

Did they fix the dohickey on the new KLRs? I had a KLR but I sold it to backhoedoc on this site - Good solid workhorse of a dualsport.

IMG_0070.jpg

damn --- 205'd by Paul!

thanks Paul... I said the same on another page

Everything I’ve read says that this new make over has changed the dohicky. I have not opened it up to look yet, but I have no reason to doubt that they made the change. One problem I have read about is that the spring may be too long and it will go out of adjustment earlier. Again I have not opened it up so what do I know. Roger

kawasaki has denied that there is a problem for about 15 years... why would they fix a "non-problem"

I trust eagle mike completely... cheap fix on a bike that should last 100,000 miles...

08 doo job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replaced the doo last night in my 08 (here is the plug for Eagle Mnf.)

Yes, the part looks better, should last forever, BUT the damn thing had 2mm play on the shaft, both directions, and the spring had ZERO tension on it. Way too long.

Kawasaki tried, but didnt get it right.

Ok, while I'm on Kawasaki's ass, here is what else I have found on my 700 mile bike. Almost no grease at all in the susupension linkage, all 3 rear wheel bearings dry as a bone and scored with the 700 miles I rode them. (replaced with better quality anyway) one stripped out muffler mount nut, very little grease (vasoline?) on the steering head bearings and a front motor mount that was finger tight. I guess I can mention the dealer overtorqued the battery termanal and stripped the threads on the nut too.

I am going through the bike front to back lubing, torqing, locktighting everything. Which I generally do with everything I get anyway, but wanted to let others know, final assembly is a little inconsistant.

Anxious to get it back on the road/trails after all of my "other" mods that I've been working on for 2 months.

Blame John™

------------------- pasted from another site... I think we digress on the new member thread... by "we", I obviously mean "I"

Hey Roger welcome to the SDAR :unsure: . I also ride a KLR and just for starters if you plan on doing much dirt riding I would plan on replacing those new tires with 606 dunlaps' also I don"t know how well planted your feet are to the ground but for Me the bike was to high for my 5.8 height so I lowered the bike and it made all the diff. in my somewhat limited rideing abilities. Anyway welcome and learn what that bike will do and what it won"t. I live in Santee so we are practically neighbors good luck Brian or THE DOC.

Thanks for the advice 2Wheels. I’ll try my best to stay off my knees. :blink:

Joliet, I took your advice and called Mike. He sounds like a great guy. Doesn’t even know me, and he offered to loan me tools, work space and his first born son. :blink: I was a bit overwhelmed with his generosity and didn’t know what to say. I haven’t found many people like that before. I can already tell I’m going to really like this group.

Bikeslut, Thanks for the information. I’ve decided that I will do my own service. Guess I’d better break out the grease, locktite and wrenches. I think I will look to change out the “dohicky” and spring at the next Tech Day.

Backhoedoc, Thanks for the advice. I use to be 5’11 ¾’’, but the last time I was measured they told me I was now 5’10’. Momma never told me that I was going to shrink! :blink: I’m able to stand flatfooted after I get on the bike so my legs are the same size as they use to be. I guess I’m just losing my spine. Glad to hear that there is another KLR so close. I lived in Santee for several years. I even went to high school with one of your city councilmen. Santee is a beautiful place to live and it is a bit more temperate then El Cajon. Thanks for the advice about the tires. I think I will go with the Dunlaps 606 when I wear these out. (That’s unless I fall a lot on these tires. Then I might change out sooner.) I’m looking forward to learning what this bike will and will not do. I’ll be relying on guys like you to help me understand the bike. Roger

Rodger that !!!

I'm riding a 06' klr and I'm in el cajon !!! madison n magonila...... let me know when your ready to roll, and we can ride out from here if you want.

or if just want to make a short hop after work just to test or check something out PM me.

heres my photo link, so you'll get a feel of where we ride.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aklrrider/al...m/ph//my_photos

post a pic when you can.......... your the first one here to own a 08' klr, far as i know.

Blue, Red, Green, ???

you can steal a pic from here if you dont have one yet.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...c=1108&st=0

not sure how much these will help for you 08' but there my best info sites for the KLR'S

http://multisurfacemotorcycling.com/

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/

http://www.bigcee.com/klr650faq.html

Kaw'ee.

. ....................OH YA.............. WELCOME......................

assholexs1.gif