Sign in to follow this  
X-country-Rider

Places to ride and shoot

I like riding out to Rodriguez Canyon TT to do some shooting. Going to one spot to shoot is not ideal. I want to find several locations that would make fun rides on the Tiger 800 XC and maybe find a spot to pitch a tent and shoot near camp.

Fish Creek there are always shooters at the tracks.

I know a good shooting range / camp spot in the desert. There are already targets setup and the a big fire pit and surrounded by mountains on one side as a backstop. Its probably the best spot around but not many people know about it so PLEASE don't post it up on some shooting forum or other place where tons of people will see it. And take more trash home with you than you brought.

Take I8 east to ocotillo. Head north on S2 through the town of ocotillo for exactly 7 miles. There will be a boarder patrol check point. When you stop to talk to the boarder patrol, if you look to your left (west) there will be a dirt road right where they are standing. Tell them you are going down that dirt road, do a U turn and take that road for about half a mile and you will be at a great shooting and camping spot with lots of riding opportunity.

I know a good shooting range / camp spot in the desert. There are already targets setup and the a big fire pit and surrounded by mountains on one side as a backstop. Its probably the best spot around but not many people know about it so PLEASE don't post it up on some shooting forum or other place where tons of people will see it. And take more trash home with you than you brought.

Take I8 east to ocotillo. Head north on S2 through the town of ocotillo for exactly 7 miles. There will be a boarder patrol check point. When you stop to talk to the boarder patrol, if you look to your left (west) there will be a dirt road right where they are standing. Tell them you are going down that dirt road, do a U turn and take that road for about half a mile and you will be at a great shooting and camping spot with lots of riding opportunity.

Thanks that great info now just need to plan a trip out there in the next couple weekends.

Thanks that great info now just need to plan a trip out there in the next couple weekends.

map actually shows more like 8 miles north of ocotillo. the dirt road runs straight south from S2 for just less than a mile to the shooting range.

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=32.78952,-116.10328&hl=en&ll=32.789421,-116.103312&spn=0.005222,0.010568&sll=32.7886,-116.100254&sspn=0.005222,0.010568&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=17&layer=c&cbll=32.789263,-116.103112&panoid=j9sfO2on3m_b03cv_QESJg&cbp=12,212.43,,0,10.32

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=32.78952,-116.10328&hl=en&ll=32.777283,-116.101558&spn=0.001306,0.002642&sll=32.7886,-116.100254&sspn=0.005222,0.010568&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=17&z=19

if you go for the weekend of the 23rd or 24th i will go out there. I got a bunch of 44magnum to go plinking with. its cheaper than 5.56mm ammo these days. :)

PS, you don't need an AR15, buy a shotgun.

There are sevel places that are MUCH closer on the 94.

Its probably the best spot around but not many people know about it so PLEASE don't post it up on some shooting forum or other place where tons of people will see it. And take more trash home with you than you brought.

Spaugh,

all good points. Keep in mind this is close to the State Park Boundry. So KNOW where you are in relation.

Maybe move this to members section or better yet PMs.

And Steelrain, could you send me a PM with areas closer than Imperial Valley, it would be much appreciated.

Xcountry, PM sent.

S

I would be up for a Scoot n Shoot after the gun show.

????

What kind of yardage can i expect to be able to shoot out to? I'm building a 6.5mm Grendel with Dakota as a father son project for his hunting rifle. He gets his license in May and gets to put his rifle together the same day. Hes going to actually build it with obvious help from me if he needs it. The Grendel is a long range type modern rifle and would love to start him shooting it out to a few hundred yards. We've got most of the pieces that are hard to find just waiting for the lower to come.

63952_10151473835954520_1177487259_n.jpg

Thats great you and your son can enjoy your right to bear arms together. I started shooting as a kid on my Grandpa's farm. Still do go shooting occasionally (dirt bikes are more fun though). Kids are probably be a lot better off learning respect for firearms and enjoying the outdoors with their fathers than learning about guns by sitting on the couch and blowing peoples' brains out on some video game. Also, dad's can teach Jr. how to pick up after themselves in order to keep the public land open.

The place I mentioned before is 200 yards max. Def over 100 but 200 is about it.

There is another spot south of I8 on the southwest corner of the yuha desert called crucifix thorn that you can shoot at. That one more people know about but its a lot bigger and the range is really long. You can probably shoot 3 or 4 hundred yards there.

From Interstate 8, take the Ocotillo exit.

Proceed south to the stop sign at the intersection of Highway S2 and Highway 98.

Turn left (east) on Highway 98.

After approximately eight miles, turn right on Coyote 2.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=32.658625,-115.924151&spn=0.00523,0.010568&t=h&z=17

As far as making the thread private, probably not necessary, these places are on BLM land and are legal to shoot on. The first one is right up against the park boundary but it is BLM. Plus maybe someone will read this and think twice about leaving their trash.

May as well enjoy it responsibly while you can can IMO. Here is what BLM has to say about it:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro/recreation/shooting.html

Have fun.

Thats great you and your son can enjoy your right to bear arms together. I started shooting as a kid on my Grandpa's farm. Still do go shooting occasionally (dirt bikes are more fun though). Kids are probably be a lot better off learning respect for firearms and enjoying the outdoors with their fathers than learning about guns by sitting on the couch and blowing peoples' brains out on some video game. Also, dad's can teach Jr. how to pick up after themselves in order to keep the public land open.

Dakotas been shooting with me and learning gun safety since he was 6 and yea no violent video games in this house.