Bagstr

Tire Secrets Revealed

Wildly different profile. Should be interesting to see If this thing sticks on the rocky trash climb. Obviously better leaned over, which has been an Issue for me. dry.gif

DSCN01911000w-L.jpg

That trials tire still has ~1K miles left in it :rolleyes:/> :coolio:/> :D/>

1K WHAAAAAAAAT???!!!!!!!!

I'd drop another 6 grand on that thing! My tire gets Bob Hope kinds of miles on 'em!

Old wise-man once told me the knobby tire is built for dirt displacement. The more spread out your knobbies are...the more dirt you will displace thus giving you less traction.

The trials tires are very soft compound with the knobbies very close together.

For me I need some slipping (displacement of dirt) in the desert with the sand etc. That is why the Maxxis Desert IT is my favorite knob tire. Knobbies are closer together than other tires and soft enough compound.

Trials tires for mountain riding...need the traction more.

But, all depends on the bike. My XR650R which is much heavier runs much better on a Dunlop 606. That bike would chunk up the Maxxis.

If I were to put the 606 on my 500EXC or alike....I would hate it as it will get "blown away" with my style of riding. Not enough traction. Hard compound and knobbies are spread further.

Run what you brung!

Remember HD tubes and 10psi. And no more than 12 in that DOT/FIM enduro comp tire. (for offroad use).

note from crusty post- The M403/404 combo is what just about all my crew swears by for do all rubber (I am off the main course I guess).

the dunlop MX51 set is another fave (non-dot mx types)

and this goes for all tire choices if you wanna raise the smooth chassis bar higher, balance your wheels, those rim locks throw a big wieght on one side of the rim.

Guest Crusty

the dunlop MX51 set is another fave (non-dot mx types)

I would advise people to stay away from the MX 51 front tire it washes out at speed.

Learned this first hand at Big Bear!!

Lots of threads about this, I read some on Pro Ride and Googled this one.

http://www.thumperta...x51-front-tire/

From Pro Ride tread.

Mx51 front is like a racing slick on the dirt icon_eek.gif Nothing like a 756 front tire used to be.

I have an MX31 in the front for the track and an MX51 in the rear.

I REALLY like the MX71 front and rear for off road, they work good and hold up well. The MX51 front is a FLOP.... Terrible tire !

Been awhile but I remember the mx51 front

Put it on right when it came out and at that time it was getting some praise

Hated it 5 turns into first practice Sesh

I run a MX51 in the rear, as it hooks up quite well and seems to last longer than the 404. For the front, however, I agree with everyone else; the 403 is tops.