I might actually put this one on my calendar in ink.

This should be good, using the qualifier from 2011 as guidance, you might get to 3rd gear for 10 seconds all day.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56626

Matt I saw those teaser notes!! Yes this is on my agenda and written in. Time keeper dope/fool/idiot that I am- no matter I'm in it for the epic trails that we can ride up at the Ranch for this race!! Burn checks who cares-late in who cares.....that trail system is too good to pass up!! RN

and if it rains..... or snows(again) that'll really raise the love challenge level.

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?p=678936#post678936

WEPG steps up to get the Prospectors MC, Anza enduro back on the WestChec agenda (it was cancelled).

This is great news for us fans of tight and twisty "Eastern" style enduros.

Although I'm not a timekeeper guy (dumb,inattentive,uncaring etc etc).

I am in for this for the epic trail system layed out up at the Ranch at Anza!! Early-Late who cares just let us loose on that twisty single track.

(IMHO One of the best ever enduros (qualifier type) locally was at this location during the same time as the Husky NA dealer demo day in Sep 2011)

http://www.theranchanzaca.com/

http://prospectorsmc.org/

This crew member expects to see a good contingent of SDAR members at this event.....

good news. i was bummed when you said the cancelled it.

Even though it's a timekeeper I would do this for the great trails but unfortunately I already have an out of town commitment that weekend but you guys and gals have fun out there, should be a blast.

I've been wanting to try one of these and this one is close to home, so I'm in. Only issue is I've read the rules for this type of event more than once and have to admit I'm a little lost. Would it be possible to get a quick 101 for a first timer? I don't understand the resets and why the mileage has to be within 1/10. I understand it helps for timing but do they check it to confirm? Looking forward to trying something new. Just want to understand what I'm doing out there.

I

Thanks.

I've been wanting to try one of these and this one is close to home, so I'm in. Only issue is I've read the rules for this type of event more than once and have to admit I'm a little lost. Would it be possible to get a quick 101 for a first timer? I don't understand the resets and why the mileage has to be within 1/10. I understand it helps for timing but do they check it to confirm? Looking forward to trying something new. Just want to understand what I'm doing out there.

I

Thanks.

I don't think any of us know the rules either. I don't have a speedo on my bike, hope that is not a requirement. check out the d37 forums for more info. If you want you can line up with me. I'll probably sign up as a vet C lightweights if they get to do the whole course otherwise will sign as vet B. you need an AMA membership and most likely a d37 (they take d38) license as well to sign up.

A lot of the events will have a Saturday family day where there is no points. It's basically a dry run for timekeeping.

I soooo want to do this. I absolutely love the Ranch. But, Sunday I have a race series ending. Maybe Saturday.

Go to the WestChec site there are tutorials and all the rules for each type of enduro. FYI the intent of timekeepers is the game, playing the game correctly. That means that a rank ammie rider can beat a top tier pro if he's a better timekeeper, but on the other side the times between checks are mostly based upon a fast guy (old rules were 24mph avg), so for all things even most of us will be behind the clock anyway on those sections.

PS I have no motivation to learn about the ins and outs and to go buy a computer for riding trails, just get out and do this thing, line up ride it the trail system will be amazing (it has been in the past). make sure you are plush suspended, your bike turns well and you have good handguards its a manzanita jungle back there.

http://ridechec.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=29

You will only need to be AMA member. I've never been asked about district membership at any of the WestChec or Nat H&Hs

PS may do the Red Mountain Nat H&H in couple weeks,,,,anyone??

I don't think any of us know the rules either. I don't have a speedo on my bike, hope that is not a requirement. check out the d37 forums for more info. If you want you can line up with me. I'll probably sign up as a vet C lightweights if they get to do the whole course otherwise will sign as vet B. you need an AMA membership and most likely a d37 (they take d38) license as well to sign up.

Perfect! Sounds like I will fit right in. If we need to sign up as a group/time slot, count me in. Looking forward to it.

Go to the WestChec site there are tutorials and all the rules for each type of enduro. FYI the intent of timekeepers is the game, playing the game correctly. That means that a rank ammie rider can beat a top tier pro if he's a better timekeeper, but on the other side the times between checks are mostly based upon a fast guy (old rules were 24mph avg), so for all things even most of us will be behind the clock anyway on those sections.

PS I have no motivation to learn about the ins and outs and to go buy a computer for riding trails, just get out and do this thing, line up ride it the trail system will be amazing (it has been in the past). make sure you are plush suspended, your bike turns well and you have good handguards its a manzanita jungle back there.

http://ridechec.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=29

You will only need to be AMA member. I've never been asked about district membership at any of the WestChec or Nat H&Hs

PS may do the Red Mountain Nat H&H in couple weeks,,,,anyone??

Start another thread for the h&h, i would be interrested if you go for the day.

I don't think any of us know the rules either. I don't have a speedo on my bike, hope that is not a requirement.

You are hurting my feelings, Brad. I set up an enduro for 10 years and damn near have the rulebook memorized. This does not make me immune from mistakes....

Before my time, there were no rollcharts, and all speed averages were posted on the course and the timekeeping had to be done in your head. The rule that even makes this remotely possible is "checks can only be where a whole tenth of a mile falls on a whole minute". All the averages can be computed by moving the decimal place to give that many miles in 6 minutes, i.e. 24mph - 2.4 miles/6 minutes. This can be divided down to .4 miles/minute. So starting from 0 at 24 mph (and ignoring the fact that a check can't be within 3 miles of the start):

time- _ mileage

0:00_ _ 0.0

0:01_ _ 0.4 a check could be at 0.4 miles from the start, but not between 0 and .4

0:02_ _ 0.8

0:03_ _ 1.2

0:04_ _ 1.6

0:05_ _ 2.0

0:06_ _ 2.4

0:07_ _ 2.8

0:08_ _ 3.2

0:09_ _ 3.6

etc.

So, if you were to start at 8:00, and since there can't be a check for 3 miles, you would take off and ride as fast as you wished to the 2.9 mile marker, and adjust your odometer to 2.9. Since there can't be a check until 3.2, you would ride until 3.05 miles (you don't want to roll into the check early) and wait until 8:08. At that point, you would take off and either run into the check (if it is there) or ride until 3.45 miles, wait until 8:09, take off, repeat, etc.

Any whole MPH number can be used for an average, so lets look at 20MPH:

0:00_ _ 0.00000

0:01_ _ 0.33333 Not a whole tenth= no check

0:02_ _ 0.66667 Not a whole tenth= no check

0:03_ _ 1.00000 whole tenth on whole minute- possible check

0:04_ _ 1.33333

0:05_ _ 1.66667

0:06_ _ 2.00000

0:07_ _ 2.33333

0:08_ _ 2.66667

0:09_ _ 3.00000

So you would ride with the same strategy as 24, but now possible check locations are 1 mile apart, and every 3 minutes. Also note that 20MPH= 2.0 miles/6 minutes, and can be further divided down to 1.0 miles/3 minutes, but no further. 21MPH = 0.7 miles/2 minutes.

Also, speed average changes are subject to the same restrictions as checks, i.e, whole tenth on a whole minute, again, to make the math easy (really). So, using our 24 mph example, a speed change could occur at 1.6, 2.0, or 2.4, but not at any of the mileages in between. This way, the mileage and time will always be synched up, i.e, you can't run 20 MPH for 1 minute and then switch to 24 MPH for the next 20 miles and not have any place for a legal check.

So simple, even a dumb dirt biker could do it.

The advent of rollcharts and computers have de-emphasized the math-in-the-head-while-riding aspect, and emphasized strategy and speed. I have done a couple of enduros old style, though, and doing the math is a lot easier when you are on time. While the concept has always been that speed is not the determining factor, the reality has always been that the guys that win are always fast.

When I was working out the schedule for our enduro, I used lots of 19 mph and 23 mph. A 100 mile enduro would only have 30 possible locations for checkpoints.

HTH

unless you are me (dumber dirt biker).... this race is on my agenda pending any interferences.

unless you are me (dumber dirt biker).... this race is on my agenda pending any interferences.

I was thinking the same thing! I guess we can all follow the "smart" rider like a bunch of sheep. Hopefully he doesn't go off a cliff! ;)

AT,

No issue there's nothing dangerous up there, just have your hand guards in working order and your bike in good turning order.

AT,

No issue there's nothing dangerous up there, just have your hand guards in working order and your bike in good turning order.

Thanks. no worries here. Just joking around.

AT,

and don't try and follow ISDE, you won't be able to keep up.

News from Erek at WestChec

ROUND 3 SET UP AND READY TO GO!!! The Infamous Snow race is back! This time, if the weather holds up you will get to see everything that Anza has to offer! Even if it snows the race organizers have assured us that the event will go on, in full, no matter what!

This year we have 55 Miles of super tight and technical single track, a moto test, and some gnarly 3rd loop rocks and waterfalls all set up for you! Make sure to be there.

Pre Entry Opens 2/10/13 go to www.ridechec.com for more information as it comes in...

MAKE SURE TO WEAR GREEN FOR ST. PATTIES DAY!!! (by some stroke of coincidence my alt set of AXO gear is green)

I was watching some videos of the previous year in the snow. That would be an adventure! Terrain seems similar to the Soboba ride, which was a blast last year. Looking forward to it!

When I sign up, do I need to reference a special time slot for SDAR or just sign up?

Thank you!

Wait and post back here once signups are open and we can sign together and request the same minute. People who want to line up together need to sign up at the same time so they dont have to go back and reorder everyone.

What is your skill level by the way? It looks like vet C can do all the course so I'm not sure if I want to do B or C.

The flyer also says D37 and AMA membership required. I know Robert said just AMA but I was asked for D37 or D38 last time so you may be required to have both of those and it says they are available at signups.

8451913134_d718a83956_b.jpg

Right now I'm probably a C rider. B would be pushing it. I would rather ride the C class since they get to do the whole course and it's just a fun ride for me.

If you would rather ride B, then feel free. I appreciate the offer to join you, but by all means, don't feel obligated. I'll be just fine out there.

Thank you!

No issue to ride on the same minute no matter what the skill level is, who is faster just goes ahead, it spreads us out faster that way anyway. I want ISDE on my minute so we can key off him....basically never pass him and you'll be fine. I will contact him today 4 per minute I'll ask Matt if he is ok with us 3 spodes (hahaha) on his minute.

Just talked to Matt he is ok and good for go on his minute wait a bit for row assignments (sign up) we dont want to break trail on this one, row 10 and back but not too far back or the trail get too hacked. I'm thinking next week or after the tractor race to sign up. But, As long as you let Erek know who will be on your row I'm sure he is OK with a hold on that minute.

AMA is all you should need, there are guys coming from all over the SW from many districts they cant all join all the Ds for races out of their D. Ive done a bunch of D38 and D37 races and never had to have a D card AMA life member is all I have.

PS no sand bagging Brad you're a solid Nat B intermediate offroader!! and note technically what ever the highest level you have raced in any AMA event is where you need to sign (AMA rule as far as I remember) expert flat tracker=expert MX=expert H&H for example.

I was watching some videos of the previous year in the snow. That would be an adventure! Terrain seems similar to the Soboba ride, which was a blast last year. Looking forward to it!

When I sign up, do I need to reference a special time slot for SDAR or just sign up?

Thank you!

same basic terrain as mccain, as tecate, as soboba. same basic altitude, high dez environment in a north south line

Here ya go AATA last years event...it was a real adventure (short but amazing)

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/robertaccio/2012%20MAR%2018%20Anza%20Enduro/?albumview=slideshow

i thought A riders could line up on a B line but not vice versa. I would think putting B and C riders on an A line would just piss off the A riders behind them no?

Format change- It is going to be a Qualifier.

A riders can ride on C minutes, but not the other way around. I have my reasons for wanting to ride on an A minute. Since it is no longer a timekeeper, I am going to figure you guys are good to go.

Cool, did you catch that AATA? No time keeping, just go as fast as you can. I will line up on C minute with you and my wife if you want but i may be a B rider( makes no diff to you). But i want to sign up the day they open sign ups if i do that so we are the first C minute to go. Sound good? Confused yet :)

Robert are you an A or B for this one?