Spaugh

Another Tire Thread

I still need to get an MT43 to try over here, used one for a race in UK 2 years ago where only rear trials tyres were allowed and was better than I expected even in sand.

Racing enduros in UK we have to use FIM spec tyres and michelin are best IMO, metzeler next, fronts work very good, rear depends on terrain, sand and mud and on cambers the enduro tyres are a disadvantage and they wear out quick with less depth, and the latest Michelin comp V front I tried in a race last year was a disaster in the mud.

For over here I like the Dunlop MX51's for all around performance in normal hard to intermediate terrain and michelin S12 for soft / mud when we get get it, actually S12's work well everywhere except on dry rocks on rear where the compound is hard so they spin up easy (on my 300/450/530). Not tried everything but I'm ok with this, many don't like MX51 fronts especially but for me they work OK, even today at McCain in the rain they weren't bad, far from ideal though.

Yes I'm a big mousse fan, overly expensive for sure but I'm a minimalistic guy and hate carrying spare tube and tyre levers and pump for no reason, and so good to slam into a square edged rock step without thinking about it.

I still need to get an MT43 to try over here, used one for a race in UK 2 years ago where only rear trials tyres were allowed and was better than I expected even in sand.

Racing enduros in UK we have to use FIM spec tyres and michelin are best IMO, metzeler next, fronts work very good, rear depends on terrain, sand and mud and on cambers the enduro tyres are a disadvantage and they wear out quick with less depth, and the latest Michelin comp V front I tried in a race last year was a disaster in the mud.

For over here I like the Dunlop MX51's for all around performance in normal hard to intermediate terrain and michelin S12 for soft / mud when we get get it, actually S12's work well everywhere except on dry rocks on rear where the compound is hard so they spin up easy (on my 300/450/530). Not tried everything but I'm ok with this, many don't like MX51 fronts especially but for me they work OK, even today at McCain in the rain they weren't bad, far from ideal though.

Yes I'm a big mousse fan, overly expensive for sure but I'm a minimalistic guy and hate carrying spare tube and tyre levers and pump for no reason, and so good to slam into a square edged rock step without thinking about it.

MX51 is a pretty good all around tire IMO. I've read the complaints about the fronts and disagree. They hold up well and for dirt like mccain or desert where its a loose, they bite really well and are also OK in rocks. MX51, maxxis IT, D403/404 or any intermediates work pretty well around here.

I did some soul searching for my choice of FIM rubber, If I had my choice I would still go with, Metz Mich,Pir and give GT a shot as well but not in that order. I use the Pirellis because they are easy to get here and are relatively inexpensive.

After giving some real thought about what you get and where the engineering of any of these FIM comp tires comes from.....conclusion they are designed to last 1 day of FIM/WEC racing, so they need to give the most and widest variety of terrain best use for one day only. Think about it all the pro teams are required to use them, Beta team uses Pirelli, Husky uses Mich, KTM farioli uses Mich, some teams use Metz. All of them ride the crap out of them for a day and toss them. I think they are engineered to give the most for one friggan day......my pirellis are quite soft compound with lots of sidewall flex and do wear fairly fast .

PS Dirt Rider has a good DOT legal tire article that has all 3 of the major FIM spec brands compared with some of their other DOT models included as well.

Motoworld has a 140/18 Pirelli Scorpion Pro coming in today at a price of $90 plus tax. That will be a one day delivery.

It will be an interesting comparo with the MT43 I have been running for awhile. I am looking for Better performance with

the bike leaned over, while maintaining the good traction in loose rocky garbage. We will see! The 43 doesn't get great

mileage, but a bunch better than one day.

Makes a consumer wonder when a good quality tube costs over 1/3 the price of a tire. I have a hard time re-using a tube

but geese, thinking it over.

B

Motoworld has a 140/18 Pirelli Scorpion Pro coming in today at a price of $90 plus tax. That will be a one day delivery.

It will be an interesting comparo with the MT43 I have been running for awhile. I am looking for Better performance with

the bike leaned over, while maintaining the good traction in loose rocky garbage. We will see! The 43 doesn't get great

mileage, but a bunch better than one day.

Makes a consumer wonder when a good quality tube costs over 1/3 the price of a tire. I have a hard time re-using a tube

but geese, thinking it over.

B

i reuse the tubes for 2 - 3 tires. Just look at the valve stem for excessive rust and make the call.

still haven't decided on a moab tire...

I did some soul searching for my choice of FIM rubber, If I had my choice I would still go with, Metz Mich,Pir and give GT a shot as well but not in that order. I use the Pirellis because they are easy to get here and are relatively inexpensive.

After giving some real thought about what you get and where the engineering of any of these FIM comp tires comes from.....conclusion they are designed to last 1 day of FIM/WEC racing, so they need to give the most and widest variety of terrain best use for one day only. Think about it all the pro teams are required to use them, Beta team uses Pirelli, Husky uses Mich, KTM farioli uses Mich, some teams use Metz. All of them ride the crap out of them for a day and toss them. I think they are engineered to give the most for one friggan day......my pirellis are quite soft compound with lots of sidewall flex and do wear fairly fast .

PS Dirt Rider has a good DOT legal tire article that has all 3 of the major FIM spec brands compared with some of their other DOT models included as well.

Well put Rob, in UK for enduros where we have to use FIM spec enduro tires most competitive racers will use a new tire then turn it once then toss it. For hare scrambles / non FIM events where we can use MX tires we can get 4 races, new, turn, cut, turn and cut. Buts thats mostly riding in muddy conditions where grip is paramount.