Sign in to follow this  
danrider

Help on a Adventure Bike

I have my dual-sport bike and that Is my EXC500, and love it. I ride a BMW 1150 RT for the Road and it has been a great bike for my trips for years. I have decided that this year I am going to sell the RT and get a adventure bike because it will give me more options when I take my road trips, I am even thinking of trying camping when I go on my Canada trip this summer. I have looked at the BMW, Triumph, and the KTM. I am not so concerned about the weight on this bike because of my EXC and what I use that bike for. I am looking for comfort for long rides but still good handling on the open dirt road. I can test drive any BMW bike without any problem and BMW will let me take either a GS 800 or an Adventure 1200 for a day. But I am hearing a lot about the new Triumph Tiger Explorer shaft-drive bike. I already know the KTM 990 is a animal but do not feel I would ever ride that bike to its full capabilities. I am going to put in order what is most important to me on what I am looking for below and any input from you big bike owners would be greatly appreciated. Any good reviews or links I should consider would also help. I am going to pull the trigger on this soon.

1. Comfort and Handling

2. Dependability

3, Low Maintenance

4. Features

5. price

I have my dual-sport bike and that Is my EXC500, and love it. I ride a BMW 1150 RT for the Road and it has been a great bike for my trips for years. I have decided that this year I am going to sell the RT and get a adventure bike because it will give me more options when I take my road trips, I am even thinking of trying camping when I go on my Canada trip this summer. I have looked at the BMW, Triumph, and the KTM. I am not so concerned about the weight on this bike because of my EXC and what I use that bike for. I am looking for comfort for long rides but still good handling on the open dirt road. I can test drive any BMW bike without any problem and BMW will let me take either a GS 800 or an Adventure 1200 for a day. But I am hearing a lot about the new Triumph Tiger Explorer shaft-drive bike. I already know the KTM 990 is a animal but do not feel I would ever ride that bike to its full capabilities. I am going to put in order what is most important to me on what I am looking for below and any input from you big bike owners would be greatly appreciated. Any good reviews or links I should consider would also help. I am going to pull the trigger on this soon.

1. Comfort and Handling

2. Dependability

3, Low Maintenance

4. Features

5. price

All your criteria to me point to a Tiger800XC. For comfort on long trips though would require a seat upgrade but that still puts you way under the prices of any of the 1200's. I've gotten 33 thousand miles on mine and i can say its really dependable. I did a review of my experiences at 25K here http://socal-overlander.blogspot.com/2012/09/triumph-tiger-800-xc-25k-review.html. They are starting to show up on the used market as well so you may find one cheaper. You should call Rocket Motorcycles and see what they could offer you for there 2011 demo bike. You can also come up here to Pine valley and take mine for a little spin.

Try to ride them all-you will know when one feels right. Used GS 1200 ? If you are going to hit dirt then you need to start thinking about tires -supension ect.

I love the big KTM, the small one is pissing me off.

IMGP5417.jpg

Self maintenance can be challenging for the inexperienced. To change the oil you have to remove the skid plate, glove box and left fuel tank. Adjusting valves requires more removal. The payoff, on the street it is like a sport bike with knobbies, in the dirt it is like a dirt bike on steroids.

My 2 cents :coolio:/>/>

What ever your choice, the beast will need to be adjusted to you. Seat height comfort and extras depend on how you will use it. 1150 RT is close to the GS series, if you are diehard BMW fan.

Up to a certain year, 2009?, maintenance on the 1200GS was very simple.

I don't know what maintenance is like on them, but for dependability have you considered the Yamaha Super Tenere? All my friends that have them, REALLY like them.

I was at NCY today and looked at the Tiger Triumph 800 and the 1200 I sat on both and I liked the way the 1200 Triumph felt even though it is just a bit heaver, I all so saw the Yamaha Supper Tenere and put my leg over it two and it felt nice. I am hoping that I can ride everyone of them for a couple of hours and decided on which one I will buy. I am not a diehard BMW guy, but I do say my RT is one smooth turing bike on the road, and I do not feel tired after a long ride.

Up to a certain year, 2009?, maintenance on the 1200GS was very simple.

I don't know what maintenance is like on them, but for dependability have you considered the Yamaha Super Tenere? All my friends that have them, REALLY like them.

I have never ridden the big KTM, and I am hoping that Motorworld will let me try one out for about a half day. They have a used one for sale in the shop now. I have been a KTM owner for over ten years and love the dirt bikes they make. I am not ruling the 990 out. Do most of my maintenance on the BMW and KTM know.

I love the big KTM, the small one is pissing me off.

IMGP5417.jpg

Self maintenance can be challenging for the inexperienced. To change the oil you have to remove the skid plate, glove box and left fuel tank. Adjusting valves requires more removal. The payoff, on the street it is like a sport bike with knobbies, in the dirt it is like a dirt bike on steroids.

My 2 cents coolio.gif/>/>

What ever your choice, the beast will need to be adjusted to you. Seat height comfort and extras depend on how you will use it. 1150 RT is close to the GS series, if you are diehard BMW fan.

I have read your post on the other sight sounds like a great bike. I have to tell you that when I was in NCY today and put my leg over the Tiger 1200 XC it felt great and It fit me just right. Does the place in San Diego let you demo the bike because NCY will not let you demo.

1. Comfort and Handling

2. Dependability

3, Low Maintenance

4. Features

5. price

All your criteria to me point to a Tiger800XC. For comfort on long trips though would require a seat upgrade but that still puts you way under the prices of any of the 1200's. I've gotten 33 thousand miles on mine and i can say its really dependable. I did a review of my experiences at 25K here http://socal-overlan...5k-review.html. They are starting to show up on the used market as well so you may find one cheaper. You should call Rocket Motorcycles and see what they could offer you for there 2011 demo bike. You can also come up here to Pine valley and take mine for a little spin.

Ken I talked to you about the GS 800 and remember your advice about the bike, will give you a call and talk in more detail.

Try to ride them all-you will know when one feels right. Used GS 1200 ? If you are going to hit dirt then you need to start thinking about tires -supension ect.

The payoff, on the street it is like a sport bike with knobbies, in the dirt it is like a dirt bike on steroids.

+1

I'm not sure if they have a demo or not. The Tiger 1200XC comes out this spring that is more offroad oriented. The regular tiger 1200 explorer out now of course is a roadie adventure bike. Changing the oil on the Tiger 800 XC is way easy. Takes just a few minutes no reason to take it in for that. The literature says valve adjustments every 12 thousand but the tech told me to do it at 18,000 intervals. Like i say if you want to take it for a spin PM me.

Thanks I will do that. But the 1200 I sat on today at NCY felt great. It looks like a beast but when you sit on it it feels great. I will call that shop you mentioned and ask them if they have a demo on the 1200. This bike will be for more road than dirt. The dirt I would go down would be mostly fire and forest roads. I am a older guy who could not really mussel a big bike for a long period of time. I just want the option when I riding my long trips to be able to say " lets go down this road"!

Thanks I will do that. But the 1200 I sat on today at NCY felt great. It looks like a beast but when you sit on it it feels great. I will call that shop you mentioned and ask them if they have a demo on the 1200. This bike will be for more road than dirt. The dirt I would go down would be mostly fire and forest roads. I am a older guy who could not really mussel a big bike for a long period of time. I just want the option when I riding my long trips to be able to say " lets go down this road"!

Well the 1200 will certainly work for that. Its was the Adventure Bike of the year and has cruise control :)

You may want to try South Bay Motorsports down in Chula Vista. I was able to test ride an 800XC before I bought one where NCY didn't have an XC for demo. I think SBM have a larger selection of bikes and have a few more demo bikes.

Or take Xcountryrider up on his offer

Bryan

Thanks for the info.

You may want to try South Bay Motorsports down in Chula Vista. I was able to test ride an 800XC before I bought one where NCY didn't have an XC for demo. I think SBM have a larger selection of bikes and have a few more demo bikes.

Or take Xcountryrider up on his offer

Bryan

You can't go wrong with any of those bikes. Any of them will complement your EXC nicely. If you really like the boxer motor, take a long ride on a R1200GS, 07 to 09 were the best years in my opinion. It's a great handling street bike, extremely comfortable, and easy to maintain. I've spent a couple days on one.

I owned a Tiger 1050 and I loved the triple engine - so much fun! I have ridden the Tiger 800XC and thought it was comparable to the 800GS I owned, only it has a smoother engine.

The Tiger 1200 will be the best sport touring bike of any of these. Heroic motor, super comfy. But I would not tackle anything more than a graded gravel road on that bike.

The most off road capable of any of these is the 990. And it doesn't give up much on the street. In fact, the new ones with the super duke motor haul ass, are smooth to over 100 mph, and can keep up with most pure sport touring bikes. And after that, you can take it deep offroad, if you are brave enough. It is way more capable than most realize.

After years of riding big bikes the 990R is my current choice, and it's the most fun and capable big bike I've ever owned. But I like them all. Good luck.

If you want to hit the dirt and enjoy it I would go KTM. If Triumph comes out with the 1200XC this year that would be a pretty nice bike for light dirt and heavy street. If KTM ever brings the 1190 Adventure here (maybe next year) then that would be worth a hard look. Seems KTM is dumping 990's on the American market to clear the way for the 1190 here next year and I would think you could get a pretty good deal on one....and love it. If they would bring back the 950 Super Enduro ....well never mind.

http://www.ktm.com/u...ml#.UOR2gm9ZUew

If you want to hit the dirt and enjoy it I would go KTM. If Triumph comes out with the 1200XC this year that would be a pretty nice bike for light dirt and heavy street. If KTM ever brings the 1190 Adventure here (maybe next year) then that would be worth a hard look. Seems KTM is dumping 990's on the American market to clear the way for the 1190 here next year and I would think you could get a pretty good deal on one....and love it. If they would bring back the 950 Super Enduro ....well never mind.

http://www.ktm.com/u...ml#.UOR2gm9ZUew

Lots of good advice here. Ride several and pic the one that you love. You'll be riding it not us :)/>

Heres a used Tiger 1200 for 13,000. Its bareky broken in with 4,700 miles on it so basically almost brand new. 4,700 isn't crap.

105190634_1thumb_550x410.jpg