Bikeslut, Chickenheart, Crawdaddy and I spent this morning screwing around on Otay Mt. We met at the Thousand Trails Campground and went up and over the mountain to enjoy the views and explore all the little spur roads and international hiking trails our bikes could get us down. I tried to introduce them all to El Chupacabra, but unfortunately he was not in. :D

We stopped at the bunkers and wondered WTH they did there. Anywho, after leaving the bunkers we met a nice Border Patrol agent that indirectly gave us permission to ride everywhere we wanted with the exception of the other side of the border monument we were standing near.

We ended up finding and following a pretty tight single track trail for the better part of an hour. Unfortunately, we came upon a hill that was entirely to washed out to attempt riding down (do I hear helicopters B) ) so we decided to turn around and call it a day. Next time out we're going to explore some trails just a little more to the East from where we ended our ride.

I didn't take my camera so I'm gonna give this post one of these...

ttiwwp.gif

...and ask one the guys who did bring a camera to hook this thread up.

Thanks, see ya next time.

Ride more, talk less.

Sounds like you guys had fun! B) It seems that that whole area has many options and unexplored trails, and it's so close to the people who live in the Southbay. On the way to Tecate, I noticed that the Barret entrance gate which is usually locked, was wide opened. I wonder if a border patrol agent forgot to lock it or if they are starting to open up some of those trails.

I was done when i got home nothing a nice long nap couldnt take care of though. I want to go back and check out that area some more! it may be the perfect spot for the summer as its not to hot unless your picking up a dr650 over and over again or hiking up a trail that we walked down only to discover major ruts, that was the turn around on the single. i think bikeslut has some pics of the ruts and trail. i'll be honest though that was one of the most difficult trails I've been on due to the trees/brush trying to stab you. should have taken pics of them but i was busy picking my bike up B).

i'm having some problems with the pics i'll get them up tomorrow

Jon, Ed, Bob - Fun ride today. Jon/Ed, thanks for throwing it together and extending the invite. I'd never been down in that area to ride before (just a sheltered Ramona boy).....it was interesting to see the view into Mexico.....definitely need to do some more exploring on some of the dirt off-chutes.....seemed every off-shute/single track we tried today just mysteriously ended a few hundred yards into it B) ......still fun to at least *try* to get lost :D. I'd be interested to see where that last single track ends up after you dip down through the ruts and cross to the other side......that being said, I definitely think we made the right decision this afternoon because it did appear to be a one way street if we went down.....best to know what you're heading into before you commit (as Bob reminded us).........besides, I had a blast heading back up the single track to the truck trail after we turned around (even though I did leave part of my jersey on a manzanita branch :D )

Sounds like you guys had fun! B) It seems that that whole area has many options and unexplored trails, and it's so close to the people who live in the Southbay. On the way to Tecate, I noticed that the Barret entrance gate which is usually locked, was wide opened. I wonder if a border patrol agent forgot to lock it or if they are starting to open up some of those trails.

That gate is usually closed but rarely locked. There are also some cool trails on the north side of the 94 right there that I explored a few weeks ago. Ran into a couple of gates, one closed but not locked and another that was closed and locked. Not much technical stuff out there but it's still fun. Hope to join y'all out there some time.

btw i seemed to have lost my rear blinkers to the otay mt. gods so i guess its off to cycle gear to get some more. anyone know of a good brand?

btw i seemed to have lost my rear blinkers to the otay mt. gods so i guess its off to cycle gear to get some more. anyone know of a good brand?

I use the ones attached to the end of my arms. Seems like they don't get broken as much, although after a crash I had one that was out for 6 weeks.

I use the ones attached to the end of my arms. Seems like they don't get broken as much, although after a crash I had one that was out for 6 weeks.

seem to have jacked the right one of those up yesterday also, thank god we dont have to pay for medical!

DSC05441.jpg

crawdaddy and hondapilot near antennas

DSC05440.jpg[/img]

bikeslut checking some views

DSC05439.jpg[/img]

spectacular view of the valley and hills

DSC05445.jpg[/img]

bunkers left over from WWII (so I'm told)

DSC05451.jpg[/img]

just this side of the border looking down on the fence

DSC05453.jpg[/img]

memorial near border

DSC05459.jpg[/img]

looks like a nice tame single doesn't it? that what i thought!

DSC05461.jpg[/img]

looking for a trail

Sounds like you guys had fun! <_< It seems that that whole area has many options and unexplored trails, and it's so close to the people who live in the Southbay. On the way to Tecate, I noticed that the Barret entrance gate which is usually locked, was wide opened. I wonder if a border patrol agent forgot to lock it or if they are starting to open up some of those trails.

That gate is usually closed but rarely locked. There are also some cool trails on the north side of the 94 right there that I explored a few weeks ago. Ran into a couple of gates, one closed but not locked and another that was closed and locked. Not much technical stuff out there but it's still fun. Hope to join y'all out there some time.

Here is a short video about coming down from Tecate Peak trail..... I did this Saturday....I got there from the area just east of Otay Mt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4S5B0QlUc

I'll try to get my pictures up later... and... as always... it is steeper than it looks.

repeat after me...

sure, we can get down... can WE get back up?

does the trail get worse or better?

If I can walk it, I can ride it...

How close are we to Brown Field?

post-122-1185314820_thumb.jpg

Ed (chickenheart) showing depth of the rut

post-122-1185314836_thumb.jpg

We decided not to go down here

post-122-1185314849_thumb.jpg

Where's the mayonnaise?

post-122-1185316343_thumb.jpg

Ed Chickenheart

post-122-1185316359_thumb.jpg

Hondapilot on the international trail

post-122-1185316367_thumb.jpg

craw posing for the senoritas

post-122-1185316383_thumb.jpg

Jon

Somebody let me know if these links work... they show up on my computer, but I'm not exactly internet savvy...