andymac

Yet another noob

Hello Everyone,

My name is Andy and I live in the Spring Valley/La Mesa area. I've been riding since 2004 when I bought my first and only bike, a 2005 F650GS. She's small but mighty and over the next few months I hope to kit her out properly for touring. That BMW stock seat is murder!

I actually have very little, almost no experince riding in the dirt but the lure of adventure riding is calling me to the dusty stuff. I'm not looking for hardcore motocross but Forest Service roads and such seem more my speed. To help with this I just put on new set of Trailwings. Yes I read all the "Deathwing" comments but found more comments from people who like them. Most of my riding will still likely be on the street so these tires seemed like the best choice. (Sorry for the self jusitfication ramble) In any case I'd love to tag along on a ride with some of the more experienced folks so I can learn to keep my butt off the ground. Well, most of the time anyway.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and thanks for letting me be part of this group.

Best of luck,

Andy

Careful what you wish for. I took a ride with some self-proclaimed "experienced" folk on my own chain-drive GS and wound up with a broken windscreen, bent levers, broken mirrors and a few other miscellaneous hanging plastic bits. However, it provided just enough incentive to get a proper dirt bike for such rides in the future.

Welcome to the board! Good to have another small BMW rider. Looking forward to seeing you on the trail!

-Aaron

Andy, Welcome to SDAR ! I will be organizing some noob-friendly rides good for big bikes, very soon.

Just did a trail ride today on deathwings...black diamond, singletrack type stuff...loose uphills, rocky descents, fire roads, and jumps.

They earn their reputation in the dirt

Welcome. A well graded 5 mile out & back dirt road isn't too far from you. Sloane Canyon Rd

Also, Proctor Valley Rd is graded dirt 'tween Jamul & CV - Eastlake area. Both good for getting your dirt legs.

Don't hesitate to post up a "I'd like to go ride - someone please lead me astray".......

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

KTM-I look forward to the organized rides.

Trophy-I'll check those roads out.

Andy, Welcome to SDAR ! I will be organizing some noob-friendly rides good for big bikes, very soon.

That is good news!! Why don't we just merge in the quarterly San Diego Back Country ADV rides with what you are planning? Strega, Arny Blake what do you think?