A lot of you ride up here and know 007. Sierra NF has done a study and has recommendations. Please read and respond.

Alert! Alert! Alert! …

The preliminary Environmental Analysis (EA) for the 007 Route is out for comment. The following link, http://a123.g.akamai.net/7/123/11558/abc123/forestservic.download.akamai.com/11558/www/nepa/77456_FSPLT2_128474.pdf will take you directly to the 007 trail project EA.

You can also locate the 007 Route EA on the Sierra National Forest web site by going to the quick links for environmental NEPA projects. Scroll down to the 007 Trail Link and click on the 007 prelimtEA (highlighted in blue) under project documents to view the EA.

PUBLIC COMMENTS ARE DUE BY JULY 17, 2012. If you do not take the time to provide comments you will be left with what the Forest Service gives you which could be closure of the most used trail in the Sierra National Forest.

The EA as written leaves a lot to be desired and has missed the mark on providing a high quality motorized trail system that the OHV community has asked for. The Stewards of the Sierra will be providing comments to the Sierra National Forest to modify Alternative 3 to design the entire trail for 50” or less, allow for unrestricted two way traffic and supports the realignment of sections to protect sensitive resources. The EA is very long, so focus on the alternative descriptions in Chapter 2 and the alternative maps located in appendix A.

A synopsis of the alternatives as proposed by the Forest Service:

Alternative 1: This is no action, the 007 trail network would not be brought forward as a motorized trail.

Alternative 2: The 007 trail would be brought forward as a limited motorized trail utilizing the existing alignment with unrestricted traffic. However segments of the existing alignment of this alternative would cause adverse impacts to sensitive resources and would restrict the entire lower section of 007 to single track only.

Alternative 3: The 007 trail would be brought forward as a limited motorized trail which incorporates rerouted sections to avoid sensitive resources, it restricts the lower section of 007 to single track only, and restricts direction of travel to odd and even days for downhill use only on one day and two way traffic on the next day.

Alternative 4: Completely deletes the lower section between the County Road 274 and the first crossing of the Central Camp Road 6S42.

PLEASE review the EA and submit your comments by July 17, 2012. The Stewards believe that after reading the EA you will come to the same conclusion that the odd even day restriction is over reaching and will cause a greater safety risk than allowing for proper trail design and brushing for site distance to address any safety potential concerns. In addition the trail should be designed as a 50” trail in its entirety to reduce the need to use the Central Camp Road with mixed vehicle traffic and provide greater OHV recreational opportunities.

For questions regarding this project please contact the Stewards of the Sierra National Forest at info@sotsnf.org The 007 trail was one of the biggest losses to the OHV community during the travel management process. This is an extremely urgent and important opportunity for the OHV community to get back what we have lost so do your part and SUPPORT the Stewards and COMMENT. The best way to lose the 007 trail forever is to not exercise your right to voice your comments.

To reply and recommend: (I'm going with Alt 3)

"007" Route #35501

Commenting on This Project

The Forest Service values public input. Comments received, including respondents’ names and addresses, will become part of the public record for this proposed action. Comments submitted anonymously will be accepted and considered; however, anonymous comments will not provide the agency with the ability to provide you with project updates. The Forest Service wishes to provide you with as many opportunities as possible to learn about our activities.

Submitting Comments

If you wish to submit a comment, please send it to:

Linda McPhail

1600 Tollhouse Road , Clovis, CA, 93611-0532

lmcphail01@fs.fed.us

If anyone wants to respond and write comments, please refer to how to write substantive comments in the Members Only Forums (using my comments letter to the local national forests as an example), they must be direct responses to each issue...not just "I don't support this, I don't want to see it closed".

I'm supporting Alt 3 with the exception of the every other day up/down BS. I would actually support a one way routing (downhill).

Please forward your comments to Linda with specific requests and the reasons why.

thanks

Larry Langley

Sent to Linda McPhail

Dear Linda,

I would like to comment on the plans for Trail 007.

I actually opened up this trail back around 1990 as a route on the High Sierra Dual Sport Ride out of Huntington Lake. I was riding up 6S42 when I noticed a USFS sign hidden in the bushes. I believe it was tagged as 6S42G if I remember correctly. The trail was unused and overgrown but I cleared it enough to ride and our event used it. Then some mountain bikers discovered it and named it 007. The "trail" itself I believe is part of the original road up to Central Camp and has been in existence for many years.

The trail is a very popular route for dual sport motorcyclists as it routes them off of the main road (6S42) and has been for many years. The mountain bike community has also used it and at one time ran a downhill race on it for a few years.

When the original SNF plan came out two years ago I was mystified why 007 only allowed motorcycle use approximately 1/2 way down. This was unacceptable and did not make sense. A trail that has been in use for over 20 years and actually beyond that and all of a sudden there are issues?

007 should be opened back up for use by motorcyclists. It can be adopted by an organization such as Stewards of the Sierra National Forest to maintain and provide labor to fix any litigation problems.

I would suggest Alt 3 without the "every other day" up or down use. Single track only at the bottom portion is fine with me. The whole trail is really considered single track anyway. There really is no reason to close 007 to motorcyclists as it has been used for over 20 years without any real damage.

Thank you for your consideration.

Larry Langley

PO Box 1488

North Fork, Ca 93643

Thanks larry,

unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to ride up that way....but I will try to read the report...I recently went to the CORVA workshop on writing substantive comments.....I'll send comments and use yours as a guide, but putting it in my words....hopefully I can make it up that way this year....deb