DSfox and I are going to the local meetings....anyone else able to make it to find out about what's happening in your backyard ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

LATEST CORVA NEWS

May 28th 2012

Dear CORVA Members, your help is needed

As we told you, the Forest Service is seeking public comments on a Proposed Amendment to the Land Management Plans for the four Southern California National Forests (the Angeles, Cleveland, Los Padres, and San Bernardino).

There will be 3 meetings, one this week and 2 next week for YOU to attend in person regarding the Cleveland National Forest.

The content and format of each meeting will be identical yet each forest will be presenting information specific to what the Proposed Amendment means LOCALLY. That is where YOU come in, you live near or have listed the Cleveland National Forest on your survey or in our database records as being important to you. We ask that you attend a meeting and please let us know if you did.

Forest Service staff officers will be available to answer questions and maps of the proposed changes will be available for YOUR viewing. The meeting times and locations are:

* Thursday, May 31, 2012, 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Palomar Ranger District Office, 1634 Black Canyon Road, Ramona, CA 92065

* Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Descanso Ranger District office, 3348 Alpine Blvd, Alpine, CA 91901

* Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Trabuco Ranger District office, 1147 E. 6th Street, Corona, CA 92879

The Proposed Amendments would modify the existing land use zones allocations in selected inventoried roadless areas to include more back country non-motorized and recommended wilderness areas. An alternate monitoring framework is also proposed. The full details of the proposed action can be found on the project webpage at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=35130

This Proposed Amendment to the Land Management Plan is part of the Settlement Agreement approved January 3, 2011, in the case of; California Resources Agency, et al vs. United States Department of Agriculture, and Center for Biological Diversity, et al vs. United States Department of Agriculture.

Can not attend a meeting? Here is how to make a Comment.

Comments should be received within 45 days of the publication of the Notice of Intent in the Federal Register. The Notice was published on Friday, April 27, 2012, and the comment period closes on Monday, June 11, 2012.

Send written comments to:

Cleveland National Forest, 10845 Rancho Bernardo Rd, Ste 200, San Diego, CA 92127-2107, ATTN: LMP Amendment.

Comments may be sent via e-mail to: socal_nf_lmp_amendment@fs.fed.us

or filed through the project web page at:

http://www.fs.fed.us/nepa/nepa_project_exp.php?project=35130

For further information contact Project Manager Bob Hawkins at:

socal_nf_lmp_amendment@fs.fed.us

We are, THE POWER OF ORANGE !

THANKS for your Support!

The California Off-Road Vehicle Association

I'll be there thursday as well.

I care.....but just can't make all the different meetings. Willing to do research on topics and meet when able.

I couldn't make the Thursday meeting in Ramona, had an emergency repair come up during work and couldn't get there in time.

So, I'll be going to the meeting in Alpine next Tuesday June 5th.

I couldn't make the Thursday meeting in Ramona, had an emergency repair come up during work and couldn't get there in time.

So, I'll be going to the meeting in Alpine next Tuesday June 5th.

The Mistress and I went to the meeting. It was set up more as an informational gathering. Maps and info on proposed changes and FS personel on hand to answer questions. No official speaker or Q&A forum. Saw maybe 25 people there. Everyone was broken up in groups as they would ask their questions related to their specific interests.

Cliff notes version of my Q&A with the ranger.

1) There are no road closures proposed

2) It is a proposal to convert lands designated as "Restricted motor vehicle access" to "Wilderness."

3) The areas affected are already designated as "Restricted motor vehicle access" meaning we can't ride there already.

4) Wilderness designated lands are only restricted access by mechanical means (Bicycle,motorcycle, car, etc) hiking, horses, and access for hunting are not effected.

The FS personel were more than happy to answer questions, but you have to know what questions to ask. They highly recommended e-mailing responses to the Dept. of Ag site listed in the OP.

dsfox and I are going to the meeting in Alpine today. I'm sure we'll also see our friend Ed Stovin from CORVA there.

We'll be representing SDAR, CORVA and public land users in general. We learned a lot from the CORVA Workshop last Saturday.

Even though there are no proposed road/trail closures in this new plan, there are more wilderness designations and backcountry non-motorized, and boundaries that come up to the edges of dirt roads and trails, which we have to make sure they give us enough extra room with these boundaries so that if a road needs to be re-routed due to a landslide, the wilderness boundary won't prevent that from happening.

* Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM, Descanso Ranger District office, 3348 Alpine Blvd, Alpine, CA 91901