husky4me

Cellular Service Coverage and Riding Solo

Without advertising my cellular service company, on recent rides I have found that I have excellent coverage on all the East Region (not that good in prior years). I have tested my phone in the middle of Potrero, Tecate, Border, Corral Canyon, Julian, Boulder Creek, Oriflamme, Ocotillo, and typically has active coverage. I typically don't like riding solo since I'm "a chicken", noob, and I know of other dangers around like robers, wild life, or an accident that I could end up unconscious. B) But it seems that occasional solo rides (not too far away from civilization) seem safer due to the cel coverage. Just this evening, went riding around some dirt without any planning (left my office early), and it was fun to do it like that. For one thing I was able to "shut up and ride" or "log off and ride." Ofcourse, I should probably always take water, blanket, energy bars, rope, tools, tubes, GPS, radio, flashlight, etc, etc, since you never know what could happen.. :) And also, I should probably not ride close to the border for safety reasons.. Any opinions on this, or I'm really off-the-wall?? :)

Ofcourse, I like riding with friends; :P but sometimes it's just fun to do it unplanned.... :P

and I know of other dangers around like robers, wild life, or an accident that I could end up unconscious. But it seems that occasional solo rides (not too far away from civilization) seem safer due to the cel coverage.

Ofcourse, I like riding with friends; :) but sometimes it's just fun to do it unplanned.... B)

Hard to use the phone if you are unconscious. The old off-road rule was to never ride solo. I often ride solo now, always trying to stay within my riding ability and (usually) keeping on well-marked and well traveled roads. The experiance of riding solo and exploring out in the middle of nowhere is something that I love.

Solo riding will also give you lots of chances to take kool pics of your trusty bike.

may2007118.jpg

may2007121.jpg

may2007122.jpg

Cool pics Paul B) Ya it's nice to ride alone at times no time and place to meet or be just stay within your abilities and let someone know that you are out riding, just with that inf. you could be found if something should happen. For me the risks are what makes the adventure be just that THE DOC. :):)

Martin, Nothing wrong with shooting the name of your cel provider out there when your coverage is that good in East County. Someone may be searching for a new provider and this could be good info for them.

Just don't overdo it.

Ride on,

Jon

Without advertising my cellular service company, on recent rides I have found that I have excellent coverage on all the East Region (not that good in prior years). I have tested my phone in the middle of Potrero, Tecate, Border, Corral Canyon, Julian, Boulder Creek, Oriflamme, Ocotillo, and typically has active coverage. I typically don't like riding solo since I'm "a chicken", noob, and I know of other dangers around like robers, wild life, or an accident that I could end up unconscious. :D But it seems that occasional solo rides (not too far away from civilization) seem safer due to the cel coverage. Just this evening, went riding around some dirt without any planning (left my office early), and it was fun to do it like that. For one thing I was able to "shut up and ride" or "log off and ride." Ofcourse, I should probably always take water, blanket, energy bars, rope, tools, tubes, GPS, radio, flashlight, etc, etc, since you never know what could happen.. B) And also, I should probably not ride close to the border for safety reasons.. Any opinions on this, or I'm really off-the-wall?? :D

Ofcourse, I like riding with friends; :D but sometimes it's just fun to do it unplanned.... :D

Nothing wrong with shooting the name of your cel provider out there when your coverage is that good in East County. Someone may be searching for a new provider and this could be good info for them.

I've been on some of the rides husky4me is talking about. My Verizon razr didn't work where his Cingular (I guess it's AT&T now) phone did.

Nothing wrong with shooting the name of your cel provider out there when your coverage is that good in East County. Someone may be searching for a new provider and this could be good info for them.

I've been on some of the rides husky4me is talking about. My Verizon razr didn't work where his Cingular (I guess it's AT&T now) phone did.

I agree with Two, I had Cingular, but switched to Verizon and can't get bleep for coverage in the boonies. I don't know if it was the service or the fact that I switched to a new fangled phone, an LG or something like that....I can't remember exactly what it was, because somebody liked it better than me, and took it from where I am employed B)

Most of my long distance rides are solo, and I don't rely or even think much about cell phone coverage. I rely on doing my best to be prepared for any occurence, make sure if I go down a trail, I'll be able to come back up it if I have to turn around, think about where I'm going before going there, and what will I do if something does happen, how long will it take it I have to walk out, do I have enough water, do I have some emergency food or power snacks.

It's all about being prepared. If I worry about what happens if I get hurt by myself, then I would never enjoy going exploring....there is some risk involved, but riding a motorcycle itself has some risk.

In the future, I plan on getting an emergency beacon that costs about $500, it broadcasts an emergency signal on the FAA airwaves and they have to send Search and Rescue out to look for you.

A Harley rider went down sunday afternoon on mesagrande, 3 miles behind the hideout,2 guys came running in screaming for a phone that works so I threw them the land line hideout, they dialed 911 and i split to do a scene survey, by the time they got back to the scene I sent htem back down the hill to call mercy air. the guy had open compound fractures of the tibia and fibula right leg, and compound femur fracture of the left leg,pelvic trouble and shock setting in with trouble breathing. 3 emts showed up right behind me from lake henshaw cdf and mercy air in 20 minutes of the call, we all had trouble calling out from where we were it.He is at palomar hospital near my house, visiting tonite.