Sign in to follow this  
2Wheels

DRZ400S vs KTM450EXC

I've been thinking about another bike in addition to my DR200. Gotta have 2 bikes so you have something to ride while one's in the shop.

I found this info on different forums and the manufacturers' websites.

-------------------450EXC--------------DRZ400S

Seat Height------36.5"------------------36.8"

Weight------------250#-----------------291#

Compression-----11.0:1---------------11.3:1

Price--------------$8000?--------------$5600

Xmsn-------------6 speed-------------5 speed

Cruise------------80 mph? ------------65 mph

Frame------------Aluminum------------Steel

I would like a bike that's able to cruise at 80 mph so I can ride it on the freeways around here. Sometimes people just want to run you over if you're going slower. It seems that to get the DRZ to go 80 comfortably, you have to change the gearing and then it's too high for riding in the dirt.

On Thumpertalk, it's unanimous that the KTM is a better dirt bike than the DRZ, but that you have to do more maintenance on it. All I do on my DR200 is lube the chain every few days, add oil when needed, clean the air filter every thousand miles, and take it to the dealer for service every 3,000 miles. I'm lazy about doing maintenance.

Do any of you guys with KTMs take them on the freeways? How comfortable are you with them at 80 mph? I couldn't find much about how they do at highway speeds on other forums.

Is it true you have to change the oil on them every 20 hours? That seems like overdoing it. Turbine engines only get oil changes every 100 hours.

How about valve adjustments. How often do you realistically have to adjust the valves.

The 650s do better at freeway speeds, but I only weigh 165# and I'd rather go with a mid-size bike for now.

The TE450 was loads of fun off-pavement, but had too much vibration on the street. Thanks, husky4me, for letting me ride yours.

It's gotta be plated from the factory. I don't want to deal with DMV or risk them yanking my registration.

EDIT AS OF 06-11-2007 2:00 PM

I should have thought to put this in when I did the original post, but better late than never.

The bike would see a daily round-trip commute of 15 miles. You don't need a 400 cc bike for that commute, but I would also take it on longer rides. For example, I would take it out to East County to explore out there. I do it all the time on my DR200, but I think I'm making that little motor work too hard by riding it at 55 MPH for a three-hour round trip on Highway 94.

A couple of the salesmen at South Bay Motorsports commute from East County on DRZ400's. One of them lives in El Cajon and the other in Alpine. They both take the freeways, but they've geared their bikes up. If they want to ride in the dirt, they change the sprockets. I've read a lot of posts on the DRZ forums on Thumpertalk from guys who do the same thing: put on a different sprocket for a different kind of riding. Wouldn't it be great if DRZ400's came with a 6th gear?

I think a DRZ would be an adequate dirt bike for me. A 450EXC would be a better dirt bike and it even has a sixth gear. I just want to find out about it before I buy anything.

The problem with getting a dirt bike to cruise at 80, is that they are geared for dirt...they don't have an infinite amount of power to pull tall gearing. They have good power for trails and fireroads. You would need a bigger motor to pull all that tall gearing with any meaningful acceleration, and then you would be getting into some "weighty" issues.

Is it true you have to change the oil on them every 20 hours? That seems like overdoing it. Turbine engines only get oil changes every 100 hours.

You have to consider how much oil is in a high revving four stroke dirt bike. Most of the modern bikes hold a little over a quart. A turbine engine holds a lot more than that. Also, most motorcycles incorporate the transmission into the same case as the crankshaft.

I am sure I will catch some flack for this but, if you have rode the TE450 you have already experienced the EXC 450. You have rode the TE 450 and I can't think of a bike that would be more similar to the EXC 450.

I think the cruising speeds of the DRZ and EXC will be very similar, the EXC being geared lower but with a 6th gear. If I had to choose one to drive 80 mph I would pick the DRZ not as "buzzy", however daily cruising at 80 MPH for either is a bit unrealistic.

The DRZ is going to be less maintenance(my manual says 3500 miles for oil changes I do mine at 1500 with synthetic), it is also less expensive, tons of aftermarket parts, very reliable and no where near as good off road as the EXC(or Husky). I would not want to ride either one 20 miles on the pavement. Yesterday Papaalex rode his EXC 35 miles on pavement ask him how much he enjoyed it and what a comfortable cruising speed is.

Valve maintenance usually is just checking the valves, many engines go many thousands of miles with out having to do any adjusting. I can check the valves on my DRZ in about the same amount of time it takes to change the oil, adjustment takes a little longer. The first scheduled valve check on a DRZ is about 7000 miles but I feel it should be done sooner. I suggest every other oil change as long as there is no movement in the valves, once you start noticing movement, check every oil change.

I think a better way to go would be something like a V-Strom or similar bike for highway, back roads and fireroads (in a pinch they will go over some pretty rough stuff). They are heavier, but you can also reach the ground without modifying the bike and you won't get monkey butt after a 10 mile pavement ride.

Next time we are on a ride together you are welcome to take the DRZ for a while to see how it feels.

Don't rule out the TE 450 either, not as popular as the EXC, but I believe every bit as good, and my personal choice if I upgrade from the DRZ. :) Ken

Joliet is right about the TE 450. I chose it because it cost less than the EXC, weighed within 5 pounds and because of all the technical features. Already geared for dirt out of the box, has coolant overflow bottle, don't need to pull cams to adjust valve shims, has manual and auto decompressor and hot start button in case your thumb gets tired of pushing the electric start. It has outstanding stability and low speed handling in technical situations. Not knocking KTM....I considered that first, but the Husky seemed like a better bargain. I certainly didn't pick it for street riding and I wouldn't pick the EXC for street riding either. Heck, my little KLX is a smoother, more comfortable ride on the pavement than either of those two, even if is revving uncomfortably at 55 mph.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Joliet is right about the TE 450. I chose it because it cost less than the EXC, weighed within 5 pounds and because of all the technical features. Already geared for dirt out of the box, has coolant overflow bottle, don't need to pull cams to adjust valve shims, has manual and auto decompressor and hot start button in case your thumb gets tired of pushing the electric start. It has outstanding stability and low speed handling in technical situations. Not knocking KTM....I considered that first, but the Husky seemed like a better bargain. I certainly didn't pick it for street riding and I wouldn't pick the EXC for street riding either. Heck, my little KLX is a smoother, more comfortable ride on the pavement than either of those two, even if is revving uncomfortably at 55 mph.

I agree completely but dont want to offend any potential customers. :)

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I've been leaning towards the DRZ for its lower price, but I think I really should consider all the options.

If you want high performance, low weight, cutting edge design, more fun, better on dirt, get a TE450. If you want less maintenance, more rounded bike for commuting, less cost, I would get a jap bike... :)

I can't really respond to your question since I don't have a DRZ400 or a KTM450EXC, but I have some comments. I have really enjoyed my TE450. In the beginning I felt uneasy on the road parts, but somehow I am used to it now. Last time we went riding to Potrero with stefano, I did not get tire, and it was a lot of fun. In general, I don't like to go over 65 on my TE450, occasionally I'll do 80 for a brief moment, but don't feel safe. I would not like to ride freeway with it either. In my opinion, the TE450 or 450EXC are high performance, fun bikes, and are not gear for the street (dirt bikes with a license plate). If you were thinking about more freeway, longer road parts etc, I would consider the jap bikes like the DRZ650, XR650L, or KLR650, or if you wanted European, the TE610 (cost the same as the TE450, has six speeds).

The thing about the TE450 is that it does not have an ignition key, or radiator fan, making street riding (waiting in the traffic) not very convenient. My TE only has a steering lock. I believe the European model comes with a radiator fan and with a ignition key, and you can probably get one (I heard). The maintenance schedule (or at least the oil changes) are more frequent. To me it is all worth it.

Cycleworld magazine did a comparison of the dual-sports sometime last year, and they really liked the TE610... for the XR650L they basically said it was the most dependable bike (air cooled) but was underpowered and had a design that had not changed in years (good bang for the buck). Their favorate was the KTM950.

decisions, decisions, decisions. :) It's all fun... B)

decisions, decisions, decisions. :) It's all fun... B)

Hybrid "do it all" experiments rarely leave you pleased (IMHO).......the power/weight/suspension requirements are different.......my $.02 would be to buy a "road" bike and a "dirt" bike......just as it's best to buy a "road" bicycle and a "dirt" bicycle......

If buying two bikes is not an option then you really need to consider "the mission"......if your mission is 50/50 mix of street (at speed) /dirt I wouldn't even consider a EXC/TE......if your mission is 10/90 mix of street/dirt those two bikes would be near the top of my list (top would be my 2002 EXC 520 :) )

I really like my BMW G650X challenge, it's a great bike! But in retrospect, I think I should have bought a bigger bike like the BMW R1200 GS, or KTM 990, since I'm alreay pretty much covered for the dirt part with the TE450. In fact, I may be trading the G650X for a bigger bike, that's a possibility. So, I was thinking, that if you plan to keep your DR200, maybe you should go a little bigger so you can plan some longer trips like Baja, Can-Mex, Sierra, or even TransAmerican.. The weight of the DRZ400S is 291, Husqvarna TE610 is 308 (17 lb difference).. The TE610 has a six speed, and lots of people have used it in longer rides to Baja, TransAmerica trail etc. There's a bigger tank available for it. The european model has fuel injection and for 08 it will probably come with fuel injection to the U.S. Since it has a radiator fan, ignition key, passenger pegs, it's a bike you can commute around, enjoy in the dirt and go on longer trips. The only issues would be the seat and the hight, but I believe you can adjust the suspension, and get a more comfortable seat for the longer rides. It has great components, and most of the comments are thumpertalk are positive. I'm not trying to push Husqvarna to you, but I just thought maybe it could work out for you. The dealerships have a promo where you can take a test ride (if you want we can take one at GP San Diego, call Josh and scheduled it). Both the TE610 (which by the way has 10 lb lighter than the G650X dry) and the G650X have after market products like bigger tanks etc... we can ride all the way to the tip of Baja, or go to Canada.. B)

It costs the same as the TE450 (lists at 7299.00 and I believe the set up fee etc should be about $300.00). Mark Sampson (bigdogadventures.com) changed his DRZ400S for the TE610 and has been ever pleased :)

Anyway, just more ideas for you.... :)

By the way, there are rummors that BMW is negotiating buying Husqvarna (not sure if this is good or bad, but I thought I would tell you about it).

The TE610 has a six speed, and lots of people have used it in longer rides to Baja, TransAmerica trail etc. There's a bigger tank available for it. The european model has fuel injection and for 08 it will probably come with fuel injection to the U.S. Since it has a radiator fan, ignition key, passenger pegs, it's a bike you can commute around, enjoy in the dirt and go on longer trips.

Decisions, Decisions. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 bikes. I'll have to find out about the 610, but it's late now. I'll work on it tomorrow.

I just thought of an idea for a Baja trip. We could both get cheap beater bikes, ride them south until they break down, then take the bus back. That could be an interesting trip.

The TE610 has a six speed, and lots of people have used it in longer rides to Baja, TransAmerica trail etc. There's a bigger tank available for it. The european model has fuel injection and for 08 it will probably come with fuel injection to the U.S. Since it has a radiator fan, ignition key, passenger pegs, it's a bike you can commute around, enjoy in the dirt and go on longer trips.

Decisions, Decisions. I thought I had it narrowed down to 2 bikes. I'll have to find out about the 610, but it's late now. I'll work on it tomorrow.

I just thought of an idea for a Baja trip. We could both get cheap beater bikes, ride them south until they break down, then take the bus back. That could be an interesting trip.

Now, that's what I call an adventure!!! :P We can also ride them all the way to Chile to see the next International Six Day Enduro Race!! Well, when they brake down in the middle of latin america, or in the jungles of Brazil, then we can continue the adventure on top of a dunkey, or something... :):)B)

Did anybody watch the movie "motorcycle diaries" where this two guys travel in an old Norton motorcycle until it completely breaks down??

dual sports are compromises...

my current bikes included...DRZ, V Strom and tw200. If somebody is faster than me in the dirt while I'm on my DRZ, it's because they are faster than me... it's not the bike.

I could ride the DRZ as my commuter, if I HAD to... thank goodness I don't

I have ridden my V Strom on Kearnan... I won't be doing that again, but it CAN be done.

the TW has been all over Corral, all over the desert, and on the freeways of Arizona.

If somebody is faster than me in the dirt while I'm on my DRZ, it's because they are faster than me... it's not the bike.

I gotta agree: 90% rider 10% bike. When I rode huky4me's TE450, it felt unfamiliar to me, and I thought I was a little slower than on my DR200 on the dirt roads. Just a little movement of that throttle and LOOK OUT! But it sure was nice having plenty of power on the hills.

If somebody is faster than me in the dirt while I'm on my DRZ, it's because they are faster than me... it's not the bike.

I gotta agree: 90% rider 10% bike. When I rode huky4me's TE450, it felt unfamiliar to me, and I thought I was a little slower than on my DR200 on the dirt roads. Just a little movement of that throttle and LOOK OUT! But it sure was nice having plenty of power on the hills.

To me going from DR650 to KTM450 is just much more fun riding experience on KTM. I do not ride that much faster than before, but I do much better in technical stuff. KTM is lighter, snappy and more power, more responsive and just mooooore fun. Even the way the motor sounds give me a trill.

papa

Did 2 wheels get a new bike??? We need details and more pics. Congrats, :lol: Ken

Gosh, ya lose your tail light and buy a new bike. Congratulations. At least your brakes'll work now :lol:

Thanks to all who replied. Bikeslut - I gave you more gas for your reply on Thumper Talk.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20070817DrZHPIM0465OCMSCropped.jpg

Picked it up at Orange County Motor Sports.

- They advertise in the Cycle Trader.

- Good prices.

- No surprises.

- Worth the drive to Orange County.

It was almost as easy as buying a gallon of milk at the Grocery Store.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I was at O.C. Motor Sports, this bike caught my eye.

Triumph Scrambler

20070817DrZHPIM0467.jpg

What caught my eye was the upright riding position and the exhaust away from the ground. It felt pretty light when I sat on it. Put a skid plate on it and you could ride it over some pretty big rocks. And since the seat is pretty low, someone who feels insecure riding over rocks could even paddle over them on this bike.

MSRP is $7,999. If only I had unlimited funds and unlimited space.