If you run radial trials tires watch for tube creep or it could be the tire spinning on the rim. It really doesn't matter the result is a flat caused by the valve stem being pulled out. I noticed a while ago the tube stem on my 300 was at a slight angle over the weekend it went flat in the garage. The stem was ripped out of the tube. In the past I remedied this by repeatedly de and reinflating the tube untill the stem was straight again. This time I got a little lazy and it cost me a $25 tube.

Maybe, but on 3 different bikes ? Also I've not, that I can recolect, had this happen with knobbies.

assuming the stem goes in the direction you would expect (front vs rear tire)

maybe: the softer sidewalls and lower pressure allow the tire to deform (think dragster rear tires) upon acceleration, and it pulls the tube with it, then as the tire "relaxes" the tube stays in place?

Just a thought

Had a long talk with the dunlop rep about trials tires on Thursday at Bike NIght.........sounded like the radial trials tires were awesome...he did say they are a much softer compound than the Pirelli's.......and function amazingly well for offroad applications.....and as long as your're not doing long stretches of road when heat will distort them too much........BUT then he mentioned the radial versions are not DOT tires.....thus why most of us use the MT43's....haven't heard of your issue with those?...

I haven't run the MT43 long enough to find out. I would think Bikesluts idea is a good one to explain this issue. It mafes sense that the tube creeps inside the radial tire rather than the tire spins on the rim. Understand it takes 500 miles or so for this to become a problem and then it's easily remendied. Anyone who's mounted a Dunlop trials tire can tell you how sticky rubber complicates an already aggravating task. Still the benefits of a trials tire outweigh its quirks, great traction, smooth ride, low impact on trails, long life.

I have had the same issue, not exclusevly with the trials tire, but more with the heavy duty tubes run at low pressure. They do creep and the stem comes out at an angle. Knobbies and trials too. With me they seem to move a bit when new and then just stay there. I use a lot of talc when mounting and i think that may contribute to the movement. next time I change a tire I'm gonna try it with out talc and see if they stay in one place better. So far no flats because of the creep. I never use a nut on the valve stem.