dirt dame

wishful thinking ride

I'd like to do this ride someday, on an Adventure Bike with camping gear....I usually camp some, motel it some....I like a bed instead of the ground once in awhile :)

If anyone needs advice on camping gear, lightweight stuff, what to bring, on multi-day adventure rides, I'd be happy to help. I pretty much have it down to the essentials, but this is for my bike with saddlebags and carrying capacity for gear. I guess I'm spoiled :)

I also have a very comprehensive list I got off a website called "Wetleather", a bunch of folks who live and ride in the Pacific Northwest, and their list is great....I just went through it and highlighted the essentials....I don't think anyone can forget anything after referring to that list. I'll try to find a link to it, then we can start a thread for Adventure Gear/Camping Gear.

On a smaller bike, you must carry much less and most likely carry a backpack.

OK all, go get an adventure bike !! :):D:)B)

Another problem, at least for me....is what to do at the end of the ride. Presumably we would end up on the beachfront in Oregon. I would be sitting there on a smaller bike with about 1000 miles between me and my house. As a matter of fact, I have to think about how I and my machine will appear at whatever the starting point of my ride will be.

That's an easy part. Rent a van/truck from Uhaul, etc for a one way trip to the start point. Then you rent one for a one way trip to home. I have done 300+ mile days on the pavement on my DRZ and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

:) Duh, why didn't I think of that? Thanks :)

Hey KTMrad, I spent a year in washington. Up there, you either ride in the rain or you dn't ride :)

They have a say ing up there too, it goes "If you can see the top of Mount Ranier it means it will rain in 24 hours and if you can't see the top of Mount Ranier it means it's raining " And they weren't kidding. I don't remember the Wet Leather guys, maybe it was before their time. I belonged to a bunch of clubs up there, but my favorite one was Puget Sound Enduro Riders, also known as the"Pissers" for short :) We were all dirt, no street and we put on some crazy enduroes and poker runs through the forests of Western Washington. Good times! Hope to make some more good times here with the Adventure Riders.

Whoops! Hijacked my own thread there....sorry about that. Just having fond memories B)

Thanks for adding all the good ideas and tips on this forum, those who did. Now all I gotta do is start saving up the pennies and see who is gonna go and where, since a pretty solid when is already established.

O.K. I think I can make it with my G650X.. I found this story of Ramona Echhorn doing a trip all dirt from Canada to Mexico last October in her 650X... here's the picture..

stage06_04.jpg

There is a story full of pictures on this site (go to on tour section and click on can-mex).

http://specials.bmw-motorrad.com/specials/...d/en/index.html

Oh, well, then I saw a picture of her doing the trans-american trail on the all mighty KTM990 (advertised on the KTM publication underground).. If I put a bigger tank, I think I can make it.. I just need all the other gear now.... :)

man i'm getting excited about this, if there is enough riders then we can spread the camping gear around and not have to carry so much individualy.

Wow, I can't believe I've ignored this thread til now. This sounds exactly like something I'd be up for!! I'm sure I could get a hall pass for a couple of weeks. :)

I used to do a lot of mountaineering so I have a ton (well, actually it doesn't weigh that much, there's just a lot of it, but anyways . . .) of camping gear.

I like the idea of camping for a couple of nights and then hitting a motel. Not for the bed, my sleeping bag's comfy, but to take a shower.

A good tune up ride would be down the Pacific coast of Baja for a couple of days, cut across to the Gulf side, and back home. About a week of that will give you a good feel for the big trip. Good camping, bad water, and the rooms are ok when you can find them. :)

With all this talk of a long distance ride and all the interest in a longer ride has gotten me back to planning my Beach to River ride. This would be a good warmup to something longer.

It's too hot now so look for it early fall. ~3 days of riding.

Jon

A good tune up ride would be down the Pacific coast of Baja for a couple of days, cut across to the Gulf side, and back home. About a week of that will give you a good feel for the big trip. Good camping, bad water, and the rooms are ok when you can find them. :D

Sorry, but I don't want to experience the effects of bad water(or food) :D while on a motorcycle. Been there, done that. Once is enough, and that was on a street touring trip-and I hadn't even left the U.S. It would be twice as bad on a dirt tour. I would have to get out my "just shoot me" sign :D

A good tune up ride would be down the Pacific coast of Baja for a couple of days, cut across to the Gulf side, and back home. About a week of that will give you a good feel for the big trip. Good camping, bad water, and the rooms are ok when you can find them. :D

just let me know when i'd love a 3dayer to prep